HRM?

Options
Hey guys! So, I keep hearing about different HRM's and FitBit's and things like that, and I was wondering what would be the best for me! I want to use it to track my exercise and my calories burned to help me continue losing weight. I'm going to get it when I hit 207 pounds (only about 5 pounds away!), which is 10% of my original weight :) Price isn't really an issue, but of course, the cheaper the better. But I'm really going to qualirty and longevity. Thanks guys!

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar hrm with an RCX3 watch computer thing and a GPS for my birthday. It tracks your bpm as well as your distance travelled if you are running or cycling and I wear it for tennis without the GPS.

After you have exercised you download the data onto your computer and then you can bring up all sorts of nifty graphs and maps showing you how hard (or not, mostly) you have trained, where you have been and how fast you have been. It is a lot of fun and just seeing the strap for the hrm hanging over the edge of the shower makes me want to go gather some new data!

It doesn't sync with MFP, though. I had a Fitbit which did that, but it wasn't as much fun as the Polar.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I typically only work out in a gym, so I don't do any distance exercise. I'm interested in knowing how much I walk per day, though. I might get into running around town when I'm at a lower weight, but I like stationary cycling at the gym for right now. It's much lower impact for my chest than running :p
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    HRM track calories lost during exercise. Fitbit tracks steps taken and gives you calories back if you walk enough. I have both, just depends on what you would need most. I have the Polar FT4 and I love it.
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I definitely suggest getting a HRM (with a chest strap) versus the fitbit. Some people really love the fitbit, but from what I've heard and read about it, it tracks your steps taken (like a pedometer), and those arent always accurate. I have the Polar FT7 and love it!
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a Wahoo HRM (I think about $70-80). It works with on low energy Bluetooth with my iPhone 4S and Endomondo app. I also have a Fitbit One. I am very fond of tech, if you didn't guess. The Wahoo HRM is quite good.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'll try looking into the Polar HRM's and see what I find!
  • michigangirl75
    michigangirl75 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just recently back in February bought the Polar FT4 and I love it! I'm really happy with it =)
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit is incredible (and surprisingly to me) accurate. The problem is that you mentioned cycling, which it is not known to be accurate at all with. Running, walking and climbing stairs are the strong points.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get an accurate calorie burn and bought the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • Poemetra
    Poemetra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it!
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love my Body Media. It tracks calories burned, hours of sleep and sleep efficiency, steps taken, total time doing activity. It also makes beautiful charts and graphs and syncs with MFP. I would google body media and you can see what you get. You do have to pay a monthly fee.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    A HRM would be more suitable for you as it monitors your heart-rate and calories burned during exercise. A fitbit tracks steps and calories.

I use the Polar FT4 and love it!
  • Wild_Hare
    Wild_Hare Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and an older polar HRM (F6). I love them both but they do different things. I use the HRM to calculate calories burned during specific bouts of exercise -- like jogging or cycling. Since it has a chest strap it really isn't suited to wearing all day to get total calorie burn for the day. Mine does not track steps -- perhaps some of the newer models do.

The Fitbit counts steps and estimates calories burned by your daily activity. It's nice because it syncs with MFP. I wear mine all day long and if I do specific exercise that doesn't register as "steps" I log that activity separately. I really like that I can set alarms throughout the day to remind me to get up from my desk and move around a little more. It also keeps me in touch with how much I'm moving around on a daily basis. There is no monthly fee for the Fitbit website.

Congratulations on being so close to your 10% mark! Whichever you choose it will be a great reward.