Fat Legs, Bum and hips....help!

Options
Although I have a healthy bmi, I carry all my weight in my legs, bum and hips. I want any tips for things I can do to lose from these areas like the best foods to eat/avoid and the best exercises to do to that will not take hours everyday as I do not have enough time to commit!
Thanks in advance for any help x

Replies

• barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in learning advise here too.
  • rubywoo123
    Options
    squats! xx
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Lower your body fat. I've tried it all: no food helps, no kind of exercise. Core stuff might help with looks as it tightens the area but there's no spot reduction with fat.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Bad new guys - you can't spot reduce. Your body will take the fat from where it wants, I'm the same - lost 3 inches off my waist but only 1 off my hips and none off my thighs. :sad:

All you can do is eat at a sensible deficit, do some cardio and if you can, lift heavy - squats and lunges are great for the bum and thighs - but...... won't make them smaller on their own.

If you're at a healthy BMI - you may want to consider some body re composition - trading fat for muscle. Lifting heavy will do that - but there is more too it than that. I suggest you ask in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress They all have some great tailored advice for you.

edit - grammar and spelling. oops :grumble:
  • sophiedalton22
    sophiedalton22 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think this is every womans problem and the unfortunate thing is it is the last place to ever lose the fat as we naturally store it there. from personal experience i found that as soon as i introduced squats, lunges, leg extensions, sumo squats, etc etc etc Basically a lot of muscle work the fat started to fall off and they started to look a lot more toned and appeared slimmer. To be honest on top of this i was hitting High intensity cardio which i found so much more rewarding then normal carido sessions. Both mentally and physically but as for losing weight off of it. it is the last place it will go for us im afraid. xxx
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't lose from specific places by eating or not eating certain things, or by doing certain exercises. You just have to eat at a caloric deficit and exercise, and your body will decide where it is going to change shape.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Where your weight is carried is mainly genetic so sadly you cannot spot reduce from certain areas and you cannot target certain areas with exercise or foods with the intention of losing fat from them.

Eat at a calorie deficit to decrease fat.
    Do cardio for heart and respiratory health.
    Strength train to preserve LBM.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    everything I have read indicates you cannot spot reduce. So losing weight will lead to getting rid of that unwanted fat.

good luck! :)
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to commit then you will see no change. Weight loss takes dedication and a commitment to hard work and self control.

Also you can't spot reduce. You can workout those muscle groups to increase lean body and reshape it, but you can't just eat less ad lose only from your legs, hips ad bum. I wish it worked that way but it doesn't. Your body will decide where it loses weight from and my problem area is my stomach and thighs. They key is getting your overall body fat percentage down to lose weight everywhere. Unfortunately our worst area is usually the last to go and the first place we gain.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    While you can't spot reduce, you can strength target which can give the illusion of them being smaller. Squats, donkey kicks, leg presses, lunges...anything that works the lower body will work.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't lose from specific places by eating or not eating certain things, or by doing certain exercises. You just have to eat at a caloric deficit and exercise, and your body will decide where it is going to change shape.

What I don't get is why I have hardly any fat around my ribs but yet it still comes off there, but where I have loads of fat, it's not shifting! Dumb body! Lol
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, sadly it's the last place I lose from so all I can say is persevere, you need to lower overall body fat first then eventually these areas will start to reduce. I generally mix cardio with lots of squats and lunges and some weight training and over time see a difference.

There isn't one thing sadly that will post reduce this are is pretty much a combination of everything.

Good luck
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I learned usually where you want it to come off first is usually where it comes off last. I feel your pain because I hate my legs, I think they are huge.

Just keep working out and eating healthy and you will get there. GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou:
  • camarogirl2011
    Options
    True story..... Well put
  • camarogirl2011
    Options
    Bad new guys - you can't spot reduce. Your body will take the fat from where it wants, I'm the same - lost 3 inches off my waist but only 1 off my hips and none off my thighs. :sad:

All you can do is eat at a sensible deficit, do some cardio and if you can, lift heavy - squats and lunges are great for the bum and thights - but...... won't make them smaller on their own.

If you're at a healthy BMI - you may want to consider some body recomposition - trading fat for muscle. Lifting heavy will do that - but there is more too it than that. I suggest you ask in this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress They aill have some great tailored advice for you.

edit - grammer :grumble:
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options

What I don't get is why I have hardly any fat around my ribs but yet it still comes off there, but where I have loads of fat, it's not shifting! Dumb body! Lol

i know, right?? I gained 40lbs between 2005 and this January....entirely on my torso! my legs still look like i'm regularly athletic and my wrists are so tiny as to be fragile....yet my boobs are huge and I have a pudge belly! not that i particularly mind the boobs....its the belly who was uninvited!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I feel you! I literally have zero boobage now. And I can see my abs again. But those love handles are firmly (squishily?) In place! I am doing squats and my shape is changing for the better, but I am and always will be bottom heavy! I think whatever we are endowed with we get to keep. For ever! Just got to embrace what we've got and improve on that!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    gain more muscle mass in these areas and reduce your body fat % and it will go
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! My ribs/chest bones/collar bones are all very visible right now...but my *kitten* is still there. Frustrating!!! Like others have said, squats and lunges have made a difference. I have lost a couple of inches - but seriously doubt I will ever have the measurements I want. Good luck!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have lost alot of inches from my body all over, but the thighs seem to be the last to go.(16 inches off waist yet 4 inches off each thigh) There are classes at the gym that I go to and one of the best exercises that I found to tone the inner thigh is a variation of the mountain climber on this site it is #4....that and a lot of squats and lunges.

http://www.bloomtofit.com/8-wicked-mountain-climber-variations

These are good sites as well that offer workouts for firming up your butt-

www.zuzkalight.com

bodyrock.tv