Increasing weights question

Options
How often are you supposed to increase your weights? Weekly??

Replies

• benny1152
    benny1152 Posts: 12
    Options
    When you feel that completing the sets may be easy and after finishing you feel "I could do more sets/reps" then you should increase the wait, there isn't a set routine for when to increase it will just happen naturally
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    do you mean actual weigh or like reps?

i increase my weight whenever i can, some moves it's ea session (bit by bit) and some moves it's several wks.

i change my rep range up quarterly tho - i do 3 set so f 10-12 for 4 wks, then 3 sets of 8-10 for 4 wks, then 3 sets of 4-6 for 4 wks & repeat.
    (building upon each set (150x12 for set 1, means i try 155/160 for set 2, if i get that for the full range, i move up more for the last set, etc)

I am considering changing it up tho, to a 10-12/8-10/4-6 split per set... just for a difference.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try to go up in either weight or reps each workout. Gotta keep challenging your bod!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It depends.

Are you following a program? If so, then the program should tell you when to up the weights and by how much.

If not, then what are you doing? Well, I guess I can answer - in general terms - without knowing...

If you're lifting for 8-10 reps (or whatever range), then up the weights by the smallest amount you can when you can get all your prescribed sets in the rep range with good form. For example - if you're doing dumbbell bicep curls (or whatever) for 3 sets of 8-10, and you can curl two 10 lb dumbbells 10x, 9x, and 8x, then go up to 15 lbs dumbbells. If you can only do 9x, 8x, and 7x with good form - you didn't quite complete everything, so stay at 10 lbs until you can do at least 8x, 8x, and 8x. Ideally, though, your first set would be on the top end of the rep range.

Obviously, you'd have to adjust the actual numbers for what you're lifting and what exact rep range you're going for.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If I complete all my desired reps/sets on a specific exercise, I increase my weights by the smallest increment,
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    When you feel that completing the sets may be easy and after finishing you feel "I could do more sets/reps" then you should increase the wait, there isn't a set routine for when to increase it will just happen naturally
    [/quote

please listen to this.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    That depends on how strong you are. Judging from the question you asked I am assuming that you aren't very strong, so you could probably increase the weights every lifting session for several months before you stall. If you're serious about getting stronger, check out stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength, they both have weight increases written into the programming. Buy the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    How often are you supposed to increase your weights? Weekly??

Honestly, if you can you might want to get a program that helps you regulate your progress. Typically many people are either too conservative that they never progress or too aggressive and they never progress. Something like StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or 5/3/1 are all very good lifting plans that basically tell you how and when to progress.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses. I am just starting out. I will check out some programs. Right now I started with the machines but I know free weights are better. I just need to let my self consciousness go and move to the free weight section of the gym.