Are These ingredients in this moisturizer ok for acne?

Options
hungrypotato
hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
I was wondering if these ingredients are ok for acne prone skin. I get acne all the time, but my skin is so dry so I need a moisturizer.

bByENYC.jpg

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Paraben really sticks out to me as something that is not good.. I can't remember why exactly but I remember reading about ingredients to avoid in moisturizer. ___Paraben for sure was one of them..
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of chemicals in that moisturizer..and if you have such sensitive skin, that's a really bad idea. try to find something that is formulated specifically for sensitive, acne-prone skin. and if you could, try to find something organic- your body will thank you for it!

i'll give you a good ol' southern north carolina tip....... vaseline goes a long way.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can buy ones specifically recommended by dermatologists... Neutrogena is pretty solid for me.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive skin and have struggled with finding good facial products that don't break me out. It's not fool-proof (but I'm not exactly good with regimens) but I use St. Ives Apricot scrub every other day and I use Cetaphil facial moisturizer with SPF in it daily, usually following a toner. It's expensive stuff, but the bottle lasts me three months (I only use one pump, you don't need more than that!). The most important thing to look for is the words "non-comedogenic" (spelling?). You'll find these words on the Cetaphil and the St. Ives scrub. Hope this helps!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You can see in my profile picture (taken last week) that my face is pretty clear (except one spot on my left cheek). I don't use concealers or make-up or foundation... that is seriously my skin.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    There are moisturizers specifically formulated for acne prone skin. Try google with the following key words. Moisturizer. Acne. Sensitive. Skin.

Once you have a list of things to try. Go to the mall and try some out before buying one. Ask them to try different ones on four parts of your face like as if you had drawn a cross down the middle of it. Walk around like that to make sure there is no reaction and then after you've done the rest of your shopping if an hour or two has passed you should be fairly sure you have no allergic reactions and you could safely buy one of them. Also sometimes they will give you samples to take home but in my experience this is a less good idea for a few reasons. Less hygenic: Sample containers usually don't dispense as cleanly as purchased ones. Hoarding: some people tend to "ration" samples and end up using way too little to really judge it's efficacy. Not economical: You most likely end up going back to buy the full sized product and then that costs you another trip to the store and whatever gas that costs plus impulse buys on other things if you're that kind of shopper.

Good luck, I have complete confidence you will find something to solve both of your skin issues, the acne and the dryness. :flowerforyou:
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For sensitive skin, I would second the recommendation for Cetaphil. Their cleanser is great, too. Using too harsh a cleanser will cause the dryness. It's a vicious cycle I dealt with for a very long time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive skin and have struggled with finding good facial products that don't break me out. It's not fool-proof (but I'm not exactly good with regimens) but I use St. Ives Apricot scrub every other day and I use Cetaphil facial moisturizer with SPF in it daily, usually following a toner. It's expensive stuff, but the bottle lasts me three months (I only use one pump, you don't need more than that!). The most important thing to look for is the words "non-comedogenic" (spelling?). You'll find these words on the Cetaphil and the St. Ives scrub. Hope this helps!

Very good point. Non-comedogenic are the two words you should be looking for. Cetaphil is a well known brand too.. I'd go with that brand if you can
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    nKWxPBB.jpg

These are the lotions that I have. I have been using the aveeno and I think that's the one that's been giving me acne. I have never used the cetaphil or the cerave. Both of them say non- comedogenic . The cerave is the one I took a picture of the ingredients.

I'm thinking I should try the cetaphil since that's the one everyone is recommending.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    nKWxPBB.jpg

These are the lotions that I have. I have been using the aveeno and I think that's the one that's been giving me acne. I have never used the cetaphil or the cerave. Both of them say non- comedogenic . The cerave is the one I took a picture of the ingredients.

I'm thinking I should try the cetaphil since that's the one everyone is recommending.

out of those options, DEFINATELY use the cetaphil!
  • CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if these ingredients are ok for acne prone skin. I get acne all the time, but my skin is so dry so I need a moisturizer.

bByENYC.jpg
    You need to look up the oil cleansing method...I wrote a post about or you can search somewhere else for it...it totally transforms your skin with olive oil and castor oil! It has been awesome for me!
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i had really bad acne where nothing really worked. for the last 4 years though. i washed my face every night with a dove bar lathered on a loofah. in the last 2 years i added stridex wipes to clean my face after workouts or makeup and i still use dove everyday
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Its hard to see the labels, but I just wanted to point out to be sure to get a lotion that's made for the face. The lotion we use on the rest of our bodies is not necessarily good for faces.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That **** is horrible.

Just use jojoba oil or coconut oil.

Also make a toner with apple cider vinegar and water.

Also put a few drops of tea tree oil in your facewash.

That will take care of your face. But acne is often the result of nasties on the inside. You have to make sure your intestinal flora is healthy. Stay hydrated. Eat nutrient rich foods.

Supplements like zinc and silica can also boost the look of your skin.
  • TattooedMuffin
    TattooedMuffin Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That **** is horrible.

That will take care of your face. But acne is often the result of nasties on the inside. You have to make sure your intestinal flora is healthy. Stay hydrated. Eat nutrient rich foods.

very true.
  • 123CherylAnnie123
    Options
    I think it is too harsh for acne prone skin. You should try some herbal products and use good facial cleanser to keep your skin clean and oil free.
    http://www.imageskincare.com/pages/facial-cleanser

facial cleanser

<a href="http://www.imageskincare.com/pages/facial-cleanser">facial cleanser</a>
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That **** is horrible.

I completely agree, natural is always best and how you look is often a direct result of what you put inside. Parabens suck and Valeant Pharmaceuticals test on animals so i'd say HELL NO!