Chicago Friends, help please

Options
Chicago Residing Friends,

I am from MI and am planning a vacation with my husband and 3yo and 9mo daughter in May. To say that I am overwhelmed with the amount of hotel accomidations in your town is an understatement! We want to visit Shedd Aquarium and the American Doll Store. We were hoping to be within walking distance to one of them. Our goal is to drive to our hotel and park our car, we have zero intention of driving while there. Any Hotel suggestions? I was looking at the Best Western Plus River North and it has some great reviews, what do you think?

Also, is it uncommon to see young children (see ages) above riding in a taxi without child restraints? The law says that if you are in a taxi a child specific seat is not neccessary but i'm really really worried about this. I know it would only be like 2 miles to the Shedd if we stayed in the Northern area but still... makes me nervous trusting someone else to drive my little family around with just us to hold them and keep them safe. Are there any services that have car seats available?

Also, DEEP DISH PIZZA... I know, I know... but it's my hubbys favorite. Where do you suggest?

Thanks so much Chicago friends!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

I am from MI and am planning a vacation with my husband and 3yo and 9mo daughter in May. To say that I am overwhelmed with the amount of hotel accomidations in your town is an understatement! We want to visit Shedd Aquarium and the American Doll Store. We were hoping to be within walking distance to one of them. Our goal is to drive to our hotel and park our car, we have zero intention of driving while there. Any Hotel suggestions? I was looking at the Best Western Plus River North and it has some great reviews, what do you think?

Also, is it uncommon to see young children (see ages) above riding in a taxi without child restraints? The law says that if you are in a taxi a child specific seat is not neccessary but i'm really really worried about this. I know it would only be like 2 miles to the Shedd if we stayed in the Northern area but still... makes me nervous trusting someone else to drive my little family around with just us to hold them and keep them safe. Are there any services that have car seats available?

Also, DEEP DISH PIZZA... I know, I know... but it's my hubbys favorite. Where do you suggest?

Hi Love! I just got back from Chicago!!! Enjoy your trip!!! dont forget to stop by millenium park and the peir!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Hi Love! I just got back from Chicago!!! Enjoy your trip!!! dont forget to stop by millenium park and the peir!

ALSO we stayed at the rafiela...but thats probably not the most family friendly. They do have Valet though for your car. ( at a price )
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've stayed at BW River North before I moved to Chicago and it's good! Nothing fancy but nice, clean and convenient. Best pizza in my opinion is Lou Malnati's!!! But really, can't go wrong with Chicago pizza!! I wrote back to your message, too!
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stay in Schaumburg. It's about 20 minutes outside of the city but for the price you will be paying, it's worth it. Completely. On your way in, stop in the city. There is a parking garage connected to the American Girl store. Take a cab from there to Shedd's.

As far as pizza goes... hands down, 'Pizzeria Uno' should be your destination!

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Schaumburg. F***ing amazing. Service was outstanding. The room was $80 and it was huge! Seperate bedroom, full kitchen with all amenities, living area, pool, playground, free parking, free movie channels, delicious continental breakfast... There is a ton to do in Schaumburg, too, without fear of driving in the big city. Legoland would be perfect for Ella. (Rides, lego's, jungle gym - for her... Museum type stuff for you guys!) The biggest mall I have ever been to is there as well. Rainforest Cafe?

Hope this helps, momma! Enjoy your vacation! =)
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There are other stores in the Water Tower place that you & your hubby may enjoy as well. Bring extra $$$ with for the AG store so Ella can get her picture on the 'cover' of a magazine. They also have an outfit on display at the register, with all the accesories, that is usually like $10.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Chicago forever. Kids are fine in cabs. If you stay near the aquarium you can walk there! If your family doesn't mind walking, I suggest staying near the aquarium and also walking to the american doll place down michigan ave. You can do lots of sight seeing that way. Thats if you bring a stroller for the youngsters.

Hotels Close to the Shedd Aquarium

Best Western Grant Park
    Hilton
    Travelodge
    Renaissance Blackstone

Hotels Near American Girl Place

Hilton Suites
    Residence Inn by Marriott
    Park Hyatt
    Four Seasons

Pizza: I agree with Lou Malnati's and Uno's... Giordano's is pretty popular too