discouraged...need some encouragement

Options
Hey all...i joined MFP about 2 months ago...my first month was great i lost 9 pounds...but then my life got all chaotic and i stopped seriously keeping track....and i gained 6 pounds back:( im just so tired of doing good then sucking at it again....i just need some encouragement....
I currently weigh 266...my goal is about 160...100 pounds just seems so far away and I love food!

Replies

• sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am with you I love food too! I started MFP 7 weeks ago. I have been doing good you just have to keep at it. My life also got alot busier. I am finding it hard to find time for me. I do however watch what I eat and keep under my calories. I know if I can do it you can as well. If you need more support add me as a friend. I will try to help you stay on track.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I remember back in January figuring out how long it would take. Now, looking back it really doesn't seem that long ago. Good luck to you!
  • allyson223
    allyson223 Posts: 34
    Options
    Keep going! You can do it! I think we all understand how life can get in the way of eating healthy. But you can do it!

I wish i had an inspiring story to share but I don't. It just the daily fight to make the right choices. Everyday is a new day and even in the midst of chaos you can make the choice to grab fruit instead of a brownie or order a salad instead of the hamburger. Just find ways make those little changes even when you find yourself at the drive thru for the 4th time that week because you haven't been home for longer than 15 minutes at a time.

While I have no inspiring story or extrodinary piece of advice, I can tell you that the first is always the hardest. As you keep going and really commit everyday to eating well and making those better choices you will find that it becomes easier and easier everyday! So stick with it! You are still 3 pounds down and you can continue! Stick with it! And best of luck!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I love food too . . . and you can still love it . . . just in reasonable portions (ha ha)!

I also started MFP with great intentions, went on a tropical holiday, then fell off the wagon for a few months before coming back and getting down to some serious dedication.

I also needed to lose a fair bit when I started (still do-work in progress). So I've adopted the same strategy as when I quit smoking . . . take one day at a time . . . remember . . . you CREATE yourself with the CHOICES you make each day. I have that posted at home and at work to remind me to only think about today, make the right food and exercise choices today only. I don't think any further than bedtime of that day otherwise it is just to overwhelming.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some extra support. I truly appreciate my "friends" on this site!
  • Halloweenmom2
    Options
    We can give you the "magic" words that might give you that encouragement to keep moving forward or we may give you the words that may make it seem harder. At the end of the day, IT DOESN'T really matter what we say, what matters is what YOU think that matters.

You seriously ONLY have 2 options:

1) Don't change anything and keep gaining weight
    2) Change things and lose weight!

It's your choice. I can only give you some pointers since I'm NOT perfect at this yet. I too have had a SUPER difficult time staying on track or being committed to this, but I realized that as the days passed by, the days where I thought about how much it sucked that I was fat and gaining more weight... I only kept gaining more and more. So, stop thinking and DO IT!

My pointers:

1) Don't look at the 100 lbs!!! How about you make a 20 lbs goal first? Do that, and since it won't seem far away you'll get to it easily, don't over stress your mind thinking about 100!!! Start off with 20, ok?

2) Eat foods you love, just in different ways and amounts, little by little. I have done this in the past and I've learned that I don't have to starve myself or eat disgusting foods without taste in order for me to lose weight. I am doing this again and decided to slowly change the way I eat, this is NOT a race, it's a lifestyle, changing the way you eat little by little. Don't worry if you only lose 1 lb, choose different options and little by little you'll get used to it. Find healthy yummy recipes online, you can find YUMMY good healthy food, not just plain canned tuna for lunch.

3) I know that the last time I tried I decided to go on FULL force! I ate NOTHING but disgusting OPTIONS for healthy foods. I went SUPER strict, I had NOTHING good and decided to work out like there was no tomorrow, well... it went well for about 2 weeks and then.... I just couldn't handle it anymore! I got tired of not being able to enjoy something sweet or a day off. What has worked for me this time is that I have taken it super easy, yeah it may take longer for me to lose the weight but for sure I'll stay on track. I didn't start exercising until this week really, I gave myself 2 weeks of just healthy eating and this week I added exercise, AND not even real exercise - but more like dancing! I love dancing so I dance at home and sweat my *kitten* off and I burn calories without even knowing.

4) You don't have to run, learn how to WALK first?

XOXO
    Adriana

Add me!
  • kwelborn2873
    Options
    The smallest changes can have the biggest impact. Just because you are trying to get healthy and lose weight doesn't mean you can't have some of the things you like. Making small adjustments in your eating habits will help you succeed in your weight loss and you will not feel like you are doing without some of the things you like. You might also do a little more exercise than normal on a day that you had a higher calorie treat. Make smart choices though and don't eat too late in the evening. I suggest not eating after 7:00 p.m. Good luck you'll get there.

