fruit sugar

Options
my daily goal shows 34 sugar, does that also mean fruit sugar?
if I eat a banana and apple i am over my sugar, does that seem correct?
I always thought i can eat fruits in my diet because it is healthy and it would effect my weight.

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    MFP's base sugar allowance is set way too low. You can adjust it if you want or just ignore it. Seriously.
  • gikki13
    gikki13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    just looking at the same thing would love to know also
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You think MFP would separate fruit sugar from all other sugars
    I'm not sure why they don't
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    QFT
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between refined sugars and natural sugars (fruit, milk, etc.). Eating fruit is definitely beneficial, I recommend not going too crazy with them though, too much fruit can also have downsides.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

It would be quite difficult considering nutritional information labels also don't distinguish between the two.
  • wishhh86
    wishhh86 Posts: 2
    Options
    fruit sugar is different..I have ´´overeating` sugar everyday 30g because of fresh fruits..:cry: really hope , this dont count.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am always way over on sugar too, largely from fruit.

Personally, I ignore it. I believe that fruit is healthy and I have way too many obsessions and food hang ups to start worrying about eating a 2nd apple in a day!

However, some people say that our body actually *doesn't* differentiate between types of sugar and that you *should* limit fruit.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i don't pay attention to it...i am on weight watchers pts...so dont' count calories..rather how many carbs,fats, protien, and fiber.

ON w.w. fruits and veggies are free. Fresh that is. Except for corn, potatoes, and avocado, and peas. I fill up on those...so if i had to pay attention to sugars in fresh fruit...i would go nuts!
  • tanjarunyan
    Options
    thank you everyone, great info
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar MFP sets for me, because I eat fruit.. I would just not pay attention to it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you brought up this topic. I just said that my new goal is to stay under the sugar count that MFP gives. I have been going way over on a daily basis. So, I started some investigating. Although fruit is a healthy option, the dietary goals is to only have two servings of fruit a day. Given that, the goal on MFP really is not too low. I want to lower my sugar intake without adding in artificial sweeteners so it's going to be a tough challenge. All in all I would say this ... fruit is a "WAY" better option than refined sugars. So if you are going over just because of fruit I would say "Go for it".
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    I think this is a situation where yeah, it is sugar, but there are overwhelming benefits to consuming fruit that I would not make it a point to worry about fruit sugar.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    and if you don't like seeing the dreaded red numbers go and custom your nutrients tracked :) You can just take it out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation is based on the American Heart Association's recommendation for ADDED sugar. There is no official recommendation for sugar as a whole.

Eat your fruit and eat your veg...I hardly think they are to blame for the obesity epidemic. Lay off the high fructose corn syrup and added/refined sugar.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i eat like 485792384048g of fruit sugar a day, still not fat
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I drove myself nuts trying to stay under my recommended sugar goal, especially since I was trying to eat healthier and had incorporated more fruits into my diet. I finally removed the sugar counter from my diary settings as I've read enough about fruit intake to now know that the benefits of fresh fruits far outweigh the sugar content.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    MFP's base sugar allowance is set way too low. You can adjust it if you want or just ignore it. Seriously.

^^^ Yep this!!! Just ignore. I go over everyday.