So, just how big are your calves?

Options
I'm just curious here. I carry all my extra weight below my waist and I have mammoth legs. Oh, and I have cankles :( So, let's take a poll here. How big are your calves? I'm 5 feet nothing, 127 pounds, and mine are about 15.5-16'' around at the widest part.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My left goes between 15 1/2" to 16" and my right consistently stays at 15 1/2".
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 214 lbs and have 16" calves (no cankles). I always have because of cycling and jogging. I carry my junk in the trunk and have hips too but I stay an hour glass figure no matter what size which I'm very pleased with.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I've always had a noticeable hourglass figure as well :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Ugh! I'm 152, 5'4" and my calves are 16 inches.

I feel like setting a goal to wear boots is a lost cause. I've never, ever, even at my smallest 98 pounds, been able to wear boots.

It really pisses me off. Most people get tummy tucks and lipo in the thighs. Nope, I want my calves sucked out please.
  • Alure
    Alure Posts: 30
    Options
    Ha ha, I had to post on this thread because I have small calves! I'm 5'5" and in the 140s right now (would definitely prefer the 130s)... And I just measured my calves at 13.25". But they're ripped, mind you. :D
  • tavander
    Options
    Just do a little searching, there really are boots out there that us large calved ladies can wear. I feel like a sexy lady in my Pikolinos. When I put them on.....mmmmmmmm. Yeah I didn't leave the store without them.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    yeah... these bad boys definitely are NOT ripped. i think even at 113 they were still 15'' even or so.
  • tavander
    Options
    I wouldn't say mine are ripped but well defined. Love it! I'll think up some sort of magic or something to send your way ;)
  • nikki91950
    Options
    We would surely appreciate it! I need to get some ankle lipo or something... I've tried doing calf raises in the past, and I've been sprinting off and on in the gym lately, but I don't see any difference. It's so frustrating. If I look at the back of them in the mirror...I think of cottage cheese.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of muscle in my calves but it's not all muscle. :\ I don't know how to work them so the fat goes away but muscle doesn't build. It's annoying. But yeah, don't give up hope on boots! I have some sexy right below the knee boots I got at Kohl's that fit me. They're those scrunchy ones so they're a bit baggy as they're supposed to be but damn, I love 'em. I wore them like, every other day in the winter.
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Options
    Ha ha, I had to post on this thread because I have small calves! I'm 5'5" and in the 140s right now (would definitely prefer the 130s)... And I just measured my calves at 13.25". But they're ripped, mind you. :D

I'm similar.. 5'8" , 140, and calves are 13''. I think it really just depends on how tall you are. I carry all of my weight in my waist though so maybe that's why my calves are small? But don't be discouraged, my calves are covered in cellulite and jiggle worse than an old lady's "bat wings"... I think the moral of the story is be happy with what you're given. If your calves are the most you have to worry about then you're pretty lucky.. Stick with pants or boots and you're good to go!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just like any other part of the body, you can't spot reduce. When you lower your body fat % you will eventually get smaller calves. If you accompany this with regular exercise (doesn't have to be hypertrophy type resistance training like heavy weight calf raises) you will get definition. Guys generally have it hardest around the gut whereas girls have it hardest in the butt and legs (nice generalisation I know :P) If it is the last spot you lose weight it will be especially hard, well that is what I am finding anyway :)
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7'' and 220 lbs and my calves are 16". I'm have a fairly large bone structure and my weight distributes pretty evenly. No matter how much exercise I do....they just won't shrink!
  • krockwell
    krockwell Posts: 34
    Options
    hmm..
    I bet my BIL the other day that I had bigger calves then him, because he looked like he had chicken legs...
    His were 15 1/2", and he's probably 180 pounds, 5'9, and VERY toned... I was 245 at the time 5'10 and my calves at 17"!!
    I don't have a "big" bone structure, it's more medium, and I don't find my calves to be fat though, and I definately don't have cankles...
    *shrug*
    Guess I just have big calves? haha! I wonder if they'll shrink with the rest of me!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I am 5'6" and about 196-198lbs right now, And while I have always had nice shaped legs, my calves are still big. At the biggest point they are 17" but they slim down into nice ankles. Most of the excess calf weight is higher up near the knee. I have a fair amount of muscle in my calves but there is a lot of fat too :laugh: They are shrinking slowly, but my body has decided to shed weight off my shoulders and arms first :laugh:

I found calf high boots last year, they have laces up the back so you have a little more room to play with. If I can find them that fit, you should be able to :flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    HA just talking about this tonight to my spin instructor. Mine are muscular measure 15.5 I am 5'4 159 pounds. (no cankles), dont think they will shrink too much, no skinny jeans in my future!
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    I am 5'6" an mine are both 16.5 with a weight of 236.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'7'' and 220 lbs and my calves are 16". I'm have a fairly large bone structure and my weight distributes pretty evenly. No matter how much exercise I do....they just won't shrink!

This thread has had me absorbed in all kinds of thoughts and web searches for ages, curiosity.

From observation I think almost everyone has some muscle group that for them simply is big (and I mean will gravitate to muscular big with exercise) and others that are are hard to develop.

On my travels I was looking at various stats, and I have some measurements from the gym a while back. My bicep circumference with arm extended is apparently bigger than the average male's flexed. And flexed it is another 3 1/2" again. Yet my pinch test there showed an extremely low fat % (unlike a lot of people, that is not where I carry my fat). Like I cannot even conceive of how I'd make it them get smaller. If I so much as look at weights they grow. Yet I have real trouble building chest muscle (and trouble burning fat there).

So I'd presume calves are the same. Just our unique physiology I guess.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'd never measured them before but I just did thanks to this topic, i'm 6' 3 and about 248lbs and my calves are 17" - at least they are pretty solid though. I hate to think what they were before, at least 20" i'm sure!
  • sunflower0022
    sunflower0022 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am 311 lbs and 5'7".. my right one is 16 3/4" and my left one is 18". My ankles are nice and small though!
    hahahaha I am so uneven!
    What are cankles??