food out

Options
Im going to an Italian restaurant which I posted about on Monday, but i have decided to go for a salad as I really do not want to ruin my diet. However i have heard that some salads go right up to 600 cals! I tried looking on-line and there are no nutritional information about the menu. So.... which is the healthiest salad to go for with the least cals? I know that if you ask for the dressing on the side that helps but I would like to know a name of a low cal salad :) thank you

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Salads are named by the restaurant sometimes. But on the menu you may find:

Grilled chicken or salmon topping a big leafy green salad (tomatoes, etc...)

No crutons. Lo-cal dressing if they have any (served on the side). You don't need it all, I dip my fork in it as I am eating the salad.
  • joseyk
    joseyk Posts: 7
    Options
    the salads that are available are :
    POLLO E SPINACI chargrilled chicken breast, field mushrooms, avocado, roasted peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes,
    focaccia croutons and spinach leaves in a honey mustard dressing 8.95
    ARROSTO goat’s cheese and plum tomatoes baked on focaccia bread with roasted peppers, caramelised balsamic onions,
    chargrilled artichoke hearts, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, marinated olives, mixed leaves and balsamic glaze 8.95
    SALMON AND AVOCADO oak-roasted fillet of salmon with avocado, cucumber, semi-dried and cherry
    tomatoes with mixed leaves tossed in our house Italian dressing 9.25
    CLASSIC CAESAR with cos lettuce, grana padano cheese, white anchovies, cherry tomatoes, focaccia croutons and Caesar dressing 6.50
    with chargrilled chicken 8.95 with tiger prawns 9.55
    NICOISE yellowfin tuna, white anchovies, free range egg, marinated olives, capers, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, focaccia croutons in
    our Italian house dressing 8.95
    CHICKEN, BACON & AVOCADO with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, focaccia croutons and mixed leaves
    tossed in a honey mustard dressing 9.25
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Go for the Caprese salad but ask for "easy cheese" as it is only tomatoes, mozza, and fresh basil, or try the Fenell Salad. Stay away from the panzanella Salad (full of white bread) and the Antipasto Salad as it is full of processed meats.
    You can also ask for grilled chicken, or fish, with tomato slices for your main course. Most restaurants will accomodate.

Have fun!
  • joseyk
    Options
    so which one out of the list?
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    My vote is the first one on the list, without the croutons, and with a light dressing on the side... But remember, if you go over a little bit one day with healthy food, it's OK... don't make yourself miserable, because then you will resent this, and be more apt to permanently fall off the wagon!!

good luck!!:happy:
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    a half a cup of avocados is 138 calories. Might watch out for them.
  • joseyk
    Options
    how many calories would that have?
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    You could guess on the amount of each ingredient and enter them here to come up with some info:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • lizaleeg
    lizaleeg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    big tip for salads, especially if you are making them at home. Construct the salad in a Tupperware or other container with a tight fitting lid. Add about half the dressing you normally would, replace the lid and shake... you will find the salad is dressed perfectly with half the calories!