Marathon or half marathon training?

Options

Replies

• Cake323
    Cake323 Posts: 18
    Options
    "What is the difference between a "sprint distance" triathlon and a regular one? Sounds painful!"

A sprint distance is a shorter version (for me there was definitely no sprinting involved!). 750m swim, 20km ride and 5km run. There are lots of different distances- olympic, ironman, half ironman etc, not sure of the olympic distance, but the ironman's are CRAZY! 3.8km swim (i think), 180km ride, and 42km run. Will be sticking to the sprint distance i reckon haha
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me as I need some running friends. I'm thinking about doing a marathon this summer/fall but don't have a race picked out. I was thinking about a local 25K in 2 months, but don't know if I'll be ready.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    "What is the difference between a "sprint distance" triathlon and a regular one? Sounds painful!"

A sprint distance is a shorter version (for me there was definitely no sprinting involved!). 750m swim, 20km ride and 5km run. There are lots of different distances- olympic, ironman, half ironman etc, not sure of the olympic distance, but the ironman's are CRAZY! 3.8km swim (i think), 180km ride, and 42km run. Will be sticking to the sprint distance i reckon haha

Actually, I've done sprints that are as little as a 300m swim and a 12 mile bike ride. Distances vary quite a bit with sprints and they are great for beginners (like me). Olympic distance is about double a sprint and an Ironman is a 2.2 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run. Makes me tired just thinking about it.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've got a half mary next weekend and another for June.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to 5K's
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my 4th half marathon (Colfax Half, Denver) on May 19. The last one I did was in September, I came down with a really bad cold 2 days before and felt terrible, so no PR, but I finished. I've been a bit lazy over the fall/winter and am just getting back into shape after gaining about 10 pounds and losing some fitness...so I've gotta start training hardcore!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Biggest Loser half-marathon September 22, this will be my first! The most I've ran in a race is 10 miles so I'm very excited about this. I don't follow a training program as of yet.
    What did you eat the night before and morning of your half? :heart:

Many training plans for half marathons have your longest run at 10-11 miles, so you're in fabulous shape as far as that! That's great! If you're not using a training plan at the moment, just try to taper (run less) in the 2 weeks leading up to your race, and keep your runs easy and relatively short.

I don't log my food the week before a half and tend to eat a lot of carbs and drink a lot of water, but try not to go too crazy. My former running coach told me to eat more simple carbs (like pasta) the week of and up to about 2 days before a race). Don't eat too much (aka "carb loading) or anything out of the ordinary the night before or the morning of your half or you might pay for it with tummy troubles during your race.

As for breakfast, my usual pre-run snack is a banana or energy bar, before a half I will usually eat a small bowl of cereal and a banana about three hours before, and drink just a little water before...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my 10th Half Marathon... just three weeks away! Will be doing the Salt Lake City Half Marathon on April 20th.

Although I'm really good about sticking to my running plan, my food choices aren't always the best! :laugh:

I didn't start running until 4 years and ran my first half three years ago. If you had told me before that I would be running (let alone running 13 miles) I would have thought you were nuts. But I just love that feeling of crossing the finish line! :drinker:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Training for the R&R 1/2 in San Diego in June! I am following an app training program that's fabulous!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've run a few marathons and half-marathons. Research a lot and figure out what works best for you. I've found that four or five-day running weeks work best for me so I schedule two longer run days per week (like this week I have a 6-mile day and a 5-mile day -- but I allow the 5-mile day to be split between two runs if I want) and two shorter.

Also, it's true to practice on your long runs how you want your race to go. We got to the point where we could run a marathon and not need anything until mile 17 and that was only as a precaution and was typically only a gel pack and a little powerade. But we trained that way, we only had water/gatorade most long run days.

Good luck on your half-marathon and marathon ventures! It's addictive.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd half marathon in less than a week on April 7th! i'm so nervous!
  • kmanus
    kmanus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first marathon in....32?? (OMG!) days. I make claim to being a triathlete and have finished a half-ironman in 2011 before I decided to sit on the couch for a year :noway: Feel free to add me!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm doing two Ultramarathons in Jan and March 2014, but will be doing "a few" Marathons as training between now and then. happy for you (or anyone) to ad me, we can share motivation!
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I think this might be my year to do a marathon, always wanted to, never got around too it.

Lets go for it

Okay! You got it...but I have to start with a half and see if I can do that first...lol! That is one of my goals is to run at least one marathon in my life! I love your attitude!:smile:
    We talk about anything to do with running, come and join. It's actually a group with active members

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13157-from-plodders-to-sprinters

I'm doing my 2nd Half in the space of 2weeks on Sunday

Thanks for the invite...I will! 2nd half in 2 weeks!? Wow! That is impressive!! How many have you run in total?
    I also wanted to tell you I love your profile pic!

I can run about 12k now, and at one stage last year run 24k in 1hour 52. If I can stay injury free an dtrain well I can do it

And if I can, you all sure as hell can

That is awesome!! How long have you been running?
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Currently training for the Athleta Iron Girl Half Marathon....its exactly 26 days away...EEEKKK!!!! :noway:

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!!:wink:
    Currently training for the Athleta Iron Girl Half Marathon....its exactly 26 days away...EEEKKK!!!! :noway:

How are you fixed?

What do you mean??

That's so funny! I was thinking the same thing...lol!
    Im on runkeeper if anyone wants to add? PM me for details(pretty novice at distance running, all helps levels accepted)

I'm on runkeeper too!

So it's like the shorter version of a triathlon? If so...I'd think I'd like to do one too!
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is October 20. Feel free to add me, anyone, as I would love more runners in my friends list.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Half marathon April 27, 2013
    Half marathon July 1, 2013
    MArathon Oct 13, 2012

I am a non-meat eater, fuel with organic baby food and love to run
    you can add me if you want...many of my friends run
  • amymfr
    amymfr Posts: 17
    Options
    Morning!!

My husband and have just started training for a half marathon that is on July 14. My third in as many years, his first! Add me we can support each other!
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Coming back from an injury and SLOWLY training for my first half next Feb. 2014. Yep, that's 10+ months of training, so if I cannot do it in that amount of time, I don't know what I can do! :p

I have a couple 10Ks this year though.