night shifts

Options

Replies

• LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If I did ALL night shifts, I'd adapt intermittent fasting to my work schedule where I get all my calories in a shorter span of time so I'm not eating that much at night. It doesnt restrict calories, just a smaller eating window. For example, on a 10pm-8am shift, I'd eat all my calories in 2-3 large meals from 4pm-2am daily. Currently I use intermittent fasting but on "normal" days I eat between 10am-6pm.
    Yeah, a lot of people just naturally do intermittent fasting on overnights.

And I am one of them when I'm on night shift (like tonight). haha.. it kills my appetite anyways.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I agree and by no means am I trying to use it as an excuse. It has just been really hard because my body is used to me eating all these unhealthy snacks during the night that now that I don’t eat them it’s pretty hard to have them around.
    If you stop eating these foods, you'll stop craving them. Promise. At my work there is always a bowl of candy (usually mini chocolate bars) on the breakroom table. I used to find it physically impossible to avoid them. But one day I just decided I'm not allowed to have them. The cravings were pretty intense at first. But eventually they went away. I can look at that bowl now and not be the least bit tempted.
  • angelicamendoza2
    angelicamendoza2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes I have made the commitment and I will stick to it. What I find to be cruel are the co workers that see how hard I am trying and feel the need to insist that I eat all that junk. I even had one girl get mad and say I am ungrateful because she cooked the cupcakes especially for me.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Yes I have made the commitment and I will stick to it. What I find to be cruel are the co workers that see how hard I am trying and feel the need to insist that I eat all that junk. I even had one girl get mad and say I am ungrateful because she cooked the cupcakes especially for me.

stick to your guns and they will all get used to the new you.
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    stick to your guns and they will all get used to the new you.

Thank You, I know it wont be easy but I am sure it will be worth it :)
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I work 7P-7A three nights a week and this is what I do on the nights I work. I eat dinner before I go to work. I have a snack at 10PM, then "lunch" at 2AM, then another snack around 6:30AM so I will have energy for the gym, which I go to on my way home. Then I have breakfast before going to bed. My diary is open if you want to take a look. My non work days are usually higher calorie than my workdays.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    do not take the good stuff with you.
    stick to carrots, and celery,
    YUM/.
    or not.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about avoiding candy at night. There is always a large tray of candy where I work, and I used to eat candy all night, tons of it. I finally decided that enough was enough, it has been about 6 weeks since I touched the candy. I had the hardest time when someone brought in doughnuts.... not kidding, I had dreams about doughnuts that night. I bought a creme stick from a better bakery that weekend, it was awesome. IMO, you should get to enjoy crappy foods sometimes. Moderation has always been my key to success.

I worked days through the fall last year and found that there was much, much more food to avoid. I probably gained 5 lbs working days.
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    I work 7P-7A three nights a week and this is what I do on the nights I work. I eat dinner before I go to work. I have a snack at 10PM, then "lunch" at 2AM, then another snack around 6:30AM so I will have energy for the gym, which I go to on my way home. Then I have breakfast before going to bed. My diary is open if you want to take a look. My non work days are usually higher calorie than my workdays.

awesome thank you. I really have no excuse, our boss has just signed us up for a free gym membership. today will be day 2 :) after work I am heading straight over to the gym to get some cardio in :)
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a generous perk from your company. Good for them and you!
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    I know what you mean about avoiding candy at night. There is always a large tray of candy where I work, and I used to eat candy all night, tons of it. I finally decided that enough was enough, it has been about 6 weeks since I touched the candy. I had the hardest time when someone brought in doughnuts.... not kidding, I had dreams about doughnuts that night.

I worked days through the fall last year and found that there was much, much more food to avoid. I probably gained 5 lbs working days.

