I need help!

Options
I don't workout as much as I should, and I know that, I'm working on it. But I must be doing something wrong because I keep gaining and losing the same 5 lbs and I can't seem to get out of this funk! I've been really bad this week with eating out and the Easter candy, but even when there aren't any sweets and I eat at home all week I still can't get the weight to come off. I need nice, caring people who can offer suggestions or advice to help me on my path. I need to lose 50+ lbs ASAP (for health reasons).

Replies

• Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Gaining and losing the same 5lbs for how long? Looking over your diary you are at 1100-1200 calories most days and then go up to 1700-1900 on other days. The below 1200 calories can cause a stall, and the higher end can cause a stall. Doesn't mean actual gain in fat, but just fluctuation. Your sodium is high too which can cause the body to hold onto water. Exercise will burn some calories, add strength, build cardio and make you feel all around better - but weight loss is 85% food.

What is your height / weight and goal weight? Do you know your TDEE, BMR, etc.?

Just my opinion...

Keep your calories between 1300-1500, reduce your sodium to at least under 2000 (America Heart Association and Center for Disease Control actually recommend 1500), and drink plenty of water - 2-3 liters a day. Find something you can stick 100% to for at least 1 week and see how it changes you.

and start adding in exercise - little walks can do wonders, especially when they build into bigger walks! :wink:
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I was like that when all I would do was run...I switched up my routine two weeks ago and now I go swimmining instead and the pounds are just melting off and I am really noticing a difference in muscle tone. I would try swimmining, it doesnt hurt nearly as bad as running and youll find you can do it twice as long!!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Work on getting your diet back on track. Focus on lean proteins, fruits and vegetables. Get intoa good workout routine that includes both cardio and strength training. Stop looking at the scale. Put it away for a month. Focus on getting back on track and making habit changes.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What i found that helped me out a lot was the whole fruit and veggie thing. I have found ways to sneak them into everything i eat LOL.

Like if i make a sand which i use kale instead of regular lettuce.

If i make tacos... i put kale also instead of lettuce.

I like making chopped up barbecue chicken and i make sure i throw in chopped red pepper green pepper onions mushrooms. even if i just have to buy a can of something to throw into whatever im making.... Its a very small change that can change everything. Like it stretches out the amount of food you have ridiculously. because i am probably eating half the meat i would normally be eating and its very low calorie things filling me up.

You should check out this documentary if you can: Hungry for Change. Its on Netflix... hopefully you have an account.

It honestly changed me and my eating habits for the better. i don't follow everything they said but i started with eating more fruits and veggies and stopping the fast food and processed sugars. its working very well for me.

As for the exercise. try to just ease into it. you don't have to go running everyday. you can take walks right after dinner. or during your lunch break if you work. If you like window shopping make it a habit to go into your mall and just walk and look at stuff. little small changes will lead to bigger ones =)

best of luck sweety
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok, i'm going to rant. . You eat practically no real food. Fast food isn't real food, prepackage food isn't real food, candy and diet soda isn't real food. You need to eat more meals, more often. Many days you don't seem to eat breakfast. Start there. Buy natural, actual food. Fruits, vegetables, grains, lean baked protein. I get that its hard to cook. But i work full time, have a 1 and 3 year old, and i make the time (because its important) to cook 3 meals a day (most days). Don't believe what people tell you when they say "as long as its within your calories". There are no nutrients in that garbage! If you eat only 1000 calories a day, but its all from mcdonalds. You are still not going to be healthy. Think of it as fuel. You can buy ethanol riddled cheap gasoline, or you can buy premium? Its going to make a world of difference.
  • doulanik
    doulanik Posts: 84
    Options
    Ok, i'm going to rant. . You eat practically no real food. Fast food isn't real food, prepackage food isn't real food, candy and diet soda isn't real food. You need to eat more meals, more often. Many days you don't seem to eat breakfast. Start there. Buy natural, actual food. Fruits, vegetables, grains, lean baked protein. I get that its hard to cook. But i work full time, have a 1 and 3 year old, and i make the time (because its important) to cook 3 meals a day (most days). Don't believe what people tell you when they say "as long as its within your calories". There are no nutrients in that garbage! If you eat only 1000 calories a day, but its all from mcdonalds. You are still not going to be healthy. Think of it as fuel. You can buy ethanol riddled cheap gasoline, or you can buy premium? Its going to make a world of difference.

I did eat a lot of crap this week. We are in the process of moving to a different city so we spent several days away from home looking at places to live, and I was unable to cook much. I'm a recovering fast food addict, so it's a little slow-going with me. I'm trying to make better choices!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I would say, first work on the consistency. Be as accurate as you can in weighing all your food and logging everything. Do that for a few weeks and go from there. I'm saying this because the way you're talking about it makes it sound as if you haven't been completely consistent. You won't get the best advice re calorie intake until you can say you've been at a certain level for several weeks with no change on the scale or inches lost.

And yes - nutrition is important but it can take time to change life-long habits. Get the calories sorted out first, and the rest will likely follow. To say that you haven't been getting any nutrients, even in the past week, is silly.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did eat a lot of crap this week. We are in the process of moving to a different city so we spent several days away from home looking at places to live, and I was unable to cook much. I'm a recovering fast food addict, so it's a little slow-going with me. I'm trying to make better choices!!

Uhg, I was (am) the same way. I used to eat nothing but fast food, pizza, and junk food. It's hard to change from years of conditioning yourself to enjoy all that fat, sugar, and salt. Try to start with being consistent like the above said. Then look at your meals and decide what you can start replacing. I replaced fries with apple slices, soda with tea, no pickles to reduce sodium, found that burger king had less sodium than mcdonalds, then started making my own burgers at home with better bread (wheat) because of how many calories, carbs, and sodium is in fast food bread. Took me months to do that. It's all about learning and making little changes. Soon the little changes become the habits.

You're already on your way, so keep logging your food so you can see what you are actually eating and see where you can do better! :smile: