Thinking about buying a FitBit...Is it worth it?

Options
I've been staring at my computer screen now for an hour debating over biting the bullet and buying myself a FitBit. I was thinking the FitBit One would probably meet my needs the best-- and I like how small it is. I want to be able to wear it to work and not have anybody notice...including me. I'm kind of large on top so it would easily fit in my cleavage, but I think the pocket option looks easiest! I have fibromyalgia, which effects my sleeping, so I would be really curious to see the info it tracks on how many times I wake up, quality of sleep, etc. I know it's a ton, but nobody will ever believe me.

For those of you who have one, or have a competitor's option, what do you like? What do you not like? Is it worth the $100? Did you find it somewhere else cheaper (cuz that would be awesome!)? Is there something amazing it does that they don't advertise? Is it extra hard (or easy) to set up?

Thanks!

Replies

• Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been staring at my computer screen now for an hour debating over biting the bullet and buying myself a FitBit. I was thinking the FitBit One would probably meet my needs the best-- and I like how small it is. I want to be able to wear it to work and not have anybody notice...including me. I'm kind of large on top so it would easily fit in my cleavage, but I think the pocket option looks easiest! I have fibromyalgia, which effects my sleeping, so I would be really curious to see the info it tracks on how many times I wake up, quality of sleep, etc. I know it's a ton, but nobody will ever believe me.

For those of you who have one, or have a competitor's option, what do you like? What do you not like? Is it worth the $100? Did you find it somewhere else cheaper (cuz that would be awesome!)? Is there something amazing it does that they don't advertise? Is it extra hard (or easy) to set up?

Thanks!

It's very easy to set up and no one even notices it when it's on. Do I think it was worth $100? Probably not. It is kind of nice that it syncs with MFP and automatically adjusts your calories.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm a bit addicted to mine. It is eye opening how little I walk on an average day. I've had other cheap pedometers in the past, but I really like the size and features of my fitbit (I have the one). It's very easy to set up, I love that it syncs with my phone without me having to remember to plug it in and that it only needs to be charged about once a week.
  • LeeLynn17
    LeeLynn17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I use it daily and my family has one now and we compete with each other. Keeps us motivated.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I originally got mine to confirm that I was eating enough based on my TDEE. Turns out I walk a whole lot more than I thought at work so it was nice to have those extra calories since they sync with MFP. As walking is my only exercise it works beautifully for what I need. If you tend to do more in terms of working out then you maybe want to consider a HRM instead as they are close in price.

Sometimes the two systems don't work so well but most of the time everything is good with the syncing. You will probably have to adjust your settings though or you might be eating too much if you eat back all the extra calories that the Fitbit gives you. Took me a bit to get used to how to log things but now it's great!

There is a FitBit user group on here also so if you have any questions that's a good place to go.
  • kmpublishing2
    kmpublishing2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Other option would be a BodyMedia Link...since the prices aren't that far apart (within $50), which do you think would be most useful?
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Started with an ultra and upgraded to the one when it came out because I could sync it to my phone. BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT ON MYSELF!
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my fitbit for almost 4 months now and love it. I would recomend it for everyone. I am saving money to get the Aria (fitbit scale) and the fitbit Flex. Get one, you will love it.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Other option would be a BodyMedia Link...since the prices aren't that far apart (within $50), which do you think would be most useful?

I was going to suggest the Bodymedia arm band, but you were pretty clear about wanting it to be discrete. The arm band isn't. But I LOVE it!!!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia and love it!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to mine!! Love it. I find myself taking the stairs and walking to work just to meet my goals!
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I want one, but I'm waiting for the flex.
  • MaryPhilomena
    MaryPhilomena Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit and their customer service is fabulous - totally recomment it
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I'm all for the BodyMedia. I have the Fit and I freakin love it. So glad I spent a few extra bucks. I love seeing that I've burned 2700 calories on a Sunday just doing my weekly food prep activities.

My vote is get yourself a BodyMedia Fit and buy the display, that way you don't have to have a subscription to see your data. It'll run you about $150-$175, but I've been coming down like clockwork since I got mine- here's a pic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/942354-my-muffin-top-is-shrinking
  • Cbiowriter
    Cbiowriter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had one since Christmas. Love it. Makes it so much easier to keep track of your activity level. It syncs well with My Fitness Pal also.
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    Since I have an ipod, I just use the FREE Striiv app. It syncs directly with MFP.... but if you don't have an ipod/iphone, maybe something like fitbit would be good.
  • nyssalynne
    Options
    Do it. Especially if you need motivation. I had the Fitbit Ultra and now have the Fitbit One so I can sync to my phone. So much easier. I love it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about getting one as well
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have one - I got it from eBay for around $70 - I clip it to my bra and it stays there. It works wonderfully for helping to motivate me to walk more. I was shocked to see how little I walk during the work day (desk job). For actual burn during excercise - I have an HRM.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one. I love it!! I find that I will do the stairs at work, and walk a little more than usual. And I do like the way it tracks my sleep....
    totally worth the money...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It personally wouldn't be worth it for me...but I know people who've had trouble dialing in what they need calorie wise and it has really helped them. I have some friends that have finally started eating because they finally realized that yes, there is in fact calories burned doing things besides a gazillion hours of cardio. They were shocked at netting only 800 calories per day when they were burning close to 3,000 with all of the crap they were doing on top of daily living. For that I am grateful and in that scenario, worth every penny.