How can I fit exercise around school?

Options
I'm a freshman in college and was wondering if any other college students on here (or just people with a busy life) have tips on fitting exercise in. I'm able to get about 20 minutes of yoga in every morning, but other than that can't really find time. Suggestions?

Replies

• claire2610
    claire2610 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher so was attracted to your post for very different reasons but i do live a very busy life too and i'd like to try and help!

Make exercise a social occassion - I swim regularly with my mum and we use it mainly as a chance for a good catch up! I also used dance classes as a way to meet new people and make friends!

Other silly things like walking as much as possible have really helped. Going the long way into town on a Saturday has been a nice way of getting out and walking.

But mainly as I am used to living a timetabled life - i timetable my gym sessions and classes into my week and fit other things around them.
    I'm lucky as i have understanding friends, family and boyfriend and they are quite happy to meet me after classes, or after gym sessions!

Good luck!
    Claire
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    There's always time! Do you watch TV? Run (I mean RUN) in place during commercials. Do you work? On your break(s) get up and walk around the office. Do lunges down the hallway. Get a lunch that you can eat while walking and see if your coworkers would like to walk with you at lunch. Are you studying? If you have to sit and read something, sit in a dining chair (hard-backed) and lift your feet off the ground while you're reading. Sit with a straight back, and lift your feet at the same time off the floor and see how long you can hold it. Rest for 30 seconds, then keep doing it. If you're doing flashcards, make yourself jog in place while reading them, and then if you get an answer wrong, run in place as quickly as possible until you get one right again! There is always time ;)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just have to get up and do it. I find if I wait, I won't do it.

I actually picked my classes one semester around my gym times. I am a morning person, but picked later classes so I could get up early, go the gym, then shower and still have time to lounge around before class. Or, make all morning classes and go right after class.

Yeah, as you have less and less classes to take, that gets harder, but you just have to make it a priority. I did that, lost 50lbs, then just kind of stopped (for no good reason) and have gained half that weight back. Just gotta keep working at it.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher so was attracted to your post for very different reasons but i do live a very busy life too and i'd like to try and help!

Make exercise a social occassion - I swim regularly with my mum and we use it mainly as a chance for a good catch up! I also used dance classes as a way to meet new people and make friends!

Other silly things like walking as much as possible have really helped. Going the long way into town on a Saturday has been a nice way of getting out and walking.

But mainly as I am used to living a timetabled life - i timetable my gym sessions and classes into my week and fit other things around them.
    I'm lucky as i have understanding friends, family and boyfriend and they are quite happy to meet me after classes, or after gym sessions!

Good luck!
    Claire

What she said. Sometimes it's just a matter of making exercise a priority in your life. Look at your class schedule, and schedule your exercise around that, and everything else around those two.
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    I am a nursing student, work 40+ hours a week and have an almost 3 year old son... I work out. You just have to make the time to do it. If it is truly important to you, you will make the time. Get up earlier in the a.m. so you can get more time in. Plan ahead. Make a schuedule and stick to it. I think exercise is a good way to clear your head, it does help me focus or it give me more time to think about the last lecture or test I have... While studying, give yourself a 30 min break and go for a walk or jog. Just go do it.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go to the rec center! They'll have tons of FUN options that will help keep you active. It's also a great way to meet new friends who also enjoy an active lifestyle!
  • camberwellbeauty
    camberwellbeauty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you haven't got a lot of time to exercise why don't you just put lots of effort into walking, you can powerwalk to your classes, no lifts, use the stairs and put some effort into it, have your lunch and have a brisk walk around the grounds. I wear a pedometer most days and when i'm at work I can walk as much as 7 miles in a day....good luck....:wink:
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    At lunchtime - before you eat your food, go for a brisk 20 minutes walk that makes you pant and feel sweaty. Then go and eat but drink lots.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I have three kids and graduated from law school a little over a year ago. I commuted to school and opted to walk the two miles from the ferry terminal (I live on an island) to school instead of taking the bus, same on the way back. It wasn't a lot but it was something, and it was consistent. Try to build it into what you MUST do each day.

Now I STILL have three kids and work full time. I get up at 4:30 am to do a DVD. I just do. Then I walk about 20 minutes to and from work/ferry.

