Need your opinion.

Options
Hi,

I have 70+ kilos (150+ lbs) to lose. Is surgery just the easy way out? I'm seriously considering surgery. What are your thoughts? This is not something I am taking lightly, I understand it is a big decision. I have tried diet and exercise but I just can't seem to lose anymore than a couple of kilos before I fall behind again. I also understand that I still have changes to make if I have surgery. I'm torn.

TIA

Replies

• Twisted_sista
    Twisted_sista Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to best depression which does seem to make the whole weight battle that much harder. I just think if I can lose weight and feel better about myself, I will feel happier (not depressed) and maintain any loss I have.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You don't need diets, you need a lifestyle change and you've made a big step joining MFP. Eat healthy and exercise and you will see changes. It isn't easy but you can do it. IMO, yes, surgery is the easy way out and if you can't makes those changes in your lifestyle in the first place you won't be able to after the surgery either so you'll end up here again eventually. Get some buddies and set little goals. I never exercised a day in my life before I had my daughter. I wasn't overweight before I had her, just on the higher side if my bmi. I gained 65lbs with her and I lost 93lbs by the time she was 18 months old. I know that's not 150+ lbs but if I had more weight to lose I could have kept going. Once you start creating a habit you can stick with it. I did my exercise nearly every day for 1 month and ate healthy food. After that, I wanted to continue. I looked forward to exercising and my healthy meals. I used to eat an entire medium pizza from Pizza Hut with 5 breadsticks and a soda all by myself a few times a week and had no self control. 2 years later I don't even crave that kind of food and I actually just had 4 pieces of chocolate and stopped. There are more sitting in the kitchen right now but I have no desire for them. If I can do it, anyone can. Seriously :) best of luck and I know you can do it!

Edited for typos
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Why don't you call a clinic or your doctor or a nutritionist and talk over the pros and cons with them about surgery?

You know that after the surgery you will need to take the same steps to learning to eat right and exercise that you will need to before surgery but I can understand that you may feel like you need the actual, physical, restraint from eating, just so it will be easier to make food decisions and lessen your mental load around food and eating. And trust me, I know it is a load!

I know how it feels to feel so desperate to lose and feel like you will never win this battle. I felt it for ages and considered surgery myself but I knew my problems were mental. I had negative relationships with food, with my body and dealt with my emotions (all of them) by stuffing them down with food. I knew that I had to deal with that, so I sought out help. I gave myself totally over to this clinic and vowed I'd do whatever it was they asked of me. I clearly didn't know how to do this on my own, after a lifetime of different "diets" and yo-yo-ing with my weight. It was the BEST decision I have ever made. I don't regret it once single minute of one single day.

You're going to get 100 people answering this post with 100 ways of looking at what you've asked. I feel (and only because this is how I felt) that you should reach out for help from professionals that you trust to help you to deal with your issues.You need to find that one voice that you can focus on and shut the rest out, at least until you are ready and able to take in more information. There is so much out there and you can just overload yourself. Find that one voice and listen to it.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The fact you can lose "a couple of kilos" as you said, proves you DO have what it takes to make a serious change in your life and eating habits do to this without surgery.

Losing weight the proper way will be a much healthier journey and you'll learn far more, making it a more rewarding experience when you hit your goals.

So, cowgirl up and give it a damn good go and whatever you don't give up.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You will still require will power to eat correctly after surgery, so if you can't manage that now, how are you going to change that?

Also, don't forget, surgery carries it's own risks, is is really worth going under the knife when you can achieve this another, far safer way?!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Surgery is far from being an easy route, but yes, in the sense that you mean it, it would be the easy way out-- mostly because you won't really get 'out.' Your weight isn't your problem; it's just a symptom of your problem.

I also suffer from depression and for me, the main thing I have to keep in mind--I have to repeat to myself over and over on my worst days--is that I am worth taking care of. I have just as much right to be here, on this earth, doing the things I want to do, as anyone else. It doesn't matter if I'm fat, or ugly, or stupid, or thoughtless, or unambitious, or whatever awful thing my depression is telling me I am that day-- I still deserve to be here.

I deserve to walk down the street or through the mall because I want to, because it's good for me, because my body likes it. I deserve to eat healthy food (even if it costs a little more). I deserve to enjoy myself sometimes and eat not so healthy food, because I like it! I have the right to try to change myself for the better, and I have the right to make mistakes sometimes.

It helps to have goals. Small goals that you can easily achieve. "I am going to get out of bed this morning." "I am going to put on real clothes." "I am going to brush my teeth AND floss... Ok, well, I'm going to brush them anyway." Add to them as you're able. Add small fitness goals to them. "I'm going to do 5 jumping jacks." Maybe without the actual jumping the first time. Whatever. Do little things. Move your body! Stretch and look at yourself from a new angle. Find something you like about yourself.

You need to commit to yourself. I can sit here all morning and write words to you, and you may or may not like them, but you really need to look deep within yourself and find that deeply buried kernel of strength, the part of you that loves you because you are so awesome deep down, and you have to help it grow.