Kathy
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    You have come back! That is the starting point. Now that you are asking for our support, TAKE IT! Every day that goes by, just know that we all think of you and are here for you whenever you need us! I found that if I deprive myself of ANYTHING that I like, I resent the weight loss journey altogether. Now, I eat exactly what I want, but thank goodness for this site, I keep a journal every day and make myself accountable. I wholeheartedly agree with HALLOWEENMOM2 to take smaller goals at a time. A much larger one will make you feel defeated right from the start. Go with 20, then another 10, then maybe 15.Whatever. Just make it a goal you can live with. 100 is a lot. But reaching 20 pounds lost 5 times may be more appealing!! : ) And reward yourself at each of these goals. Good luck, and add me as a friend.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am such a food lover!! I know it's tough! Try setting some mini goals so that it's not so overwhelming!
  • mfpchar
    mfpchar Posts: 29
    Options
    Keep on logging, even when you aren't in a good place, because over time the fact that you are mindful of what you are doing pays off. You make better choices as time goes by because you are changing what's inside, and it slowly filters into your choices. And we're going to have weak times in our life, whether circumstancial or hormonal (a body thing you have no control over).

Hang in there, and friend me if you want another person cheering you on!
  • gingerra19800
    Options
    i kno its hard im at the same place u are...im 265..and i wana lose at least a 100...man the number itself 100! sounds crazy and alot..ooo so much easier for me to have gained all that weight...but u gota ask urself..do u wana live again!! do u wana live for the first time in ur life depending on how long uve been struggling with this..everyday i think man i cant do this i cant im too tired!!!..but nooo i cant lose to this no more!! i am lookin at it as like im brushing my teeth or getting dressed or cookin ..going to work..no one wants to go to work..lol but we have to..we have bills we cant be walking around with the worst stank breath of life..lol..we cant be butt naked..out and about..lol!! and if u dont cook how u guna live!!..u feel me!! dont give up ever!!! easier said than done..but u obviously want it...cuz ur askin for help...so u havent given up u just had a brain fart!!..lol!! and 1 pound or 100...is beeter than nuttin at all!!! gud luck many many wishes!! and add me if u want !!!
    ginger!!:wink:
  • dantoniou
    dantoniou Posts: 1
    Options
    take one day at a time...seriously. remember that in any aspect, yesterdays actions don't predetermine tomorrow's blessings...that being said, take the stairs. NO ELEVATOR. Drink twice the water & stretch tonight. You'll feel better about yourself : )
  • chelseap891
    Options
    I am the BIGGEST giver-upper on the planet. Trust me on this. But I joined here, I log in EVERY day, and I have not cheated ONCE the past 12 days I've been on here and doing this. Just keep at it, and I promise you'll get in the habit of not even wanting anything bad for you! I eat clean, prepare my own meals, and I've learned that I really actually love to cook. So maybe try that? You can do it! Take this advice from the biggest procrastinator ever :lol
  • Joselem
    Joselem Posts: 50
    Options
    Be thankful that you are well aware of your behavior. The discouragement you feel at having lost control is completely normal. So is the guilt. You really have to empower yourself when committing to your well fare and well being. I find that stress impacts us the most, we seem to lose control and start losing our efforts to eat well and exercise. Realize that maintaining your control over your eating habits and keeping your exercise routine and varying your activities give you that control that you crave. When I am in control I feel powerful- I feel i can handle anything. It is so easy to let go- but the guilt only sets us back for another eating frenzy. Master your power to stick with your resolution to commit to a better lifestyle and maintaining optimum health ! You can do it... and you know it! Good for you for being aware of your emotions... and admitting these is phenomenal. Paste affirmative affirmation on the fridge, write down your emotions and feelings in a journal, reward yourself with a sticker or bingo dabber seems easier to fail. Reward yourself with pride and accomplishment, and use it as fuel to propel yourself towards a better and healthier you! Keep on keepin' on!!! Jo
  • RadioGaGa
    RadioGaGa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Everyone falls off the wagon once in a while - its what you do AFTER you fall off that counts most. You can just stay off and try and keep up - or jump back on get yourself in gear!

I cut my weigh loss goals into healthy portions (hee hehe). I do not look at the big picture (which for me is 50 pounds) I look at it in 10 pound increments - and TRY to make long term goals...

Good luck, wishing you the best and sending you tons of positive thoughts and good wishes to help you back on to the right path.
  • fuzzynorman
    fuzzynorman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your overwhelming support!!! And great advice...i think im gonna change my goal to 20...it will seem easier:) But i really cant thank you enough for being there for me even when none of you know me!
    I am not so descouraged now...more excited to take it on and share my journey with all my new MFP friends:)