Anyone tried a melatonin supplement?

Options
I was advised by my doctor to take a melatonin supplement to help me sleep, and i wanted to know if anyone on here has ever taken it and if it worked for you?

Replies

• dpettibone
    Options
    I work night shift 6pm to 4:30am and take melatonin to help with sleep. One thing I found is that it gives VIVID dreams. However, I found that taking melatonin with theanine additive helps to alleviate that. It does help you with sleep.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was advised by my doctor to take a melatonin supplement to help me sleep, and i wanted to know if anyone on here has ever taken it and if it worked for you?

It will work in the short-term. I do not recommend it however.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I do not take melatonin every night as you can become dependant on it to sleep.
    I take it on the nights after a rough day at work. I will take 1 3mg pill just to fall asleep fast (I have anxiety, so if i had a bad day, i will stay up all night thinking about the day...or plan for the next day)
    To get a nice deep sleep and fall asleep quick, i will take 2 3mg pills. Take it about an hour before bed and it will knock you out. :) Best supplement ever as I was unwilling to take a Rx.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I hit my 40's insomnia set in. I discovered melatonin about 6 months ago. It does help. I do occasionally have very vivid dreams when taking it, but at least I'm sleeping.
  • LilRachelle
    Options
    I've used it quite a bit at times. No dreams for me. The only thing the pharmacist cautioned was to not take it for over a month straight. You wouldn't want to get dependant on it. I found it no problem at all and you aren't groggy or anything like that in the morning. The mint chocolate ones are good, just melt under your tongue. Good luck.
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Throughout college and currently.

They help me but everyone is different.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I sleep fine, but my husband tried melatonin and it didn't help him. Pain keeps him awake. My mother used melatonin, but it's a hormone and caused breast tenderness for her. It probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try, but be aware that you may have side effects.
  • rae_32
    rae_32 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I take it very occasionally to help me sleep after a night shift or if I know I'll be too wired to sleep right away.. I've found it works well with no side effects that I've noticed so far (that said I"ll pay more attention to my dreams now haha)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    yes but start with a low dose. Having too large a dose can make you feel queasy
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It works. I've taken it and it gives me vivid dreams at times.

I'm a fan of the vivid dream. We sleep 1/3 of our lives away, why not experience it in the surrealality of the dreamworld?
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I take a chewable over the counter with melatonin called mid-nite that is designed for people who wake up in the middle of the night and don't want to take something that will make you groggy. I chew one just before bed but only on nights when I'm having trouble sleeping. The fact it is chewable means it works quickly and since it only lasts for 4 hours, I don't wake up feeling like I need more sleep.
  • ashjam67
    ashjam67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin almost every night. Used to take Advil PM until I found this and have no problems with it for the past 3-4 years. Not groggy in the morning, no vivid dreams, works like a charm. When I'm away from home and forget it then I don't have any issues with not having it so I'm not addicated by any means.

I normally take a 3-5 mg pill and lay down with 30 minutes and drift right off to sleep and normally stay asleep. If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night then I'm not groggy by any means. My only "issue" is if I take the pill and then stay awake for another 1 - 1 1/2 then I have problems getting to sleep.

Love this stuff!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I take it when I travel (it's terrific for jet lag!) and occasionally when I have trouble getting to sleep. But, like others have mentioned, I also will only take it for a few days at a time so my natural levels of melatonin don't get messed up.