Wow, worst "diet" ever!

Options

Replies

• TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand...is if people can restrict their diets like this - why can't they just be disciplined enough to just eat normal, healthy meals?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    That is horrible! Is she at least taking a vitamin? you said she wont listen to advice to eat normal foods but she should be taking a vitamin at least. Ugh
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How did she even come up with that "diet?!"
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Exellent point!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, that is better I guess than the other version of that diet that I heard which is along with the pickles, all you drink is whiskey.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I hope you're not real close to her. It's sad when people get that confused about what food, and our bodies, are FOR.
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand...is if people can restrict their diets like this - why can't they just be disciplined enough to just eat normal, healthy meals?
    ^^^^THIS!!!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ugh, reminds me of my sister who lost a ton of weight a few years ago and is now gaining it all back. She is the LEAST healthy person I know, and I'm a nurse and I try and try to give her advice on how to do it the healthy way and she just tells me "I just don't eat, that's what worked for me before and I can do it again." She doesn't go to the doctor at all not even for an annual check. She got down to 138 lbs on her 5'10 frame but had NO muscle because she lost it all starving and doing NO exercise, not even walking. I even logged her daily intake the other day to show her how little she was eating, it was 4:30 PM and she had been up since 6, she had only 600 calories all day and most was coffee and drank no water (she claims she hates water and often tells me how dark her urine is, ugh). And she also donates plasma for money twice a week and told me the other day she started seeing stars while donating and getting tunnel vision! I try to tell her she needs to drink a LOT more water and eat a good meal before she goes but she refuses to listen and just shrugs me off. I show her my before and during pics (30 lbs so far) and say "look, I eat all day long, 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day and I'm losing!" People and they're hairbrained ideas on losing weight is a major pet peeve of mine!! Especially when it's family or someone you care about.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Pickles have like 70% of your daily salt intake for the day *per pickle*. She's going to kill herself from salt toxicity, something that kills a handful of Americans every year. Going overboard with salt--say, on the order of about 10 grams per day--will destroy your kidneys and can actually kill you.

I read an article about a toddler who ate a handful of de-icing salt and nearly died. He had about 60 grams of salt in one sitting, and became the record holder of "consumed the most salt and lived".

Your aunt is going to destroy her kidneys. Eat too much salt when you're young, and the kidneys will take up the slack and clear it. The older you get, the harder it is for the kidneys to compensate for excessive salt consumption.

This is an excellent example of how health is more than just a number on the scale. I knew a guy who said that he had a great diet: the smoking diet. He just smoked cigarettes whenever he got hungry, and he lost a bunch of weight. Again, healthy lifestyle matters more than just gaming the system by doing crazy restrictive diets or with behaviors like the one your aunt is doing.
  • artbaby1
    artbaby1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. Can you just imagine the vitamins, iron, protein and such that she is limiting from her diet. Eating like this can make you sick. Wow, pickles and that's it. Unbelievable!
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Reminds me of a diet I went on in high school. V8 and BBQ chips! But I was in high school. I did loose alot of weight but looked terrible. Had people asking me if I'd been sick. Glad I'm not that ignorant anymore.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I love pickles. However if I had to eat them all day long for even one day I'd be ready to cut someone.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    eating only pickles = not good.

if you think that's bad, check out this diet :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/944039-pototae-cleanse-pruven-methods

lol

Oooo the spelling. swoon. :sick:
  • TahoeHealthGuy
    Options
    Loving this thread, I prefer blue cheese stuffed olives! :)
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

^^ I could not agree more!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Pickles have pretty much no calories, BUT are loaded with sodium and have pretty much no nutritional value.
    Her body will go into "starvation mode" (for lack of better term for her body eating her organs, retaining fat and causing hair loss, etc) and she wont lose weight, she will lose muscle.
    Its dangerous, but many people dont care about danger when they are trying to lose weight. they just want it off as fast as possible.
    Youve done what you can.
    She will have to learn the hard way.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I like pickles but... wow!
  • irishscootz
    Options
    tumblr_m40r8gpStu1r9h681o1_250.gif
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    eating only pickles = not good.

if you think that's bad, check out this diet :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/944039-pototae-cleanse-pruven-methods

lol

Oooo the spelling. swoon. :sick:

looks like they deleted the thread, lol. poster claimed to be trying to drop 350 pounds eating nothing but "pototaes."

kind of reminds me of some other ridiculous diet plans i read about.
  • isitsororo
    isitsororo Posts: 116
    Options
    ^^^^THIS!!!

It's because they lack discipline endurance. True discipline in other words. Their emotions lead them to be wildly gung-ho about being super restrictive, and then crash them back to excessive eating soon afterwards.