I have replaced the junk food with grapefruit and baby carrots.. I used to start off with one chocolate kiss and then by the time I realized it I had almost finished the whole bag… SMH.. One of the hardest things for me to cut out of my diet has been dark soda. Coke and chocolate were my all time favorite..they did the trick..
  • laurenh729
    laurenh729 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i def packed low cal snacks and pre logged so i knew exactly what i was "allowed" .. with trial and error ive created better habits and its second nature now... i started insanity this week, ive been at a plateau for far too long and am trying changing it up. find what works (keeping sweets to a minimum) and u will feel less overwhelmed when you get into a groove.. awesome for the gym membership!!! im too tired when i get out, good for you!!!!!
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    Wow, that's a generous perk from your company. Good for them and you!
    Happy employees are productive employees  works for me lol I am going to take advantage of the opportunity and give it my all.
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    i def packed low cal snacks and pre logged so i knew exactly what i was "allowed" .. with trial and error ive created better habits and its second nature now... i started insanity this week, ive been at a plateau for far too long and am trying changing it up. find what works (keeping sweets to a minimum) and u will feel less overwhelmed when you get into a groove.. awesome for the gym membership!!! im too tired when i get out, good for you!!!!!

I am tired as well but I know how lazy I can be so I choose to just get it out of the way. It sounds unreal but even after i already have my workout clothes on I am still looking for excuses to try and talk myself out of going :( Not this time no I refuse to fail yet once again
  • kemetta1
    kemetta1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work nights sometimes and I just treat it like a normal day. For example although I may wake up at 1200 noon that's technically my breakfast, lunch is around 5pm then dinner is at 10 at night. I have snacks at 2am and then im off at 5am. Shower and sleep. Workouts are a little harder to fit in as I don't like to run on a treadmill and am weary of running alone in the hours of darkness. But As soon as I get off I can workout before sleeping and then I am good for that day. Doesn't always work out like that but briefs well. Happy losing !
    :)
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    I work nights sometimes and I just treat it like a normal day. For example although I may wake up at 1200 noon that's technically my breakfast, lunch is around 5pm then dinner is at 10 at night. I have snacks at 2am and then im off at 5am. Shower and sleep. Workouts are a little harder to fit in as I don't like to run on a treadmill and am weary of running alone in the hours of darkness. But As soon as I get off I can workout before sleeping and then I am good for that day. Doesn't always work out like that but briefs well. Happy losing !
    :)
    I am super motivated and I am looking forward to seeing the results of all the positive changes I have made.
  • cfbuss29
    cfbuss29 Posts: 11
    Options
    I also work nights, as they may be hard its not impossible to be healthy and still work this shift. I've found for ME to work best is to wake during normal eating hours and eat at normal meal times. I almost always work out at 530 pm and eat dinner afterwards then take a quick nap before an 11pm shift. I also workout 6days a week, I feel that I'm able to get through night shifts better because I am active. If you must eat on a night shift try yogurt, fruit, veggies, or lean meats. Also I've noticed its been helpful that I dont eat carbs after lunchtime so I dont have that yucky carb crash. Just try something different and see how it works for you!
  • laurenh729
    laurenh729 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    oh no i completely understand! ive been there!! for a short period i went to the gym after work, its sooo excausting!! great job staying!!
  • mariah_papaya
    mariah_papaya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work six hours on, six hours off, 24/7, for 28 days in a row, and then have 28 off. It is nuts. It took me two years to really get a system in place that works for me and stops me from going on exhaustion carb binges. You can do it. Have healthy snacks packed with protein available to grab when you're hungry, and really ask yourself, "Am I Hungry, or Bored?"
  • angelicamendoza2
    Options
    I also work nights, as they may be hard its not impossible to be healthy and still work this shift. I've found for ME to work best is to wake during normal eating hours and eat at normal meal times. I almost always work out at 530 pm and eat dinner afterwards then take a quick nap before an 11pm shift. I also workout 6days a week, I feel that I'm able to get through night shifts better because I am active. If you must eat on a night shift try yogurt, fruit, veggies, or lean meats. Also I've noticed its been helpful that I dont eat carbs after lunchtime so I dont have that yucky carb crash. Just try something different and see how it works for you!
    First of all kudos 6 days a week is awesome :) congrats because I know that starting the gym is never easy.. I appreciate your feedback Thank You