I stink at running!! Really :/

Options

Replies

• carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! When I first started running, I did C25K and my running pace was 4.5 mph. That was 8 months ago. My current average pace is 6 mph. It takes time and practice!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, and focus on yourself. By getting out and moving and trying, you are well ahead of many others (Many don't try at all.). If you feel you are slow compared to others, then race against yourself and celebrate even 1 second off of your time or a .1 mile increase in distance/endurance. Congratulations on getting out there and doing it and I hope you continue.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You don't stink!...you are a champion, every step you take is one step closer to your goals.You will never win if you don't start.
    It will become easier and if already enjoy it, you are already over the hardest part.Persistence and determination will take you to the most wonderful of places. cliche cliche etc
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    i started c25k back in august, at nearly 400 pounds ... there were times that i felt like i was barely moving at a walking pace ... BUT, i was STILL running ... maybe i was the slowest runner of all time, but i was still running!! DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Oh dude I'm slow as crap!

I do a 5k in like 37/38 minutes :(

In the past I have gotten my 5k down to 31 minutes. The way I did that was running longer distances most of the week and on Friday I'd do a 5k. Every week my 5k got faster. It's like your mind/body knows that 5k is no longer a big deal so you run faster.
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your only 4 weeks in...give it time. Don't compare yourself to what you did yesterday, compared to a month ago, your flying.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm slow too! Like really slow. I used to be even slower than I currently am. I've raced 2 races where I came in dead last. DEAD LAST! One race, to this very day, I hold the record for being the slowest person to ever finish it. So trust me: I know slow.

I care, but only in the sense that I'm aware of my slowness. Past that, my options are to either give up in disgrace and disgust, or keep on trucking. Considering how much I love running. And biking. And swimming. And triathlon? I'd much rather just keep on trucking.

Look - think of golf. How many people do you know who suck at golf but go out there and do it anyway? Probably lots. Golf courses are littered with people who stink up the course but keep doing it because it's fun to them.

This is how running and triathlon are for me. They're FUN! Yes I may be slow. But WOW!!!, do I love it! The joys I get from training and racing far exceed the displeasure of being slow.

I hope this helps, from one slowpoke to another.
    TriJoe.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The fact is, if running was easy, everyone would do it. It does come naturally easy for some, but most of us have to really work at it. When I first got to the point of running the 5k distance at the end of May a couple of years ago , my 5k time with the jogger was 38:22, 7 weeks later I ran a 5k race with the stroller in 29:52. It just takes practice and you will get faster.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm slow too! Like really slow. I used to be even slower than I currently am. I've raced 2 races where I came in dead last. DEAD LAST! One race, to this very day, I hold the record for being the slowest person to ever finish it. So trust me: I know slow.

I care, but only in the sense that I'm aware of my slowness. Past that, my options are to either give up in disgrace and disgust, or keep on trucking. Considering how much I love running. And biking. And swimming. And triathlon? I'd much rather just keep on trucking.

Look - think of golf. How many people do you know who suck at golf but go out there and do it anyway? Probably lots. Golf courses are littered with people who stink up the course but keep doing it because it's fun to them.

This is how running and triathlon are for me. They're FUN! Yes I may be slow. But WOW!!!, do I love it! The joys I get from training and racing far exceed the displeasure of being slow.

I hope this helps, from one slowpoke to another.
    TriJoe.

<3 it!!

I've always been a "slow" runner. I don't care. I love running. I didn't even think that I could run. I would say, "Look at my body type (curvy). Does this look like a runner to you?" My husband convinced me that "anyone can run"... and I believed him. That was over 17 years ago. And I keep striving to get faster and faster. If you asked me 17 years ago if I thought that I might run a marathon someday, I would have said, "No way!" Keep at it! You'll never know what you can achieve till you give it your best shot!
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 1 1/2 years now. I am still very slow. I love to run and would love to get to 10 minute miles (which I would consider FAZT!) I am usually around 12 MM, however, on long runs I have done 14+MM and that is running not walking.
    Bottom line is... some people are slower than others. I hope to become faster, but if I dont... I am ok with that. I love to run so why should I stop just because I am slow.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    My fastest pace this week has been 15 min/mile averaging a 3.5 mph pace.
    I know this stinks! Is it even worth it?
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.
    I feel bummed because everyone seems to be doing <10 min miles.
    Should I give it up and try something else?

Running is about what you are doing, not what anyone else is doing. And C25K is about doing the distance, speed comes later.

