21 and Determined

Options
Hey everyone, Im new here and really appreciate this whole concept of online support. I've tried sooo many time to lose weight and after a few weeks, I just fall flat. Hopefully I can (will yalls help, of course!) actually keep myself going. Any advice or new challenges would be awesome. I'm just 21 and dont have a ton of money so my apartment gym and cheap food are my options right now. Anyone else with my situation - be my friend!

Start Weight - 215
Current Weight - 206
Goal Weight - 130 (Skinny jeans, anyone?)

Replies

• RadioGaGa
    RadioGaGa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Although I am FAR from 21, I would love to offer you some encouragement and motiviation! I think that its great that youre starting to get healthy NOW. I would assume that you have a pool in your complex, right? What about a weight/exercise room? My husband and I just starting using these - and honestly, I am enjoying them very much. I long walk helps too..

Good luck! You CAN do this.
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Im 21 and also have a limited budget. You's be suprised that its not actually too diffecult.

Excercise is free and everywhere if you know where to look. Go for walks, have a good spring clean, go swimming (ok, not free but cheap and great excercise)

Fresh food is also a lot cheaper than processed, to buy some dried pasta, a tin of tuna, some tomatoes and beans makes a really simple pasta salad thats probably cheaper than pre-packaged pasta salad, plus theres the benefit of being able to get a more than one serving out of it and its not full of artifical poop!

its not impossible or even hard once you ghet used to it. Welcome to MFP and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • steph_armstrong
    Options
    You can do it. This is a great place to help you reach your goals. I'm only 23 and have been struggling with my weight for a long time. You can walk or run on the treadmill. You can also use your apartment's stairs to your advantage by running or walking them a couple of times. It kind of works like the stair stepper. lol. If you would like you can add me.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I've definitely been in your shoes. I managed to lose weight my last semester of school on a very limited budget and without going to the gym. Just eating better and hiking up a huge hill every morning to get to class was enough. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm happy to offer advice and support :)
  • ARSchaeffer
    ARSchaeffer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very limited budget as well, but you'd be surprised at how much money you can save from making a meal that used to be just one nights dinner, now cut in half can be 2 nights, or one night and one day for lunch, etc. Also, I eat out much less which is a huge money saver. I buy the 100 calorie packs when they are on sale and just stock up and my grocery store usually has some type of sale going on with yogurt. It takes a lot longer for me to grocery shop, but I always leave feeling victorious at all my diet friendly food at such a small fee. And honestly, after being here for a few weeks and seeing results, I think it's worth every penny to feel great!
  • lizabell07
    Options
    Hey yall! I cant believe your encouragement came so quick - it made me really emotional! lol maybe thats just me being a girl. Its so hard to lose weight by yourself and its really awesome that within a matter of minutes you can have a whole support system.

I do have a pool! I love to swim BUT i hate going out in my bathing suit! Maybe I can work on my abs first, pool exercise 2nd.
    Also, my apt gym is awesome. Its got everything - which is good, but sometime i dont know where to even start. weights or treadmill? bike or leg exercise things?

Is it better to begin by trying to lose weight all over and then start toning up? Or should i start using the weights now? Im most concerned with my stomach area if that matters...

ALSO, thanks for the friend invites! Does anyone know of weight loss challenges starting soon? Competition is always good.
  • djz26
    djz26 Posts: 2
    Options
    hey lizabell! Im in pretty much the same boat as you and since we are around the same weight and im 20, why not do this together?! I am new also, and I have a bad history of yo yo dieting and bingeing. I still live at home so i am around all the food my mom eats, and its nothing healthy. You really need a lot of will power. As for you, someone once told me the best advice i think i have ever gotten. When you go to the grocery store, shop on the outside perimeter of the store, not the isles unless absolutely neccesary. The perimeter has all the fruits, veggies, dairy, and protein. look for sales. also try some cookbooks for healthy cheap meals. they have a lot of them these days. good luck on ur weight loss journey. keep in touch!
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey yall! I cant believe your encouragement came so quick - it made me really emotional! lol maybe thats just me being a girl. Its so hard to lose weight by yourself and its really awesome that within a matter of minutes you can have a whole support system.

I do have a pool! I love to swim BUT i hate going out in my bathing suit! Maybe I can work on my abs first, pool exercise 2nd.
    Also, my apt gym is awesome. Its got everything - which is good, but sometime i dont know where to even start. weights or treadmill? bike or leg exercise things?

