Macros: I'm not a scientist OR a mathematician...

Options
Short of sitting down every night and trying different combinations of foods for the next day until I get the right numbers, how the HECK am I supposed to hit/stay within all of my macros on a daily basis? I've adjusted several of them to fit my own needs (sodium, protein, and fiber especially), and I've gotten sort of close but I can't seem to hit the nail on the head here. I guess my question is, is there an easier way to do this or is it pretty much trial and error with a bunch of adding and subtracting?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. You'll start to get a feel for what foods get you closer to your macro goals and which make it harder, and naturally go for the foods that get you closer. Don't be afraid to supplement any one thing you have trouble getting eating foods you like. Protein powder, using more oil while cooking, adding a fiber supplement or beans or something for more fiber, etc.

If you open your diary and tell us where you're having trouble we could give you some specific help.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. You'll start to get a feel for what foods get you closer to your macro goals and which make it harder, and naturally go for the foods that get you closer. Don't be afraid to supplement any one thing you have trouble getting eating foods you like. Protein powder, using more oil while cooking, adding a fiber supplement or beans or something for more fiber, etc.

If you open your diary and tell us where you're having trouble we could give you some specific help.

It's open. And the trouble is everywhere. If I get two right, the rest are off and vice versa.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    the only macros I care about are protein and carbs. If I hit them or get close I am happy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looks perfect today. No need to be at all exact. Get enough protein, fat, and fiber and don't stress about the rest.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    They will almost never all line up. Look at your total calories, and try to keep the macros fairly close. But don't sweat it if one goes over a little (or even a lot once in a while). Don't go crazy with trying to micro-manage your life. Think and consider what you're eating, log it, learn what works and what doesn't. After a few months, you'll start being able to predict what a meal will do to your totals, and you'll be able to look at your breakfast and lunch and use that to plan your dinner by filling in the blanks.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    While staying within my calorie goal, I focus first on getting my minimum protein in. Then I aim for under 200 net carbs (carbs less fiber) and the rest fills in with fats. Some days I'm over in one or another but it all works out.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Make sure you hit protein, fat and fiber. Try to stay under the carb number. Don't stress out too much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Make sure you hit protein, fat and fiber. Try to stay under the carb number. Don't stress out too much.

^yep

Protein, fat and fiber are minimums.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

It's open. And the trouble is everywhere. If I get two right, the rest are off and vice versa.

Make sure you add Fat to your diary but from the days you have logged it looks pretty good as far as matching to your goals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's not a formula where if you get the percentages right you'll lose weight. Just concentrate on hitting your calorie number first, your protein number second and most of the other things will fall in line. Once you get used to where to find fiber, you'll start hitting that number easily as well.

All you have to do is get close. No nails need be hit upon the head.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with all. I did find looking through the panels at the supermarket will give u more of what u want. Just for an example I looked at 5 different packs of rice noodles they were all different in carbs cal sugar fat etc. Just a matter of educating yourself with what's out there which brands work for you. I always go for the most natural and least additives as we want to be healthy at the same time as lose weight.
    Unless you have special needs being near enough is good enough. An ep of the doctors said you cant over do it on protein (unless eating it day and night). My husband is a diabetic his on here as well. He does find if he goes over his sugar by 20 or more his blood sugar is higher than normal. Just to show the effects. These figures are not a science to the letter for each person but a guide.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really wouldn't worry about trying to get 'just on'.
    The figures are a 'fudge' for an average person, often fudged to make it easier to work for a whole population (such as salt levels).
    You of course are an individual and will have individual needs not only for your body, but that will vary depending on a variety of factors.
    Then you've got to consider that it's rare for food to be accurate to the figures on the packet - there might be an extra bit of chicken in your salad, or maybe there was exactly the same amount weighed on accurate scales, but this chicken had a bit better diet, so there's a bit proportion of nutrients than expected.

Sounds even more confusing?
    As it is; I wouldn't worry about it :).
    Get it about right and if you're getting the results you want, carry on! If not, see what you can change.