Logging before eating?

Options

Replies

• royallv
    royallv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I log mine in the morning for the day. I usually eat about the same thing for breakfast, lunch consist usually of a salad w/ protein (nuts or cheese, occasionally meat) no dressings. Snack fruit , nuts or veggies. Then I try to log something for dinner for the day to stay on track. ALWAYS make sure I make my initial food goal without exercises.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I log my food for the day first thing in the morning, but leave some room for extras. And I change it as need be (if I go out to lunch instead of the leftovers, etc). Works for me because then I know what I'm using my calories on and (in theory) I'm less likely to go overboard and binge. Some days it works... some days it doesn't...
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    I always log it the night before right after I complete my diary entry for the day. I find that it REALLY helps me to keep my portion sizes under control, mostly because I don't want to have to go back and change my diary during the day. Also, I'll know when I really have extra calories to spare (I log workouts ahead of time as well) and when I can't afford that handful of almonds!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot with breakfast because then it I already know what I am going to have and it logged. Works great for me then I kind of change it up more because I am not so tired and not wanting to think. I also do it when I know I will pack a lunch and it works great then it's a lot easier to tell myself that I already log for the day and I can't "add on" that bag of chips
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I was doing full time training at work, and would prepare meals in advance and log them the day before. That way I knew exactly what I was eating and didn't deviate from the path. I've been doing Insanity and up until the middle of last week was doing really good with my eating. However, since about the middle of last week I've slipped a little - I've not had time to think about what to eat and then prepare it, so I have a nakd bar here, bowl of porridge there, and then come night time I pig out.

It's really getting me down.

I'm just wondering if anyone tracks their food before they eat it (deciding what to eat and how much etc) and then just sticks to that? Like meal prepping in a way. Does it work for keeping things under stricter control?

If this gig is making you miserable then perhaps you need to look at what you are doing.
    If I were you I would just log it when I eat it. In fact, that is what I do.
    The stricter control comes from self discipline in either keeping below your calorie limit or engaging in calorie burning activity that allows you room to go above your allocation.
    All the best,

Ben
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I always try to plan as much as I can the morning of. I tweak here and there throughout the day but it does definitely help me stay on track!! Try it, it seemed to wok for you, right?
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I log ahead sometimes, if I'm worried about what I'm about to eat. Otherwise I just go for it. I'm a pretty repetitive eater though, so not much comes as a huge surprise.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, in my FL we call it "pre-logging" and some of my MFP friends and I do it from time to time. I do notice that if I eat a carb heavy breakfast that is not balanced by enough protein or fat, I tend to get the munchies the rest of the day. Case in point, eating no breakfast this weekend on Easter Sunday and then having birthday cake as my first thing eaten at a Birthday Party picnic. Made me carb crave for the rest of the day.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    My first and last meals are usually a given (proatmeal/ protein pancakes or shake.... then at night, just a shake), but its the three middle meals I get to allow some variance for.
  • sandieh04
    sandieh04 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes I always log my food in the morning for the day or even the day before...keeps me on track and I always know if I have an extra few calories left at the end of the day for a special treat.... Works for me :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I find if I log first it gives me more idea of what I can eat - I also try & plan some good snacks. I also sometimes make allowances when I know there is going to be some sort of cake at work (almost every day!!) and make a spot for a little something (a la Winnie the Pooh)!

It doesn't always go as logged but at least it gives me some idea. Then I tweak and adjust as I go. The days I just eat are a bit hit and miss to be honest; I prefer to have a rough plan.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I plan my meals the day before and log them in advance. Then I can choose my snacks based on what I need to hit my targets
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When I lost 25 lbs., I logged in the entire WEEK in advance and did not deviate. I know this is what I should be doing right now to lose the weight I put on during this last semester, but........
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    that is exactly what I do. I usually eat the same ingredients but in different combinations so it's easy to throw everything together in the food diary. I changed my settings to select from "frequent" to allow me to easily pick the foods/brands I eat the most. I log it after I've cleaned dinner up...really worth it. I also do Insanity and if you don't plan, then you are so hungry at the end of the day that it can really tank the hard work and it IS hard work. Don't throw it away for 5 mins of prep time. DIG DEEPER! LOL
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i do that a lot during the week. i am working, so its easier to be more disciplined. and it makes it easier if i decide to add something new to the line up. on the weekends is where im working on. i make up these containers with fish, brown rice, and green beans. for two weeks now, i eat that for dinner. healthy and i love it. if i plan ahead, then i know if i get that sweet tooth, i wont blow my calories. i eat light during the day so i can have a snack in the evenings. this has seemed to work when i stick to it.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    that is exactly what I do. I usually eat the same ingredients but in different combinations so it's easy to throw everything together in the food diary. I changed my settings to select from "frequent" to allow me to easily pick the foods/brands I eat the most. I log it after I've cleaned dinner up...really worth it. I also do Insanity and if you don't plan, then you are so hungry at the end of the day that it can really tank the hard work and it IS hard work. Don't throw it away for 5 mins of prep time. DIG DEEPER! LOL
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Since January I have been logging a week in advance. I only cook for myself, so it makes it easier to prepare dinners in big batches and freeze them for days when I don't have a lot of time. I always have the same for breakfasts and lunches...
    It makes it 100 times more easier for me.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I try to log breakfast lunch and snacks the night before. I've noticed when I DON'T do that is when I start slipping and try to find something semi healthy and quick to grab. Planning has been my biggest ally on this journey so far!! Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i log what i'm about to eat to make sure i'm hitting my target incase i need to add anything
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a general idea of what the foods I'm eating contain so that they fit my macros. With that being said, I log mostly afterwards. However, when I go to restaurants, I tend to look up the foods on the menus and choose accordingly before I'm there. I then log directly afterwards (on my phone).