Is it better to begin by trying to lose weight all over and then start toning up? Or should i start using the weights now? Im most concerned with my stomach area if that matters...

ALSO, thanks for the friend invites! Does anyone know of weight loss challenges starting soon? Competition is always good.

Welcome! I'm 23 and always broke so I understand where you are coming from. Honestly, when it comes to exercise the best advice I can give you is to just move. Whenever possible. That means taking the stairs, going for a 15 min walk after dinner, parking really far away :wink: . If you want to take advantage of your gym I suggest the eliptical or treadmil to get your heart pumping. You don't have to run on the treadmil either, feel free to walk 3 or 3.5 mph with a 3% incline. That will not only get your heartrate up but it will work your leg muscles.

It's always good to do some strength exercises even if you can't see your muscles yet. Building muscle helps increase your metabolism and that, my dear, will help you lose weight quicker.

Always drink your water...and lots of it! And always eat at least half of the calories you burn off. Again, it's good for your metabolism. :happy: MFP is a great support system and everyone is really friendly. Feel free to friend me if you have any questions.

You'll do great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I live in a little studio apartment with my husband (who is also trying to lose weight) and we are limited to cheap meals and working out either outside or in our very limited space. I think this place is great to help stay organized and on track and so far the support has been great. I just joined today, too! I'll add you as a friend. :)
  • Fredder15
    Fredder15 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Everybody! lizabell and djz26 I am also in the same situation as you all! I am 20, and would love to join along in your efforts to lose weight. Just like you i have tried many different times to lose weight and always get distracted by life or loose steam after a few weeks. :( Obviously my goal is to loose weight! But I also would like to find a health plan that I can stay with and enjoy. I live quite literally on the beach and avoiding it because I can't bring myself to wear a bathing suit is such a terrible feeling. I would love to have some people to this with!!

Lizabell, about your exercise question (weights or no weights), I would definitely say don't limit yourself to just cardio. The most effective workouts include both cardio and weight training. It also helps hold your interest by switching things up! The main focus of cardio is to increase your heart rate, so many people think the faster and longer you go is always better. But there is actually a much quicker and more effective way to burn fat! Have you ever heard of interval training? Interval training is a type of cardio that is very effective at fat burn. What you will do is maybe...

Bike at an easy but constant pace for 60 seconds, then
    Go as hard as you can for 30 seconds
    Easy 60 seconds
    Fast 45 seconds
    Easy 60 seconds
    Fast 60 seconds
    Easy 60 seconds
    Fast 90 seconds
    and then work your way back down the list until you get back to the 30 second sprint (fast)

Trust me you will be dripping with sweat by the time you finish! What makes this type of training so effective is the switching of paces. Your body stays in fat burning mode instead of transitioning into building respiratory endurance. The difference is that when your body is in endurance mode, you are not burning fat you are conditioning your lungs and muscles. Muscles require a certain amount of oxygen to undergo the fat burning process, thats why many say speed-walking is more effective than running. If you are sucking wind during your workout, yes you are still improving your body! But you will not see the fat loss you want because your body does not have enough oxygen to initiate the process.

Weights come into the ideal fat burning equation because through weights your body experiences after burn. When you exercise using, say an elliptical your body is working from start to finish of the workout session. But when you use weights, your body actually continues working hours after you leave the gym. Building muscle is a very interesting process, what is actually happening when you lift that barbell is you are tearing your muscles! After you are done weight lifting, your body begins to repair the torn muscle fibers, and as it does it strengthens and builds up the muscle just a bit more and more every time. This process of tear and repair takes energy from your body, thus by lifting weights you are burning calories and strengthening muscle long after you leave the gym.

By combining fat-burning cardio and weights you are most effectively helping your body burn fat and lose weight!! Half an hour is really all it takes. You don't have to spend hours on an exercise machine or pump ridiculously heavy weights to get the best workout! Keep your body moving from the time you enter the gym until you leave. If you want more fat loss, do about 2/3-3/4 cardio 1/3-1/4 weights. And once you reach your goal weight go 50/50 to keep it up!

Sorry this is so long!!!!!!!! I love to workout, what I personally need to work on is making the time to actually GET to the gym and making smarter food choices. Also I am a Pre-Med student in college, so i have studied a lot about the body and muscles and find it all really interesting. Sorry again this is so so long. Hope i can help!

Wishing you lots of luck!
    Let me know if you would like a weight loss buddy!!! :)
    -Adley