Good luck. :)
  • Twisted_sista
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your advice. I just have to exercise more self control and learn to say no. I need to keep getting up when I do get knocked down. So for now I am just going to keep trying with MFP and exercise. And as you said even I have surgery I still have to change my eating and exercising habits. I think also it is more rewarding knowing that you have done it yourself and its not surgery that is giving me the results. I'm on a different anti depressant now which seems to be helping. So I will just keep persisting at it and try and remember why I am doing this.

Thanks again :)
  • Twisted_sista
    Options
    I did have a blow out recently too and weighed in two days ago and weighed in again today and I've lost 2.8kgs. It is awesome to see those kind of results on the scales and makes me want to keep going.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Whoo-hoo! Well done :-)
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i would really recommend looking around on the threads for people that have lost alot of weight. ask them to be friends... get alot of friends that are motivated and have done what you think may be impossible for you... they thought it was impossible too. but they have done it... alot of people on here have ALOT of success stories and i'm sure when they started they didnt think they would make it either..i know you can do it.....
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did have a blow out recently too and weighed in two days ago and weighed in again today and I've lost 2.8kgs. It is awesome to see those kind of results on the scales and makes me want to keep going.
    That is awesome! See, you CAN do it. Stick with this site for support. Most of the people are sincere and really wanna help. You go girl! :flowerforyou:
  • sharon_moyer
    Options
    My opinion is that weight loss surgery is the easy way out because you don't have to work to lose the weight. You joined MFP for a reason and one of the reasons for this site is for everyone to eat nutritionally and exercise and encourage each other. I would talk to a dietitian though because that's who turned me onto MFP. I couldn't be any happier with the way my friends here support and encourage me and I do the same for them. Talk to a dietitian and give MFP a chance and be commited to making a lifestyle change of eating healthier and exercising. I've heard of people having the weight loss surgery and then gaining all that weight back and others eat like birds after the surgery. My opinion is commit to making a lifestyle change and getting a support system here. I've sent you a friend request and I will do everything I can to support and encourage you.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your advice. I just have to exercise more self control and learn to say no. I need to keep getting up when I do get knocked down. So for now I am just going to keep trying with MFP and exercise. And as you said even I have surgery I still have to change my eating and exercising habits. I think also it is more rewarding knowing that you have done it yourself and its not surgery that is giving me the results. I'm on a different anti depressant now which seems to be helping. So I will just keep persisting at it and try and remember why I am doing this.

Thanks again :)

I have a feeling that with the new anti-depressants your whole outlook will change for the better and it'll be so much easier to do what you learn from MFP thus dropping all the weight. You can do this! I have a loved one with depression too and I've seen the medication change how he thinks about losing weight. Before the medication he didn't give a damn at all and now does. Good luck sweetie!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You don't need diets, you need a lifestyle change and you've made a big step joining MFP. Eat healthy and exercise and you will see changes. It isn't easy but you can do it. IMO, yes, surgery is the easy way out and if you can't makes those changes in your lifestyle in the first place you won't be able to after the surgery either so you'll end up here again eventually. Get some buddies and set little goals. I never exercised a day in my life before I had my daughter. I wasn't overweight before I had her, just on the higher side if my bmi. I gained 65lbs with her and I lost 93lbs by the time she was 18 months old. I know that's not 150+ lbs but if I had more weight to lose I could have kept going. Once you start creating a habit you can stick with it. I did my exercise nearly every day for 1 month and ate healthy food. After that, I wanted to continue. I looked forward to exercising and my healthy meals. I used to eat an entire medium pizza from Pizza Hut with 5 breadsticks and a soda all by myself a few times a week and had no self control. 2 years later I don't even crave that kind of food and I actually just had 4 pieces of chocolate and stopped. There are more sitting in the kitchen right now but I have no desire for them. If I can do it, anyone can. Seriously :) best of luck and I know you can do it!

Edited for typos

There is no way that surgery is the easy way out. Having known people who have had weight loss surgery, it is a painful and difficult process.

I would not want to have to endure it but for some it is an appropriate option.

Having your gut opened up is by no means an easy way out.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    My best friend had weight loss surgery. While I was sitting in the waiting room during her surgery, her counselor came and told me that the woman who had surgery just before her had just died. Freaked me out! Thankfully, my friend made it through her surgery with no problems at all. She lost A LOT of weight - but then, sadly, gained much of that weight back. Weight loss surgery is serious business, and it only works in the long run if you have the strength and dedication necessary to make it work.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    i would really recommend looking around on the threads for people that have lost alot of weight. ask them to be friends... get alot of friends that are motivated and have done what you think may be impossible for you... they thought it was impossible too. but they have done it... alot of people on here have ALOT of success stories and i'm sure when they started they didnt think they would make it either..i know you can do it.....

THIS!!!!! :)
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    I also know someone who died during gastric bypass surgery. I think anyone who voluntarily agrees to be cut open across the stomach is mad! If you have issues with discipline, there are other ways to force yourself to stay committed. There are holiday camps where you can stay and lose weight and exercise in a group. There are exercise bootcamps in the morning and evening in most major cities. There are doctors and dieticians who will advise you and follow up with you. There is diet food delivery services. There is Weight Watchers where you have to go to a meeting every week and weigh yourself publicly. So, please don't do surgery. Try something else ok.