If you want to run your 5k, I'd say it's worth it. IMO quitting just gives you the seeds of the excuse you need to quit whatever your next goal is.

See it through, then start working on speed if you feel like you need to.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone who says "stick with it" however, there's some actual science to what you're encountering. (Yay science!) If you're a sprinter, yeah, there's a physiological explanation to why you might be struggling with endurance versus speed.

Sprinters train differently than distance runners, so they build / condition muscles differently. If you research "slow twitch versus fast twitch muscle fibers" (yeah, I know, it sounds funny) you'll see that there IS a difference. Not a bro-science difference, but an actual physiological one. It's explained in any college-level anatomy and physiology textbook. A search on Google will provide info as well, but it's not always easy to tell what's valid and what's not. ;)

A layman's explanation:
    http://blog.vitacost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Marsh-muscle-fibers-table3.png

A nerdier explanation:
    http://jgp.rupress.org/content/134/4/323/F9.large.jpg

Hope that helps.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Running is something you have to train for to be good at it. I used to suck at it but i trained evveryday and pushed myself a little harder every time. For instance, on day one i Walked at a 3.5 mph for 10 minutess, ran at 4.5 mph for 5 minutes, walked for 10, and so on. I did this for about an hour. After 3 days i increased my running time 2 minutes and decreased my walking time. Once I got comfortable with that I increased my speed for both walking and running. After about 2 weeks I could run staright at 5 mph for 30 minutes. I kept pushing myself a little bit more everyday. You have to push yourself a little extra. If you are on a treadmill add a little incline every so often for a minute or so. I remeber the first time I learned how to run i started out just like this. About 6 months later i ran at a 7 mph pace for 1 hour straight which was huge for me. Now, I2 years later im not in same shape. I run av avarage of 6 miles per hour.

If you never have been a runner it is tough at first but it will get better. Just remeber to push yourself if you can ;). It will pay off.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!
    Don't stress over time or distance! It's more important to enjoy the experience. The more fun you have while running, the more you will want to run. The more you run the better you will get!
    One of the ways I stay motivated is to run with a group once per week. I enjoy the social aspect of the group running. And, as I was working my way up to my first 5K. I found that while running with a group we all talked. As I participated in the conversations, my mind was not on trying to control my breathing while running. Once my breathing became natural, my speed and ability to run distances increased dramatically.
    All the best!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Do not give it up! I have the slowest time, but I don't care. I did a 5k in 44 minutes and I was so proud of myself. :laugh: We can only get better!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I would definitely stick with it if it's something you enjoy doing - if it's not, feel free to swap for something else.

I'm an exrunner from just middle and high school, so my speed went down fairly quickly, but that's not the case for almost everyone else. HOWEVER, I'm still not very fast. When I started in mid January, my mile was something like 14 mins. Now it's about 11 and a half! Which isn't very fast, honestly, but it feels a lot faster than I was running before! (and I still can't run for more than about 5 or 6 minutes without having to walk for a bit, but that's worked into my times).
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR17khPG2kl9-rNWUY1ciM1ah8FQ6QO28wmABqAupe-fC9qE1w0aw
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Read the works of John "The Penguin" Bingham. He talks about his marathon running and how slow he is, to the point where when he crosses the finish line, they have taken it down and have the clock just sitting on a chair.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and have patience. Speed will eventually come.

Last year when I started running, I was clocking 14min/miles and slower. Now, I'm consistently hitting sub-11min/miles in races and trying to break the sub-10min/mile mark.

Edited to add: last month the Athletics Club I'm in held a 1 mile time trial. I shocked myself. I did the mile in 08:34. As long as you stick with it and only worry about beating yourself then you will get faster.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I was a distance runner in high school. But I stopped running after Cross Country was over my senior year (11 years ago). I started the C25K in Sept. The first week I barely got past the 60 seconds of running! I timed my first mile and I was running at 14 minutes a mile. I used to be able to run 7:30 minute miles. I got discouraged too. And I knew I had a race coming up, so I was even more nervous. I finished the program and I ran my first 5K in a 37:31 (races are always faster). So after I built the endurance to run 3.1 miles I started interval training to work on speed. I just ran my last 5k in a 28:34. It is a process as said above. Build your base and endurance. Once you have that you can start to work on speed. You can do it! Keep at it if you enjoy it. It is only about you:) If you want you can add me. I am now training to run a 10K, so don't give up!