You just need to decide that it is THAT important.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Join an intramural sport.
    Take a PE class
    Go to the rec center

Time is made, not found. Sit down and write out your schedule. Put in your classes, any official extracurricular activities you and work hours, if you have a job. Identify specific times for workouts and studying. This may cut back on your hanging out time, but you will probably find yourself spending more quality time with your friends. Depending on what you choose, your friends may join you and/ or you may make new friends.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    How many hours a day do you watch TV, play video games, or surf the net? Subtract 2 hours from that and exercise instead.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you spend more than an hour vegging out and watching TV or hanging with friends? If yes, there's definitely time, you just have to make it. I am a mother of two who works full time outside the home. I am up by 4:30 most days, I work out, I'm in the shower by 6. If my 4 year has stayed asleep through all that, I'll go flip on her light to start to roust her by 6:30. I'm rousting my 12 year old by 6:15. We are ready to hit the door by 7-7:15 most days. I work from whenver I get there after dropping LO off at 7:30 until 4:30. Pick LO one up, Big Kid if she had an after school activity, home, then dinner. My husband and I usually veg out at his point. One night I week I run the girls to gymnastics and I get in an extra workout while I'm watching them using the gym's fitness room that overlooks the gym. I also run on Saturdays, sometimes on Sundays.

You may have to dip into your hangout with your friends time or get in some really good workouts on weekends. You could also look into taking like a 1 credit fitness class of some sort if it fits your schedule and doesn't cost extra.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    As a previous full time college student that also worked, I can tell you, you have time, you just have to MAKE time. Try quick work outs, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is only 27 (with warm up and cool down) minutes a day. The days are getting longer and warmer, which means plenty of times for walks or bike rides. I wish I would have taken better advantage of the resources my college had (free rec center, cheap or free classes). You can do it, you just have to make yourself do it.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you really want to do it, you'll find time. If not, you'll find an excuse.

As a college freshman I remember having PLENTY of time to go workout. I'm wondering what kind of schedule you're saying you have that keeps you busy from wake til sleep.

I'm sure your college has a fitness center of some sort. Use it. I used to go run stairs in our basketball arena when nothing was going on in there.

I understand wanting to hang out with friends but just get them involved. Go get some tennis raquets and play tennis. Go buy a frisbee and throw it around or play ultimate frisbee. Sign up for intramural sports like ultimate frisbee, softball, or soccer since they keep a set schedule for games.

You can find the time.
  • NYFAN07
    NYFAN07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wake up an hour earlier and run if you dont have time during the day
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly concur with making exercise a social thing. One of the best things that happened to me as a freshman was when I tagged along with some former football players on their trips to the gym. Not only did I learn more from them than I did in every previous P.E. course I'd taken, but because we were hanging out while working out, it was fun. (Before anyone scoffs, no, we weren't one of those packs of males who just sit on the equipment. There were four of us and we followed the "you get to rest while your buddy works" method, so every piece of equipment was actively being used while we talked.)
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Does your school offer a gym? Work out between classes. Or sign up for an exercise class (they're usually 1 credit and you can count 2-3 as electives even for most BA degrees depending on what your school allows)
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I'm a teacher (band director) and mom of two and find that even though I really hate getting up early, my best bet is to get up half an hour early to fit in a workout, then as soon as I get home I'm on the exercise bike or walking for 20 minutes. I'm busy, but I've managed to carve out 2 20 minute sessions. I rest Saturday AND Sunday (though am going to start exercising on Saturdays as soon as I get my house settled back the way I want it, I figure all the moving and deep cleaning counts for SOMETHING right now, even though I don't log it)
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There are different ways. I work full time and I go to grad school and I have to make myself most days. But its possible.

Do you go to a 4-year university? Do you live on or close to campus? I don't know about all colleges, but my college had a work out room and even had different types of aerobic classes like kickboxing, water aerobics, step-class etc.

Do you have a gaming system like a Wii or a X box? If so, there are TONS of workout games you can buy. Buy them used and use them 3+ times a week. If you can grab friends to do it with you, even better! Make it a competition or a game. Bet money on it.

Also, every college, 2 year or 4 year, have P.E. classes. These are usually one or two credit classes and last the whole semester. You could take one of those every semester or at least for one semester to kick start your routine.

Do you have a DVD player? Buy a Zumba workout dvd or any other workout dvd and do it whenever you want.

If all else fails, use your commute to and from class for exercise. Walk to every class, don't take the shuttle if you live on campus. If you commute to school, park farther away from your class building and walk there. As the weather gets nicer, walk around campus or your neighborhood. Mix it up so you don't get bored with it.

I hope this helps.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier, go out to party later after the gym, exercise ball while studying, do a circuit while on study breaks(10 push-ups, 10 lunges per side, 20 squats, and 20 situps).

I am a nurse that works 84 hours a week, I am in the gym 4 days a week and 3-4 days cardio on top of that. You just have to want it!