Cheesecake Factory Nutrition Chart Inaccuracies

Options
Last night I went to the Cheesecake factory and had half a plate of fish tacos. Their nutrition chart lists the whole plate as
1221 cal, 9g fat, 130 carb. They don't list protein. There's 9 calories per gram of fat, 4 calories per gram or carb, and 4 calories per gram of protein that would mean there are 520 calories from carbs, 81 calories from fat, to equal 601 calories to subtract from 1221 which would leave 620 calories from protein, equaling 155g of protein. This is highly unlikely considering there is roughly 20-22g of protein per 3oz of fish. That would mean the plate should have around 7oz of fish and it definitely did not. Somethings not right here!

Replies

• evansproudmama
    Options
    This is why I try to eat out only on special occasions and when I do I tend to accept that I'm prob. not eating very good even if it seems to be healthy. There is just to many variables that affect food that you aren't making yourself that you really can never be sure. Oh well hope you enjoyed your dinner :-)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    well, for one thing, Carbs are right *kitten*. Net Carbs x 4 doesn't always equal Carbs x 4. Sometimes, Fiber (which counts as carbs) get subtracted, meaning that it might say 5 grams of Carbs, but it might be 15 grams of Carbs that they expect you'll mostly crap out later (oversimplifying, but hey...)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Last night I went to the Cheesecake factory and had half a plate of fish tacos. Their nutrition chart lists the whole plate as
    1221 cal, 9g fat, 130 carb. They don't list protein. There's 9 calories per gram of fat, 4 calories per gram or carb, and 4 calories per gram of protein that would mean there are 520 calories from carbs, 81 calories from fat, to equal 601 calories to subtract from 1221 which would leave 620 calories from protein, equaling 155g of protein. This is highly unlikely considering there is roughly 20-22g of protein per 3oz of fish. That would mean the plate should have around 7oz of fish and it definitely did not. Somethings not right here!

You didnt specify where you saw this posted. Is this in the MFP database or provided by Cheesecake Factory?

Ive ran into the same issue with many user input things on MFP. Calculations never added up because the geniuses who entered the food into MFP cant count to potato.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging numbers. They have the highest calorie meals of the entire restaurant industry.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You didnt specify where you saw this posted. Is this in the MFP database or provided by Cheesecake Factory?

Ive ran into the same issue with many user input things on MFP. Calculations never added up because the geniuses who entered the food into MFP cant count to potato.

I've seen this too. I often have to scroll through the 15 wrong entries to find that one right one.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Sorry here is the source: http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?

I just contacted them about this maybe I'll get a reply.
  • punkypenny
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were fudging numbers. They have the highest calorie meals of the entire restaurant industry.

That's what I'm thinking. It wouldn't surprise me either.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory / Nutrition numbers. There's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Just enjoy your dinner. Move on. You did the smart thing and ate half. No damage done. Life is like this. :flowerforyou:
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also, you got the data from http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php? which IS NOT affiliated with cheesecake factory, so..... yeah.... Cheesecake Factory states that they won't give you the information in their FAQ/About Us section.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Did you get the info from here? http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-item.php?rid=58&mid=1993 I don't think this is an official Cheesecake Factory site. Like a lot of big restaurant chains, I don't believe Cheesecake Factory publishes their full nutritional info online for public consumption.

The data is suspect, anyway. They list fat at 0 but list 9g saturated fat. Obviously, the data is not complete and probably completely inaccurate.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry here is the source: http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?

I just contacted them about this maybe I'll get a reply.

Ouch! hopefully they will reply. I cant remember what food I was searching for on MFP (it was only a week ago) but the number of carbs (g), fat (g), and protein (g) (was zero) did not add up to the total number of calories that was reported. Thats why i thought it might be user error. Maybe in this case, its still user error? But on the CF site??
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Looks like the data from that site was taken from here: http://calorielab.com/news/wp-images/post-images/cheesecake-factory-nutrition-facts-calories-04.gif This info is a photo from a restaurant menu in a state where restaurants are required to provide specific nutrition info on their menu. It appears that in Washington they only have to provide calories, saturated fat, sodium and carbs. Since that's all that's required by law, that's all the info you're going to get. It doesn't mean it's complete nutritional info. But the info that's there is probably accurate.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    No carbs for LIFE!! = no worries
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I've been on Myfitnesspal for a minute, and these type of discussions usually go into Extra Innings.

Really, I'll save you twelve pages of forum reading. YOU WILL NEVER GET EXACT INFO ON CF OR ANY FULL SERVICE restaurant foods.

Chalk it up to a nice evening with family and friends and move. on.

No use looking back. Be in the moment. Or if you can't, at least look forward. Yesterday is done.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So if McDonald can put calories on their menu why cant cheesecake factory? people blame McDonald for obesity, at least they are trying to give you some idea of the garbage you are eating. (nowadays anyway)
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not sure what state you're in, but here in Cali, Cheesecake factoray has a nutritional info "book" that they drop at the table with their menus... i find that the calorie information in those books does sometimes differ from the info here on MFP's database.. which is why I use the info from the restaurant to log my meals... their calorie counts are usually higher.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    when you eat out it's impossible for the calories to be correct...I am a waitress and am in and out of the kitchen all the time, cooks do not sit there and measure things out...its more like a dash of this a handful of this etc.... the best thing to do is only pick one day a week to eat out ("cheat" day) and that day do an intense workout and burn alot of calories, that way it will cause less damage to all your hard calorie counting efforts days before. I figure if i can maintain my weight at 1800 calories without working out, if I burn 700 working out that day my tdee is 2500...so if i go out the worst i would probably do for the day is eat 3,000 calories...which would only be a damage of 500 calories vs. the 1000+ if I would have tried to count calories.
  • punkypenny
    Options
    Update: Here is the response I got

"Thank you very much for contacting us here at The Cheesecake Factory Restaurants. We are presently working towards publishing nutritional information on all of our menu items, and hope to be able to offer this information to our guests online and in our restaurants soon. In the meantime, I am happy to provide you the nutritional information we have on the item you requested. Can you please let me know if your Fish Tacos were ordered "grilled" or "crispy?"

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience."