Baked salt & vinegar potato chips (crisps)

Options
I found this recipe yesterday and made it last night. My husband claimed they were the best potato chips he'd ever had.

http://www.wendyseewendydo.com/2012/03/oven-fried-salt-vinegar-potato-chips.html

Ingredients:
Potatoes, thinly sliced
White vinegar
Cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray)
Salt
Pepper if you want

Slice the potatoes with a mandolin (she says 1/32"), then boil the slices in vinegar. My mandolin isn't adjustable, so my slices were super thin and they fell apart a bit after boiling for about 3 min and soaking for another 15, so adjust the times based on the thickness of your slices. Drain the potato slices and let them cool. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray. Dry the slices with a paper towel and lay them out in a single layer on the cookie sheets. Spray the slices with cooking spray and sprinkle them with salt. Bake at 450° F for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp. Toward the end, watch them carefully, because they turn gross very quickly.

Replies

• Calabrisellamia
    Calabrisellamia Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!!!
  • fluffyrn12
    fluffyrn12 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump Yummmmm
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    OMG I am keeping this for a time when I need carbs!
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    They really satisfied my cravings...

Sorry I don't have nutrition info, but it's basically just potato! Plus a few calories from the spray, I guess, since white vinegar has zero.
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    My husband's Favourite snack, I don't have cooking spray so I'm going to douse mine in butter instead:)
  • linhdao
    linhdao Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I'll try this recipe soon. Can't wait.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm normally not too interested in the recipes people post here but this sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! Thank you.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    My husband's Favourite snack, I don't have cooking spray so I'm going to douse mine in butter instead:)

ROFL love the substitution. Unclarified butter might burn, though, so may I recommend olive or coconut oil? A high butterfat butter like Plugra could work, though.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump- thanks!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    yeah i gotta try this for my gf... she's obsessed with chips :/
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    oh i love salt and vinegar chips!
  • missroro1023
    Options
    Bump
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Bump to try:bigsmile:
  • jcs225
    jcs225 Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome! I use a veggie peeler to slice my potatoes when I make chips-- they always turn out exactly the right thickness. Just one of those dollar-store, plastic-handle ones. "Peel" off a chip at a time, although you may need to cut larger potatoes in half. Although I always used this trick when frying in oil. I thought maybe people without a mandolin might want to try!

I have really been missing chips! Thanks for the idea!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    this works class with soaked or canned chickpeas too!! Boil them up in the vinegar and bake fairly low and you don't have to worry :D Lovely
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    OMG I am keeping this for a time when I need carbs!
    I am keeping it to make for my kids...