Put me in my place..need an ear

Options
My sister has always struggled with her weight and in december got the sleeve to help her get her weight under control. After going to the doctor myself, I realized that I was a chunky monkey and needed to do something for me as well. I've been on this journey since beginning of december. Don't get me wrong...I've lost over 30 pounds of butter and feel great. I do not want to have the surgery that she did, but it almost frustrates me because I go to the gym at least 5 days a week, log my food, PAY for a trainer...while she sits on the couch and loses MORE weight than me! I know what your thinking...my body is getting healthy and I am so proud of my accomplishments so far...and i need to be patient....but I can't help feeling this way. Not to mention, got diagnosed with PCOS and have been put on medication. It's just putting me in the dumps a little I guess.

Please do not think that I'm not happy for my sister. I love her more than anything....finally she feels good about herself again! All in all, maybe I just needed vent, but this has been on my mind and I needed to get it out!

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you are on different paths, progressing in different ways. i wish her all the best, but who knows? maybe she won't have the long term success u will have? maybe your lifestyle changes will keep you disease free and healthy later in life? maybe she will lose the weight, but still be stuck dealing with the emotional issues?

to put it another way: trust the process. as much as possible, avoid comparing to others. none of us knows what the near or far future holds. do what works for you, be happy when others do what works for them. strengthen your resolve, push harder, and trust.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    From what I understand recovering from the surgery, post-op eating, etc are no walk in the park; plus she'll probably be on nutritional supplements for the rest of her life and, if she never deals with the root causes of her obesity, she stands a great chance of putting it all back on.

Her way isn't necessarily easier than yours, it's just different. For what it's worth, I think you're doing it the right way.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    ^ Took the words out of my mouth
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am willing to bet you, your sister is home saying the same thing about you.

Something like, "i had this stupid surgery and I am in pain and can only eat a fork full of X and she gets to eat real food and lose weight. Boy, I can't believe how well she is doing it by eating right and exercising"

You need to worry about YOU. You are doing awesome. Keep it up.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This. I had the sleeve in December and I work my *kitten* off to make it work both diet and exercise wise. It is only a tool that helps with weight loss. If she is not dedicated to changing physically and mentally, the chances of her success are minimal.

I also think it's great that you are doing so well without surgery. It's definitely not for everyone. It is a last resort. No one gets WLS on a whim. We have tried everything. If you can do it on your own, definitely go that route. I wish both you and your sister the best of luck getting healthy!
  • Tina0926
    Tina0926 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you for such quick responses. I'm going to continue working hard and getting healthy each day. I really needed to vent, and I can't very vent to my sister, who I normally vent too! Thanks again: )
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    I hope the both of you have complete success.
  • Tina0926
    Options
    Thank you for your hands on insight with that procedure. I'm going to encourage her to come to the gym with me. She understands it's just a tool, but I worry all the time about it. I really appreciate it: )
  • Tina0926
    Options
    This is something I didn't think about...I know she is really proud of me! Thank you for making me see it! : )
  • jjeanne2
    jjeanne2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, not only are you losing weight and getting in shape, but you are developing habits for your future. Eating healthy and excercising are not only the way to lose weight but also the way to the rest of your HEALTHY life. you are building a foundation without the scars of surgery or the skin elasticity problems that your sister will surely have, sure you are experiencing pain and probably a little bit of sibling rivalry, but you should be very proud of yourself for what you have a accomplished so far. Great job!!
  • ksmyth555
    ksmyth555 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You should look at pictures of people that lose these different ways. I think people that have surgery don't have the healthy glow that someone doing the exercise route do. I believe you will be happy you did it this way in the long run. I'm not saying that it's wrong to do the surgery, just think you will be happier with your results the way you're going. Good luck! You're doing really great by the way!
  • onlycate
    onlycate Posts: 3
    Options
    very true. You're making good lifestyle choices and will improve your overall fitness and health, (especially in preventing heart disease) instead of just loosing weight. You should be proud, and you'll have more to show for it in the long run.

Also, I find earning my results to be very satisfying :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    30 lbs since December is pretty kick *kitten* plus you're going to the gym so you're getting fit. Keep it up, you are awesome!!!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    30 lbs since December is pretty kick *kitten* plus you're going to the gym so you're getting fit. Keep it up, you are awesome!!!

I agree! You are doing great and it may seem like she has it "easy" but I would choose your route any day! I wish you both success on your journey to health!! And maybe you should share with her how you feel! My sister and I are super close and there are always differences. Brings you closer to talk about it, especially if it leads to animosity! She may feel the same about you - how lucky you are that you didn't have to have surgery and you are doing so great!:happy: