1 year of ice cream,pizza, and weights. What a great year!!

Options
BackTatJIM
BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
When I joined Mfp one year ago I didn't have a clue what I was doing. All I knew is I needed to eat less and get off my *kitten* to lose weight. So I started logging my food and doing cardio 5 days a week. I had my calories set to low and I was not doing any strength training. I was just angry that I let myself go and wanted to lose the weight as fast as I could ( like most people new to dieting). So after losing about 10 pounds in the first month, a friend who was a gym rat finally got me to join the gym 3 miles away. He got me started with a lot of isolation workouts and I eventually found my own way playing around with different workouts I found online. From there started lifting 4-5 days a week and doing cardio when I had free time. (Adjusted my macros and calories as needed) Macros = Protein Min of 1gProtein/lb of lean body mass - Min.33g of fat/lb. of lbm. - and carbs would fill in the rest. No fad diets!!!! I follow IIFYM and have no need for "cheat days". I eat Ben and Jerrys and pizza on a regular basis.
- My regrets = not joining the gym sooner, under eating the first few months, and not learning big compound lifts right away
- My advice = Don't go for skinny, go for fit! Find a workout routine that you enjoy doing. Don't be afraid to lift HEAVY.
Squats and dead lifts are amazing so do them if you can.
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS SUPPORTED ME ON HERE AND THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED HELPFUL INFORMATION ON THE FORUMS.
A lot of pics below, sorry in advance....

I am 5'9 and joined mfp at about 194 lbs.
around 200 lbs
45391_431001568515_6989092_n.jpg
After weight loss and lowest weight 146 lbs.
herhreh_zpsfc3ed50f.jpg
teher.jpg
ytkk6.jpg

Wasn't happy with my size so started a slow bulk on 11/3/12 and am currently up about 6 pounds.
Some new pics here at 152 lbs.
040113073322_zps5b35c5d2.jpg
040213165734-1_zps70847473.jpg
315_zpscadc6df3.jpg
This last one has my mom standing behind me( 51 years old and lifts heavy, my dad has also recently joined the gym and lost about 15 pounds and has been doing his bad back wonders!. Was great to see that my lifestyle change has had such positive affect on my family )
040213064843_zps3ca773ad.jpg

***Not looking to have any mfp friends, but thanks for the invites***

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Looking good man. Props!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Fantastic achievement! You look great. Great that your parents got involved as well. Very inspiring!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Way to go and great job your parents are doing as well. Keep it up!!!
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    whoa there, amazing job man!!
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    w.o.w
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    Awesome!
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Fantastic achievement! You look great. Great that your parents got involved as well. Very inspiring!
    It still blows my mind seeing my parents at the gym at 5am 4-5 days a week!
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great job on influencing your parents.

I, too, hope to influence my family members into a healthy lifestyle.
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! You got in shape amazingly quickly! Had you ever exercised before? I'm so impressed
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Looking good! Well done!
  • Hollisss
    Hollisss Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You look great. I love that your parents were along for your journey!

P.S. Never apologize for posting pictures :wink:
  • johnkernmusic
    johnkernmusic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Excellent job man!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Amazing year! Thanks for all the great advice and support. You are an inspiration to others who want to lift weights and get fit.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    wow!.. looking good!, Congrats..
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Amazing year! Thanks for all the great advice and support. You are an inspiration to others who want to lift weights and get fit.
    Hope your still kicking *kitten* man!!
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Amazing!!! You got in shape amazingly quickly! Had you ever exercised before? I'm so impressed
    Never was into lifting, but I was pretty active in high school, just slowly let myself go after that.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    Wow! What a difference! You did so well and are so right, everyone should find a workout routine they enjoy! Personally, I hit the gym twice a week, and then I go on very long hikes every Sat. with my hubby, averaging 8-10 miles per hike.

Keep up the amazing job! Good for you!!!! =)
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good job dude, inspiring...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You look AWESOME and you have a great attitude!!!! It also helps to have a supportive family!

I like your comment - don't go for skinny, go for fit! I totally agree!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's an awesome transformation. Congrats to you. And I think that is so great that your parents are involved with lifting, too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!