Fitbit Aria Scale & WPA2 Enterprise/Offline Mode

Options
I bought a Fitbit Aria Scale knowing that it probably would not be able to sync at my apt because I live on-campus and connect to campus WiFi which uses WPA2 Enterprise as it's security protocol. Because it uses a RADIUS-based authentication instead of PSK, most gadgets and devices are unable to connect to it. However, I figured I could still use it as a scale and log things manually until I moved back home...

Well, apparently I was wrong because I'm unable to find out any way of using the scale when it's not connected to a network. Am I missing something, or are all functions essential disabled when the devices is disconnected? My only other option would be to buy a wireless router, flash dd-wrt firmware on it, and use it to create a new network using a PSK-based security protocol and then bridge the two networks. Which is a lot of and quite the investment to get a scale to work... :-/

I'm thinking about returning the scale and making the leap to the new Withings Smart Body Analyzer scale as it at least works in offline mode and has Bluetooth for mobile sync...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

Replies

• McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not an uber-geek, so take this idea for what it is worth, but couldn't you just use your smartphone to create a wi-fi hot-spot and sync through it?

I love my Aria, but I just use my home network.
  • devonzara
    devonzara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, while what you're talking about is logical and would be very practical in my case, I do not believe it is possible with an iPhone unless it's jailbroken. You can Tether... Which is when the phone acts as a bridge-router (brouter) to the cellular network. However, the iPhone isn't able to bridge its WiFi connection in the same way.

Additionally, most cellular companies charge extra to tether and limit your bandwidth usage and I do not have a tethering plan...
  • geminside
    geminside Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone as well and there is an option of making it a "hotspot" under "settings". I have used it many times, not with a Fitbit Aria though, still waiting for mine to be delivered ;)
  • geminside
    geminside Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my phone is definitely NOT jailbroken, would not know how to do that...