Bumping from 1600 to 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• sonograssa
    Options
    I found it very helpful when I added some weights to my routine after walking on the treadmill. Nothing big. Perhaps 3 or 5 lb weights and I do some arm and squatting exercises in the privacy of your own home. You can find lots of good exercises online. This will helpful "jump-start" the weight loss and increase your metabolism. Won't cost you more than the cost of the weights. Take it easy when you start and do as many repetitions as you can.
    Good luck and congrats on getting healthy...
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you're a student you should have access to your university's gym.
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options
    If you're a student you should have access to your university's gym.

The university's gym is $120 a year unless you're enrolled in one of their fitness classes (which I think is actually more expensive than $120). I used to go to a college that had free access to the gym, but I think it's because it's a small/poor community college, they're trying to get as much income as they can. It's a pretty decent price, but it's not something that I can afford *at the moment* (I will be able to soon). Because I am low income, I am looking into seeing what pricing the YMCA can give me.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can increase the number of calories you burn simply by walking every day, without even starting a program that includes running. When you walk though, walk at a good pace so that you work up a sweat, or alternate a moderate pace with more fast-paced intervals (but still walking). Since you appear to have the time, you could also google "body weight exercises" and see what you come up with. You will probably be able to do some (though maybe not all) of the exercises and no equipment is needed. Something like this is better done every other day and can be done in addition to the walking. Start small and you will find that every week you can do a little more. Congratulations for wanting to make things better for yourself!
  • swagtier
    swagtier Posts: 53
    Options
    You can increase the number of calories you burn simply by walking every day, without even starting a program that includes running. When you walk though, walk at a good pace so that you work up a sweat, or alternate a moderate pace with more fast-paced intervals (but still walking). Since you appear to have the time, you could also google "body weight exercises" and see what you come up with. You will probably be able to do some (though maybe not all) of the exercises and no equipment is needed. Something like this is better done every other day and can be done in addition to the walking. Start small and you will find that every week you can do a little more. Congratulations for wanting to make things better for yourself!

I think this is part of the problem. My walking has been pretty leisurely, not really working up a sweat. I should look into interval training, even if it's for something like walking, though I never thought of walking in that way, haha.

I never thought about/knew about body weight exercises, either. No equipment needed would be seriously great :)

Thank you!!
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I find fitness blender on utube. It's very good try it.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Exercise should be a part of your program, even if it is just walking. If you must reduce your food calories, why not split the difference and try 1400 or 1450. It is an unfortunate fact that women tend to lose weight more slowly than men, so some patience is required no matter what. Good luck!!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to exercise. I've never paid for a gym membership. Go to the library, borrow videos. Walk, find trails to hike on. Check pinterest for ideas.