Frozen Food

Options
I am looking for some ideas on what to keep in the freezer that is quick and easy to prepare in single servings. I love the Barber Foods Stuffed Chicken Breasts but I don't think they are all that healthy. I keep the freezer full of frozen veggies and a few diet meals. I also have some meat to thaw and cook but it is so much easier to just put a single serving in the oven or microwave. I tend to overcook (and often overeat) when I make actual meals since it is just me. I do freeze some leftovers but it is never as good reheated. I know fresh foods are healthier but there have to be some healthy things to keep on hand in the freezer. Ideas? :)

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    They may be a little costly, but I have found Amy's Kitchen meals to be very good. I have also bought and eaten Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice. I recommend all of these, especially if you're a visual learner like I am. Once I knew what a serving size looked like, the I was able to control my portions better.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals are generally pretty bad for you. Even the ones labeled 'healthy'.

Try the Hungry Girl To The Max cookbook. Much of that is single serving and quite fast. 10 min or less.

Frozen meals will probably not lead to a sustainable healthy lifestyle.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I buy sausage and put two (one for me one for my boyfriend) sausages in a ziplock bag and freeze them. Then when I want to make sausages for dinner, i can just grab one of the bags and throw it in the fridge in the morning, and then when I get home from work it's thawed. Put it in a dish with some veggies, throw it in the oven, easy peasy!
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Individually wrapped chicken or fish, cook up some ground turkey and refreeze in single serve portions. Frozen veggies to heat up in servings you want, fruits that are frozen, you can pull out what you want to eat....Lots of options!
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I buy a big family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts from Walmart for $10-11, usually 5-7 breasts.. Then I cut them in half so they are half the thickness, and I freeze them individually in those perfect portion bags inside a freezer bag. Defrosts in 5-10 mins in warm water, and I can throw it on my foreman grill or in a pan and it cooks up in about 5 mins! Easy way to get my protein in.

You can cook rice or angel hair and portion it out and freeze it the same way - reheats perfectly in 90 seconds in the microwave.

Also, you can make soup and portion it out and freeze it and heat as necessary.
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I think the main thing on the frozen meals are the sodium it just depends on what ur watching. I use them i know fresh is more healthy for u but as to just weight loss it doesnt stall mine.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    I can tell you which ones to avoid. The weight watchers pizzas.. OMG they are so bad its like eating cardboard and the toppings look like regurgitated tomato spew with chunks. And it said on the box "improved recipe".

I have eaten Healthy Choice meals when my family decide they want to get take away.. its a bit hit and miss and I nearly always have to get the plus sized ones or I will eat one of my children out of hunger.

If you go to the deli section there are usually little pots of soup.. skinny girl soups are pretty yum actually and no bad for cals.

Sometimes I will buy bags of frozen veggies for stir fry and just empty it into the frying pan and slosh in some garlic, ginger and soy. Its a meal in itself and super quick.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    why would frozen leftover homemade chili not taste good, but a hungry man or lean cuisine taste good?

If you cook big meals just freeze in 1 serving portions