Having a drink while dieting

Options
I sooooo need advice on this. We tend to go out or braai over weekends, where everyone has something to drink. I used to enjoy having a glass of wine or beer. However, now Im so scared that it will "undo" all the weight I've lost during the week. Any thoughts? Is there a low calorie drink you guys prefer or should I just cut out alcohol all together?

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I sooooo need advice on this. We tend to go out or braai over weekends, where everyone has something to drink. I used to enjoy having a glass of wine or beer. However, now Im so scared that it will "undo" all the weight I've lost during the week. Any thoughts? Is there a low calorie drink you guys prefer or should I just cut out alcohol all together?

I highly recommend you look at the rankings at the following website. Drinks are evaluated by their ratio of calories from alcohol. It was very popular in my ex girlfriends sorority house.

www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not going to hurt you to stop drinking. I'm taking a break from alcohol and already I've dropped tons of water weight.

That said, I don't think that an occasional drink would hurt. Just don't overdo it, as with anything else. I believe vodka is your lowest calorie option for alcohol.

Drinking in general is a lot of calories and does cause you to retain water.
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Vodka and plain soda water is the lowest calories option.

I still drink, much less than I used to, but I still do it. I try to limit my snacks and up my exercises on day I know that I'll be drinking.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    just don't drink at all. Problem solved.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I still drink every once in a while. Miller light or shots, sometimes captain and 7. Michelob is a good beer for Calories..

or there's always this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFmKPA-iAg

ETA that is a joke, I probably wouldn't recommend it, though my husband did try it... ugh.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a poison, I gave it up.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    as long as you got the calories, enjoy it. Remember this is forever, do not deprive yourself the simple pleasures in life like Beer.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I still have a drink when i go out , if its in my calorie goal then i dont worry .x
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Many of us think of this as a new lifestyle, not a diet.
    All things in moderation. If this is how you want to spend your calories, it should be fine in moderation.
    I personally have only had 2 glasses of wine in the past year. I get more satisfaction out of chewing my calories.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would miss drinking very much, but what the hell do you have in a bar/pub instead? Do I go diet coke as the lesser evil? I don't really enjoy it and I think there is some truth to it increasing appetite. Maybe soda and lime? A lot of the time the only fruit juice options are teeny bottles of mixer. And how do I get people to believe I am not pregnant when I order this? :laugh:
  • EstherZue
    EstherZue Posts: 39
    Options
    Red wine!

This drink has some studies which have shown it prolongs life expectancy and youthfulness. So at least you can fool yourself that you did not pick the crappiest option :tongue:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    One glass of Red wine.. about 150 cals.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All the killjoys that say give it up!

If this change is for good then I don't think there's a good reason to give it up - just change what you're drinking.

I've found that white spirits and a diet mixer are best way to keep the calories down. So vodka or gin with diet drinks or soda water. A wine spritzer also lasts longer so you drink less.

One thing I will say is that sooo many of us find it hard to not eat a mountain of food (and dirty, greasy, delicious food at that) when we've been on the booze. Might be an idea to get some healthy snacks ready for when you get home and even have every other drink as a soft drink so you limit your drunken-ness, hence your ability to see the healthy choices when it comes to eating food later!

Just my opinion!
  • chelly_leigh
    Options

So long as you have the calories just have a drink! You deserve it if you've been working hard! Just remember everything in moderation!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A white wine spritzer or a vodka and coke won't kill the day if you plan for it. (notice I say a... One or two.. Just don't have too many!)

Zara x
  • bridafronda
    Options
    For me, it's not really that bad to have a drink while you're on a diet, provided that you know exactly just the amount to take. <a href="http://themastercleanse.org/a-great-way-to-lose-weight-spruce-up-your-lifestyle/"&gt; Spruce up Your Lifestyle, </a> that could really help you obtain the weight loss that you want to achieve.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I mix cocktails at my bfs most weekends. We tend to half the shots, or use a full one between us, but thats because we are cheap :)

I have changed my lifestyle to a healthier one, but it still involves drinking. 2-3 cocktails every other Friday & Saturday night. If I mix them myself and log the ingredients. A typical example would be 3 cocktails for about 250 calories, which I fit into my day.

I usually have vodka or rum with mixtures of lemon/lime/pineapple/orange/cranberry juices and diet lemonade.

Your easiest option would be vodka with diet coke or lemonade.

ETA: I have never been on a diet in my life and I am not about to start now
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if you want to drink,,, THEN DRINK.
    i work my butt off double all week
    and i party the WHOLE WEEKEND.
    it can work.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It halts protein synthesis... PFT Makin' NOO GAAAAINZ!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Do an extra workout to earn the calories..that's what I do.