C25K question...

Options
I really want to start running but, I honestly am a couch potato... ok, so I sound great for the C25K program right? Right! :)

I have a few questions though-
1) Is it an app? I just found an app on my phone so, I downloaded it thinking that might be it.
2) Did it work for you?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• mycrobemini
    mycrobemini Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey! There are several apps that will take you through it, just pick one that works for you. I just finished week 2, and so incredibly proud of myself! It took me 4 tries to get through week 1, day 1, but once I accomplished that, the rest has been going a lot more smoothly. The apps/websites say to leave 1 or 2 days between workouts. I found that I had to leave significantly more than that between at the beginning, and the number of days between has gradually gotten smaller. Listen to what your body tells you and don't overdo it. Just be persistent and it will work!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Yes it is an app. Just do it! It has worked for everyone I've known who used it! Don't be afraid to override a session to do it twice if ever you feel like it:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You'll find various apps with C25K plans...I personally use Runkeeper.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I llovelovelovelovelove c25k. I started when I was around 260. It's awesome. I can't say enough good things about the program.

There's also a zombies, run! 5k training app that I recommend. It's super fun :]
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm using the zen labs app. Week 5, day 2 is next for me!
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was 100% a couch potato and hated running until C25K. After completing the program, I am still running 3-4 times a week and loving it! There are great apps available, but you can do the program without one-there is an option for either time or distance at c25k.com. I recommend running for time if you're like me and never ran before. Unless you're older or obese I don't think it's necessary to ever repeat weeks-you'll be surprised how good it feels to push yourself. I did not watch what I was eating while doing the program and did not lose weight, but it feels great to be a runner and the health benefits alone are worthwhile. My best friend did watch what she was eating, and it helped her lose about 1lb./week.
  • gillsta_21
    gillsta_21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 2. I use an app on my phone and I love it because the coach really helps me get through it. I was a total couch potato before and really thought that I would never be able to run. It has been tough and I had to do week 1 twice and will probably do the same for week 2 but I am really enjoying it and I feel stronger with each run! DO IT!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    1) Is it an app? I just found an app on my phone so, I downloaded it thinking that might be it.
    I use the Zen Labs free C25K app. It's pretty good and it's nice to have it interrupt your music to tell you when to run or walk instead of having to carry a paper with you or keep looking on your phone.

2) Did it work for you?
    I'm just finished W2D1 and I think it is working. After W1D3 i noticed my breathing is getting a lot more controlled. I feel like I'm jogging in place but I'm nonetheless jogging.

it takes time. if you can't complete a day as it is told in your ear, then repeat it next time. You don't want to hurt yourself.
  • lavrovina1022
    Options
    I've used a few apps so far, but I personally enjoy Zombies, Run! 5k Training app. I'm not sure if you're into that kind of thing, but I've found it to be more engaging than the other apps I've tried.
  • huntersmom13
    huntersmom13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use an app on my android smartphone....it is called Simple C25K. I love it and am starting week 5 tomorrow. Never thought that I would be able to do it but I am. Be persistant and it will work for you, and repeat days if you are not ready to move on yet.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It works because it is based on starting with what you've got and gradually adding to it, which is how you develop any ability in life. It sounds simple, but so many people decide they want to run and they go out and try to run 3 miles, realize they can't do it, and then they give up.

I didn't do the official C25K program, but something similar that I made up on my own. 2-1/2 months ago a couldn't run a quarter mile without stopping. A couple weeks ago I ran 3 miles at 10:00 pace. Last week I ran it at 9:33 pace. Today I ran 1-1/2 mile at 8:45 pace.

So yeah, it seems to be working. Enjoy!
  • Harmoman
    Harmoman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used the podcasts that I found when I googled C25K podcasts...

I hated running... I found each run challenging...

I've had to repeat a few runs and didn't move on until I completed each run... in 4 months.. I ran my first 5K, which I NEVER thought I'd do...

Get the app.. get the podcasts, or a timer or what ever... then... GO find a 5K run and sign up for it.... (something a few months out...)

Heat and Pressure make diamonds... Now go get it!
  • DarrenWasHere
    DarrenWasHere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are not intimidated by software this tutorial is pretty easy to follow for creating C25K podcasts with your own music
    http://www.promoguy.net/2012/12/27/c25k-podcast-music-make-your-own-and-diy/