Happy Anniversary to Me!!!!!!

Options
Marla64
Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
Greetings My Fitness Pals--

I figured I was nearly deadsmack in the middle of my two anniversaries to get this communique posted-- two years ago June 2nd, on 6/2/08, I sat in the waiting room of a local doctor for my son's appointment. The Today Show was on, and profiled a woman named Kathy from Ohio on their Joy Fit Club-- celebrating and honoring folks who have taken off more than 100 pounds and kept it off, through diet and exercise.

The Ohio connection struck me at first-- born in Toledo, and living in Cincinnati til age 5, I've been a Buckeye at heart all my life, even though I've been a Jersey girl since 1970. So I sat there and I watched. Kathy had lost 150 pounds-- the old fashioned way. She did Jenny Craig, watched her caloric intake, and exercised.

I sat there truly shamed. Weighing 211 pounds at the time-- down from a staggering 222 a few years earlier-- I sat there glued. I didn't have 150 pounds to lose-- only a third of that. Why can SHE do it and not ME? My 44th birthday was 3 days later, and this was me-- (pay no mind to the date on the stinkin' picture-- )

100_5314-1.jpg

I didn't even tell anyone at first, but I vowed on that day to take off 50 pounds by my 45th birthday. I'd tried so many times to take off weight, but was truly resigned to living life as a fat lady. I'd made every excuse in the book. No time. No money. I must have thyroid problems. You name it, I tried it.

Looking for the "easiest" solution, I went to Sam's and bought cases of Slim-Fast. Believing food to be the problem, I decided to take it out of the equation. I'll drink the shakes, have my pre-packaged snacks, a small dinner and call it a day. And it did work. I took off weight. By July 22 I had lost 11 pounds, and was pleased. But, I was hungry all the time.

On July 22, 2008, we were celebrating my daughter's 1th birthday. I had had my shakes and my dinner, and denied myself the birthday cake instead having watermelon for dessert. This was me preparing to light the birthday candles and serve the cake--

100_0781-1.jpg
100_0782-1.jpg

I was worried that I'd eaten too much watermelon, and wanted to find the calorie count. So I went to the computer, typed in "online calorie counter" in my search engine, and guess what I found? Myfitnesspal.com!!!!!!!!!!

I've been a member here 3 weeks shy of two years and I can't tell you how my life has changed. I'm now a new creature. I don't see the world at all the same in many ways, let alone weight.

I learned to take captive every morsel I put in my mouth. To make wise choices. To measure and weigh and count and control. I learned the value of exercise to my body in weight loss, but more importantly just in overall health and good feeling. I feel better now. (freaking arthritis notwithstanding)

I learned to deal with stress and anxiety, anger and exhilaration, joy and sorrow, rebellious teens, high maintenance spouse, terrible twos, awkward tweens, poverty, unemployment, homeschooling WITHOUT turning to food as my solace. I learned the strength and empowerment that come from controlling something-- ANYTHING-- in an out of control world, out of control existence. I may not control much, but I CAN CONTROL what I put in my face. I learned the joy and stress relief that comes from exercise. Much more comforting than food ever was, or will be.

More importantly, this turtle learned how to open up-- thanks to some lovely, lovely friends here-- they taught me how to open up and be myself and not be afraid to do what I do best-- speak the truth in love, and let the chips fall where they may. I do not sugarcoat. I will not placate. I do not make nor accept excuses and/or excuse makers. I got myself fat. WE got ourselves fat-- it's our job to cut the crap and get ourselves out of it.

I got lambasted very early on from some "veterans" for my snap-out-of-it views, and it shut me down. But, through the love of fellow members, I opened up, spread my wings, opened my mouth, loved, was loved in return. My beloved black team has seen me through much-- inspired me through much. I'm sure they know, for I tell them often, how very much they mean to me-- how they've changed my life. If I've been able to give even a fraction back to this wonderful group as I've gotten, I'm thankful. You raise me up people--

Here are pictures of me today--
100_9128.jpg
100_9130.jpg

Yes, I still look at these pictures with a critical eye. And no, I've not yet reached goal. I bounce between 12 and 7 pounds away from goal-- maddening as all get out. Alas, middle age is hitting and hitting hard-- hormones/perimenopause/arthritis-- all have conspired to shift even with this past year a few things around. But, I'm not laying down and taking it. At 46 years old, I'm training for my first half marathon. It's hard as hell, but I'm not gonna stop. I'm going to get to goal or die trying-- and get fit, fit, fit along the way.

After my half, I'm beginning Insanity-- a total kick-butt program-- oh em gee-- it's gonna kill me. But, I will not stop.

So, my dear fitness pals -- as many of you know, if you know me, my message is a simple one-- don't freaking stop. I'm raising 9 kids-- 2-19-- life is hard. The good Lord continues to toss us curve balls-- and I swing and miss some of 'em-- but, I'm never stepping out of the batter's box. I'm staying in here and fighting.

And if I can, you can. And should-- take control today, my friends. Don't give up. Don't stop. Ever.

I love you all-- thank you for two freaking incredible years-- thank you for being a part of me-- a new me.

Replies

• maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    Well done! Fair play to you
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    WOW, brought a tear to my eye! You look GREAT! I'm a middle aged mom of a soon to be 18 year old and a 3 year old. Your story is inspiring. I've been up and down and off and on of this thing but need these posts to show me that I can do it too! You've done great things! Congratulations to you!!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary!!
    You have been on an amazing journey, and you've won!
    Congratulations to YOU!
    hugs
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    You look awesome!!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Good for you, what an accomplishment. You're an inspiration.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Marla - you're amazing! Sometimes I still think you channel my husband's aunt Marla that passed away on 2007. :laugh: But you are wonderful and the way you have taken control of your health is incredible. You go girl!
  • LisaLuLu72
    Options
    Happy Anniversary & Congratulations - you look incredible! I set off looking for some inspiration this morning and came across your post. Thank you for sharing your story! It's just what I needed this morning.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,755 Member
    Options
    Love ya lady and I think you look amazing!
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Marla-Have I ever told you, your totally an inspiration to me!!!

Love you girl..

Black team rules!!!
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Love you to bits Marla - Thank you so much for being a part of our lives!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • burtam
    burtam Posts: 42
    Options
    Happy Anniversary & Congratulations - you look incredible! I set off looking for some inspiration this morning and came across your post. Thank you for sharing your story! It's just what I needed this morning.

Same here. You know me Lisa. These past few days have been killer.

This is an amazing story. I loved it! Tears and all!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You look great! :happy: Love your thighs - what do you do for/to them?
  • inguvap
    inguvap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. The transformation is great. You are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Padma.
  • tpelaez
    tpelaez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazing! Great job!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Way to go Marla! We love you! :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Options
    You look great! :happy: Love your thighs - what do you do for/to them?
    *looks around*

Me? you talkin' to me? My thighs??? Holy crap!! Thanks--

I run, and I began working out on the weight machine in my basement-- doin' those little leg extension thingies.

Last year they FINALLY stopped rubbing together when I walk-- no more "chub rub" as I heard it called here-- totally, TOTALLY thrilling.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words-- you rock, my friends.
  • amy0776
    amy0776 Posts: 25
    Options
    WOW!! What an amazingly inspirational story!! Congratulations on your Anniversary!! :) I'm a fellow homeschooler, and I can certainly relate to the chaos-induced food coma. Sometimes I feel like I've lost complete control of everything. Thanks for reminding me that I DO have control over what I put into my body!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Good luck on the half!! :drinker: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!