working out with the flu?

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
I am not ssick to my stomach but i have chills aches stuffy nose and a cough. I am worn out and drained should i tough it out or wait it out?

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    what does common sense tell you to do?

I'd listen to that, it is usually right.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    what does common sense tell you to do?

I'd listen to that, it is usually right.

Agreed... and it sounds like common sense is saying to take a break. Rest today. You'll only make yourself worse if you push.
  • laprobertson
    Options
    Either wait it out or do some yoga / stretches.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I feel like a nap to be honest i slept aweful last night
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

There you go! Listen to your body! You need rest.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A little exercise boosts the immune system. A short walk should help. But I wouldnt lift or strength train. You wil be weak and wont get much from it.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Then sleep! When your sick your body needs wholesome nutrition, fluid and sleep. Don't deprive yourself of this or your flu will go on longer than you want!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb:

If it's a headcold, you can work out. If it's anything more than that, wait it out until you feel better.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Nap time then maybe yogalater if i feel better
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've only had proper flu once but I struggled to move or put together a meal let alone exercise!
  • aarikadanielle
    Options

Definitely listen to your body! If it is telling you, you need rest. Then rest!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    LOL, I literally had Influenza in November and did NOT have the energy nor the will to workout. Heal up! If you feel well enough to work out, give it a whirl. Sanitize the equipment well after. Call it good. LOL.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    If you have chills you are running a fever it is viral and that is contagious to other people....so stay home rest and do not infect others. You can sanitize the equipment all day long but it is also air born...colds are viral and very contagious
  • meeper123
    Options
    I think it was just over exhaustion i took a wonderful nap and feel way better going to chill today though. I workout at home but no need to get the hubby sick
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    Options
    Definitely sleep! I just got over the flu. I thought I'd take a walk around and just as I was healing, I got worse. Please rest, your body needs it, and you're not doing yourself any favors by working out while ill.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Um, don't work out.

I would also be very, very mad if I caught whatever you have because you felt the need to go to the gym with the flu.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Um, don't work out.

I would also be very, very mad if I caught whatever you have because you felt the need to go to the gym with the flu.
    Totally this- do not come near me with the FLU, that would totally tick me off.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Stay HOME, stretch, home workout.. bed push ups, I don't care but don't go to a gym and make everyone else sick!!
  • brook97378
    brook97378 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself too hard when getting over the flu. I would wait a few days, then start back lightly and then progress as you feel better. The flu can really take its toll on you and it can take awhile to get completely back to normal. But I do agree with the others who say, don't go to the gym until you are sure you aren't contagious. Maybe you can do something to work out at home instead. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do not enter the my gym with the damn flu...

Not trying to be mean, but this is common sense. The fact that this question has to even be asked suggests to me that you are working out for all of the wrong reasons...my guess is you're worried about your "burn" am I right?

You already have a burn...you have a big fat deficit in your diet. With a big fat deficit in your diet, your body is already struggling to keep up with it's energy needs as is...now you want to work out while you're sick? Do you know how much energy your body requires to recover from vigorous exercise...couple that with the necessary energy to recover from your illness...pretty much spells more harm than good.

REST! That is what people who are genuinely ill do...your body needs all the energy it can get to make you better.