Permanent muffin top? Even when naked.

Options
I'm actually underweight but my belly is no where near flat? Like it sticks out even when not wearing trousers, so when i do wear trousers it looks like a muffin top..
I'm 104lbs and should be about 115lb+ yet my belly is still soft and squidgy, also my belly button is like flat like it has been squashed, how do i get rid of the fat permanently sticking out and the squashed belly button look?

Here: 62e9c533-ab17-4db9-a1cb-bbbc78034d03_zps9ea26c47.jpg

Side (Permanent muffin top): 86fc1a4a-6a80-4c16-b57b-535323d6c08d_zpsd5ee3485.jpg

I want a normal flatish stomach, that's why i started losing weight to target my stomach but there wasn't any drastic changes, and i can't lose anymore weight because i'm already under!

Replies

• McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of experts (!) around here but in my (completely unqualified opinion.. actually, it's more of a guess) I would say that you're skinny-fat, in that you are a great size but that you're fat percentage is higher than it should be, the way to tackle that would be strength training to up your lean mass and decrease your body fat..

So, my, (again, unqualified) advice to you would be to go get a strength training program either at your gym or a good home plan!
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Apple body shape does this.
    Also having a high fat percentage.

Try doing the 30 day shred, this tones up people really quick and should definitely help get rid of your tummy.
    Do weights at the same time to gain muscle mass. And make sure your eating around 1600 calories.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Strength training lift heavy...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    lift heavy weights and you may also need to eat more (possibly, haven't seen your food diary)

losing weight on the scale does not necessarily improve your body fat percentage, especially if your body fat percentage isn't that high to begin with (sounds like yours wasn't, if you just wanted to get rid of a little tummy flab)

to improve your body fat percentage, you need to do strength training (can be bodyweight exercises rather than actual weights, but it needs to work the muscles really hard) and also eat right. To calculate the right number of calories, and also for more information about changing your body composition (i.e. improving your body fat percentage) see the "in place of a road map" thread. Also there are some really good threads on here with pics of women who've made great changes in their body composition from lifting weights and eating right.
  • mollyyish
    Options

Yeah, i thought i had to do strength training but i dont have access to a gym and the only equipment i have is an 8kg kettle bell, how am i supposed to build muscle at home??
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    May sound counterintuitive, but get more protein in the diet, and eat about 1800-2000 cals on days you work out (i.e. strength training). This should bulk you up a bit to 115, and then you can get the weight back down with 1200-1500 cals after.

Use body weight. Sit ups, push ups, squats. The possibilities are endless. Check online!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE and kill the carbs
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Yeah, i thought i had to do strength training but i dont have access to a gym and the only equipment i have is an 8kg kettle bell, how am i supposed to build muscle at home??

bodyweight exercises like push-ups, there are all kinds of variations of these, look on you tube, find ones where you are training in the same rep ranges as for weights, so they work your muscles just as hard. I work out at home and I have my own weights which are not heavy enough for all lifts (saving up though!!) so I also do quite a few bodyweight exercises.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    From personal experience i suffered something similar and it could be down to an intolerance to something like wheat or gluten,
    Have you had any tests for sensitivity to food types?

Also does it flare up more than usual on occasions when you've eaten certain items.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Strength training, my stomach is the 1st place to tone up when I do this
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

You can do quite a lot with an 8kg kettlebell!

Goblet squats, overhead squats (really tough!), situps, swings, turkish get ups, kettle dips. All those will help your core and that's just a start. If it isn't very heavy for you just do a few more reps. I don't know about you but 8kg is actually plenty to get my arms burning doing side raises or tricep extensions. I prefer a 12kg at least for squats but use whatcha got.x
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do 250 sit ups a day, it works!
  • mollyyish
    Options
    okay so push ups, sit ups, squats and lunges should all build muscle.. right?

But i started doing this about 2 months ago but stopped because i wasnt seeing any results?
    How many of each should i be doing and for how long to gain muscle mass and lower body fat? Also how many cals?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do lunges, squats, deadlifts and weighted sit up.
  • mollyyish
    Options

Okk, i was doing this for about a month but gave up because i was getting nowhere.. I don't understand how it will help because i'm not actually fat its just the fat i do have sits in one area, underneath my stomach is hard. When i stretch up my stomach goes flat everywhere except the fat is still quite noticeable in the area.

This is the only bit of fat i have on my stomach you can feel my ribs above and you can see and feel my hip bones its just this fat on my lower stomach photo20_zps028a34d9.jpg

How will lunges, squats, sit ups help because my stomachs already firm its just being covered by this little bit of fat, but i cant lose anymore weight because im already under..
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    because those exercises burn fat! you cant spot reduce and just lose fat in one place, you have to reduce overall and build muscle. by building up muscle in the legs (hammies are a big muscle) you will burn calories faster too because having more muscle makes your metabolism go faster.

Okk, i was doing this for about a month but gave up because i was getting nowhere.. I don't understand how it will help because i'm not actually fat its just the fat i do have sits in one area, underneath my stomach is hard. When i stretch up my stomach goes flat everywhere except the fat is still quite noticeable in the area.

This is the only bit of fat i have on my stomach you can feel my ribs above and you can see and feel my hip bones its just this fat on my lower stomach photo20_zps028a34d9.jpg

How will lunges, squats, sit ups help because my stomachs already firm its just being covered by this little bit of fat, but i cant lose anymore weight because im already under..
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    and eat more by the way. find your TDEE and eat maybe 10% more then that, you cant easily build muscle on a deficit. dont worry about gaining weight, you WANT to gain weight in fact, muscle weighs more than fat. plus you shouldn't be underweight.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    and eat more by the way. find your TDEE and eat maybe 10% more then that, you cant easily build muscle on a deficit. dont worry about gaining weight, you WANT to gain weight in fact, muscle weighs more than fat. plus you shouldn't be underweight.

This.
  • Bexamous
    Bexamous Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar problem. Because I focused on diet while was losing weight, and did a little cardio with no strength/ab work, I still have a lot of flab around particular areas. Try doing different types of crunches etc and add resistance to your cardio. I started doing this kind of stuff in January (while recovering from a broken foot, so not as hardcore as I would have liked) and have seen a huge difference since then. I recently started the 30 Day Shred, which is pretty good.

Get some strength and toning work done and you'll be there in no time :)
  • mollyyish
    Options
    Get some strength and toning work done and you'll be there in no time :)

I hope so :( I was trying for about a month doing squats, lunges, pushups, sits up etc but saw no results so gave up. I just need my stomach toning/ flattened!! ARGHHHHHHH :'(