Quitting smoking + Grad School = FAT

Hey guys,

I'm giving this MFP thing another chance. I tried a while back and gave up not long after... and have since then proceeded to gain even more weight. Now NONE of my dang clothes fit, I feel like crap and am super frustrated. I quit smoking 1 year and 9 months ago, and started graduate school 6 months ago.... I have let both of these new lifestyle changes have horrible affects on my eating and exercise habits.... and when I say horrible I mean I now eat crap and never exercise.

My problem is that I'm a routine oriented person with an all-or-nothing mentality. If I can't eat healthy and workout at 6am 4-5 days a week and have an actual routine, I have a really, really hard time sticking with it... I actually had lost 25 lbs with a great routine before I quit smoking. But grad school, 12+ hours of commuting per week and the internship aren't letting me have a routine. Tips or suggestions? Any help on breaking this stupid mindset of mine would be greatly appreciated!!

I gotta step on the scale tomorrow morning for the first time in about 6 months... I'm scared... I know it's going to be bad.... but I'm too poor to go buy all new clothes, and I'm tired of feeling like crap. Help y'all.

Replies

• slimmomma4
    slimmomma4 Posts: 21 Member
    Hey guys,

I'm giving this MFP thing another chance. I tried a while back and gave up not long after... and have since then proceeded to gain even more weight. Now NONE of my dang clothes fit, I feel like crap and am super frustrated. I quit smoking 1 year and 9 months ago, and started graduate school 6 months ago.... I have let both of these new lifestyle changes have horrible affects on my eating and exercise habits.... and when I say horrible I mean I now eat crap and never exercise.

My problem is that I'm a routine oriented person with an all-or-nothing mentality. If I can't eat healthy and workout at 6am 4-5 days a week and have an actual routine, I have a really, really hard time sticking with it... I actually had lost 25 lbs with a great routine before I quit smoking. But grad school, 12+ hours of commuting per week and the internship aren't letting me have a routine. Tips or suggestions? Any help on breaking this stupid mindset of mine would be greatly appreciated!!

I gotta step on the scale tomorrow morning for the first time in about 6 months... I'm scared... I know it's going to be bad.... but I'm too poor to go buy all new clothes, and I'm tired of feeling like crap. Help y'all.

Good luck on the scales... If result is not what you want, do not go to the fridge go for a run or power walk instead.
    If your mind set is routine centred, change the routines, get up at 5 instead of 6, exercise mornings and evenings so that you can split your time. Food... Jillian Michaels has some great menus, easy to follow, all planned so there is a ready made healthy and good food routine.
    Best of luck :-)
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Can you let go of the all or nothing mindset? It sets you up for failure. Try committing to some kind of physical activity 4-5 days a week whenever you can fit it in (I have days when I squeeze in 30 minutes of exercise twice a day in between everything else I have to do) and staying within your calorie range. Be kind to yourself and don't expect perfection, but do be honest and log everything you consume. Forgive yourself the days that don't work out as well as you would like, they are going to happen and they aren't the end of the world.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Can you work on getting rid of the all or nothing mindset? You don't have to be all or nothing with weight loss. You don't have to be perfect.

If you won't make time for exercise, change your eating. If you don't want to change your eating, find a time to workout. Every little bit helps. You don't have to be perfect to lose weight.

If you know your current routine, fit in exercise and meal prep into that routine. Get up at 5:30am instead of 6 and do a short workout video. If you have access to a gym, use the stationary bike while you read your notes or textbooks. Park further away from school if you drive there and than walk.
  • slimmomma4
    Can you work on getting rid of the all or nothing mindset? You don't have to be all or nothing with weight loss. You don't have to be perfect.

If you won't make time for exercise, change your eating. If you don't want to change your eating, find a time to workout. Every little bit helps. You don't have to be perfect to lose weight.

If you know your current routine, fit in exercise and meal prep into that routine. Get up at 5:30am instead of 6 and do a short workout video. If you have access to a gym, use the stationary bike while you read your notes or textbooks. Park further away from school if you drive there and than walk.
  • slimmomma4

Don't worry about the mind set, set your life style to that mindset and as I said before work in your routines... The mind set will relax over time... Don't stress about who you are but focus on who you wsh to become...