Need some encouragement/advice/help :(

Options
I usually don't post things in public for advice but I realize reaching out to people who have the same concerns and experiences as me really helps me move forward.
Okay so I am 5'5 and 170 lbs and 19 years old.
I used to be heavier a couple of years ago. (186 was my highest)
I am taking before and after pictures every week. I am going through a lot right now and started my journey because I realized that my abusive ex boyfriend (and more ex bfs) got the best of me and I deserve to be the best person I can be inside and out.
I also have lymhpedema in my feet so losing weight could possible reverse it (it is known to be incurable.).
ANYWAYS.
So I was 174 on the 19th. I think that the weight I lost was water weight. I took before pictures, they were horrid. I finally realized that those pictures were not who I truly am. So i decided to start my consistent healthy lifestyle. I quit my job and school this semester and I feel like I am emotionally healing from this but all of the days go by soooooooooo slow and all I do is focus on my fitness until I find a job. 2 weeks feels like 2 months.
I took a "during" picture today and there was pretty much zero difference. I have seriously been eating so well, tracking everything and doing carding 1-2 hours a day. High protein, low carb (but I do get enough) and fruits and veggies. The myfitnesspal tracker says I am doing it right. I have been working my butt off and I see no difference. These are pictures without clothes on so I see my results without my clothes influencing it. I think my pounds lost may have been water weight because I go in the sauna every time I work out.

I am so discouraged. Am I doing something wrong? Does it take a super long time to see any results?
I want to start a weight loss blog because I love inspiring people and writing, but I haven't gotten very far and I don't want to start writing it if I give the wrong advice. I learning about nutrition and weight loss, it is a passion of mine. I am just discouraged because I feel like I am getting nowhere while I am working so hard every day.

sorry this is long but none of my friends or family really understand where I am coming from (my twin sister is super thin and athletic). Not trying to sound desperate for help or anything, it is honestly hard for me to reach out to strangers.

Thanks for reading. :)
if anyone wants to follow me on instagram who wants to be fitness buddies my username is lizzyyxox

hope everyone is having a beautiful day :)
xoxo

Replies

• JesT23
    JesT23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    At your 12 lbs lost (according to your profile ticker), it seems like it might be a little early for visible results? You should be proud of your progress, anyway, so don't discount your hard work just because the pics haven't changed yet. It is true that the first few lbs could have been water weight but it doesn't sound like you are big enough for straight up 12 lbs of just water loss. What is your calorie allotment?

It sounds like we are similar nutritionally. I eat low-low carb, high organic protein, abundant veg, no sugars, and limited dairy. I can say it took me 25 lbs lost (Since August 2012) before I noticed a difference in the way my clothes fit and I still don't see a difference in the mirror other than my face is a bit thinner. I'm 25, female, 5'1", 160 and MFP has me at 1200 net to lose 1 lb per week (being short suuucks). Obviously, I have a lot to lose yet, so like you, I feel like it should come off faster. I do HIIT cardio on the treadmill and kettle bell and body weight exercises 4 days a week and the scale is moving SO SLOWLY (less than a pound a week) so I feel your pain. It is discouraging to work out hard, eat so strictly, and still not see the results you want. HANG IN THERE WITH ME, GIRL!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It took me until I lost about 25 pounds before I saw the difference myself even though others saw it before that. So don't worry....it will happen. It may sound like a broken record to some but its true that you didn't gain the weight in a couple weeks so its going to take more than a couple weeks to get it off. You are doing terrific! Just hang in there. :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can take a little while to see the changes. Also, remember that people carry fat around their organs, so some of that fat could be disappearing (which is a VERY good thing) instead of the visible fat around your stomach or thighs or wherever.

At first, I didn't notice the change in pictures, but then I noticed little things, like my cankles were smaller (and then gone) and I'd lost some pudge around my knee, or my shoulders were a bit more pronounced, or my double chin was gone in a profile shot... things like that. My measurements stayed the same because I was losing in areas I don't measure.

Put the pictures right next to each other and take a picture from the front, back, and side. Then compare.
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm at almost 20 pounds lost, and so far, I don't really see a difference. But according to my tape measure, I am smaller! I'd recomment you to invest in one, and rely on that moreso than your scale. Also, many people say it take YOU 4 weeks to see results, your friends and family 8 weeks to see results, and everyone else 12 weeks to see results. So don't give up! Everyone will start telling you how amazing you look soon enough :)
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting to notice the changes, but of course I've got a lot more to lose than you do. Even though I can't really see it very well, I've noticed other things, like rings, watches and bracelets are looser, and a few rings can only now be worn on my middle fingers. Have you noticed any similar non-scale changes?

This is hard, but the fact that you're here, and that you're asking for encouragement, to me means that you can do, because you want to do it!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You might be unable to see changes, but others might be able to. I understand not wanting to post them on here, especially if you really honestly don't see a difference, but maybe have a friend/family member you trust to be honest (but nice!) take a look at them.

Everyone is so different, some don't see any loss on the scales but big difference in inches, and vis-versa. 12lbs is a great loss so you are doing something right - keep it up and you'll see it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Taking photos and measurements is really important and helpful as our minds tell us things that are not true.. ask a trusted person if they see a difference.

Sometimes it takes time.. I started around a similar weight to you and the first 30-60 days I couldn't see the difference. My husband was always the person to point out that I look like I lost weight and always told me I am beautiful/sexy, etc,.

Just keep doing what you are doing and stay positive. Your body will change for the better so don't throw in the towel yet!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Taking photos and measurements is really important and helpful as our minds tell us things that are not true.. ask a trusted person if they see a difference.

Sometimes it takes time.. I started around a similar weight to you and the first 30-60 days I couldn't see the difference. My husband was always the person to point out that I look like I lost weight and always told me I am beautiful/sexy, etc,.

Just keep doing what you are doing and stay positive. Your body will change for the better so don't throw in the towel yet!

Exactly! Don't give up.
  • lizzyxo
    lizzyxo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you everyone!!! I love this support!!!
    I have lost 12 lbs since I have signed up (which was over a year ago) but I took a break for like a year because I forgot I had this account haha.

I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right things. It would suck to be working my butt off every day and be doing it wrong!!
    Thank you so much for all of your support and I am saving all of these responses for when I get down.

I just need to be patient and trust that I am doing something right, and keep control of my emotions, which is the reason I gained weight in the first place. My mom said she noticed a roll in my back that is gone so hey that is progress haha. The thing that motivated me the most was losing the back fat and to have a nice, feminine, sexy back. I will post pictures probably when I lose a little bit more. :)

Feel free to add me as friends and stuff on here because I am just getting used to it and I only have 2 friends since I am not sharing it with my facebook.
    Thank you everyone xoxoxoxoxoxo <3
  • april0411
    Options
    I have encouragement/motivation/advice page that I started on facebook. Because I too need all the help I can get. Join my page

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Aprilislosingit
  • lizzyxo
    Options
    I liked it!! Thank you!!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I saw a post that said, "It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, it takes 8 weeks for friends and family, and it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world. Keep going."
    It makes sense to me and I agree with some of the others taking measurements will help a lot because sometimes our own perception is either skewed or viewed through rose colored glasses.
    Good luck!
  • lizzyxo
    Options
    I saw that too, and posted it on my instagram as well. :)
    i like what you said about rose colored glasses, I am totally that way. Thank you for your support!! :)