Weight gain over weekend - not sure why!

Options
So I had a great week last week - lost almost 4 pounds on new gluten free diet. I didn't weigh myself over the weekend, but I did do my walking exercises - 1 hour 15 minutes on Friday, and 30 minutes on Sunday. I did drink some, about 4 vodka tonics on Saturday, but ate healthy food, no snacking, and plenty of water and sleep. i woke up this morning and the scale said I weighed 7 pounds more than on Friday. I measured myself and the measurements are the same. I am so frustrated and devastated to weigh about 1 pound less than I did when I started on this site about 3 months ago. I was finally seeing some progress last week and now this!!! I don't know if this is normal or what.

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I gained almost three over the weekend. I had a crazy amount of soduim, so I'm chalking mine up to water weight. I don't have cheat days, and I am pretty strick with what I eat, so I know that there is no way that I over ate to gain that much weight.
    My cloths fit the same, if not looser, so I'm not all that worried.
    Don't get too down on yourself. Weigh your self in a few days or next week. Drink plenty of water and hopefully you'll come back to where you were.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Honestly you dont think that you gained 7 pounds over the weekend do you? Try not to focus on that scale just yet. Alcohol, regardless of how little, plays a crazy role in your diet. Slows down you metabolism and makes you retain water. alcohol is a diuretic which although makes you lose water, will ultimately make you retain it as well. Your body has that fear that it will lose to much. Relax and have a good diet week and you will see those come back off.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well I walked for 75 minutes yesterday and sweated my *kitten* off! Got on the scale this morning, only 1 pound down. I don't know how or why I gained so much weight over the weekend when I didn't even cheat, except for a couple of drinks, which don't weigh 7 pounds. I'm back to my start weight basically and seriously discouraged! I'm hungry all the time and can't eat anything because of my gluten free diet. I wish I knew what was going on!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well I walked for 75 minutes yesterday and sweated my *kitten* off! Got on the scale this morning, only 1 pound down. I don't know how or why I gained so much weight over the weekend when I didn't even cheat, except for a couple of drinks, which don't weigh 7 pounds. I'm back to my start weight basically and seriously discouraged! I'm hungry all the time and can't eat anything because of my gluten free diet. I wish I knew what was going on!

There is one way you could find out if it is the alcohol that has just played havoc with your weight. Set aside three weeks when you will not touch a drop. Stick to your calories, exercise, record absolutely everything and then see how much you lose without the alcohol. Make the very most of those three weeks.

If you find you have lost what you expect and are pleased, reintroduce the drink one weekend and see what happens. It may just be the vodka - is it normal tonic in it, or slimline? It could be that you need to change your drink, I always find white wine helps me, but we are all different.

I know if you were to experiment, your weight may go up then down then up again, but if you don't set out to find out if it is the alcohol, this will happen time and time again and you could get so discouraged which would be a damn shame....and yes, I have tried something similar which prompted me to write this post. I was unable to lose anything several months ago, I told my husband that I needed to try an experiment and did just what I wrote above. It resulted in me losing 6lb in three weeks. It is a long story why the weight went back on mind, that's another story.

Hoping you find your solution.
  • jennanostyle
    Options
    I can instantly go up or down 5 pounds in a day when I don't drink enough water....like this weekend where I only had around two glasses over Saturday and Sunday but I've pretty much got rid of it all by doing nothing other than drinking my full 8 glasses.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I find that I, too, can gain 3-5 lbs in a weekend if I eat too much sodium and don't drink enough water.
    I also tend to do more on the weekends and have less control over where I am and what I have when hunger strikes, so that sometimes leads to higher sodium intake than I'd like or even high sugar intake. If I eat too much sugar, I gain 5 pounds easily in one day. Usually 3 of it are gone by the next morning, but it'll take a week to lose the other 2.
    Just some thoughts.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'm here to spread the news about alcohol! When I turned 21, the morning of, I was 163... that night I had 6 shots (mostly alcohol) and 1 full drink. 3 days later I weighed 3 pounds heavier. It took me a week and a half to get back down to 163. Let me also say that I had at least 20 8-ounce glasses of water on my birthday so it wasn't water weight.

The body burns alcohol FIRST, above everything else. If there's alcohol in your system, your body isn't burning fat anymore until that alcohol is gone. So beware. Vodka is a pretty high volume (hence, why you get so drunk from it! :tongue:) alcohol so if you had 3, your body has probably just stopped burning fat and it's showing up on the scale. Drink lots of water and get back to eating healthy, DON'T drink alcohol and you should see a drop shortly. :happy:
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank since Saturday and haven't gone down any. I don't know if I can cut it out completely. It was hard enough going all week without a drink, that's why I had 4 instead of the responsible 1-2. I will try wine instead of hard liquor and see if that helps. I don't get that if I drank on Saturday, worked out Sunday and Monday, that the alcohol would still be in my system and causing me to gain weight. At this point I want to throw in the towel and forget it all. But I won't. Keep you posted.
  • KathleenAGarrity
    KathleenAGarrity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm here to spread the news about alcohol! When I turned 21, the morning of, I was 163... that night I had 6 shots (mostly alcohol) and 1 full drink. 3 days later I weighed 3 pounds heavier. It took me a week and a half to get back down to 163. Let me also say that I had at least 20 8-ounce glasses of water on my birthday so it wasn't water weight.

The body burns alcohol FIRST, above everything else. If there's alcohol in your system, your body isn't burning fat anymore until that alcohol is gone. So beware. Vodka is a pretty high volume (hence, why you get so drunk from it! :tongue:) alcohol so if you had 3, your body has probably just stopped burning fat and it's showing up on the scale. Drink lots of water and get back to eating healthy, DON'T drink alcohol and you should see a drop shortly. :happy:

Preaching to the converted!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Wow people stress about the scale as being the only think that makes them happy or sad on here.
    Please don't let that be what controls your happiness.
    Alcohol like what everyone says on here messes up the system..water retention..you'll probably see it go away next week.
    Our bodies will go up and down 5lbs with in a day naturally..so I don't panic about the scale.
    I use how my body feels as my barometer and the way my clothes fit...I plateaued for over 2 weeks on here..working out, eating well below my daily goal (but still making sure I had enough) and the scale didn't budge...but my clothing started falling off...and boom the last few days I've lost a lb a day.
    If you want to be healthy and happy don't let the scale tell you what your mode should be...its going to trigger you to give up..