BMP & TDEE difference?

Options
Can someone explain to me the difference between both...I am kinda confused: THANK YOU :smile:
here are my results:
BMR: 1646
TDEE: 1975

sorry I mean BMR NOT BMP as per title.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount you consume for every day activities, no exercise included. So all the energy needed for your body to function based on your specific body specs.

TDEE is BMR plus all the extra energy you need because of your life style and the exercise you do.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount you consume for every day activities, no exercise included. So all the energy needed for your body to function based on your specific body specs.

TDEE is BMR plus all the extra energy you need because of your life style and the exercise you do.

No, actually BMR is the calories you would burn if you would do no every day activities. So if you were to lay in bed all day long. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditures, so this includes your daily activities (walking, grocery shopping, reading, watching tv, sitting at your computer, cooking, exercise etc).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

No, actually BMR is the calories you would burn if you would do no every day activities. So if you were to lay in bed all day long. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditures, so this includes your daily activities (walking, grocery shopping, reading, watching tv, sitting at your computer, cooking, exercise etc).

^^^^ This
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Whoops...hahaha...still early...good catch. Thanks.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Whoops...hahaha...still early...good catch. Thanks.

Good morning ;)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    An individual's Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the minimum number of calories required to sustain their life in a state of rest. In other words, an individual's Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy (measured in calories) required by their body to perform all of its bodily functions while remaining asleep in bed all day.

While the BMR of an individual is the total number of calories that an individual burns while at rest over a 24-hour period, the total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) value takes into account their BMR value plus all of their physical activities as well.

Once you have your BMR , to calculte your your TDEE value , simply multiply your BMR value by your activity multiplier from the chart below:

Activity Multiplier

•Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    •Lightly Active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    •Moderately Active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    •Very Active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    •Extremely Active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, etc.)
  • princess_goal
    princess_goal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thank you,
    So which one I have to use actually....
    MFP set me at 1310 daily... to lose 1.5lbs per week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    thank you,
    So which one I have to use actually....
    MFP set me at 1310 daily... to lose 1.5lbs per week.
    1.5 lbs is too aggressive for someone that has 30 lbs to lose. It's better off to aim for 1 lb per week at this point (as noted below). Also when calculating your TDEE, many of us prefer to include it in your multiplier. So for example, I have a desk job but workout 5-6 days a week. So I take my BMR x 1.55 and then form a deficit from there. This way, you do not need to eat back exercise calories and it evens out over the week.

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • princess_goal
    Options
    So basically... I dont eat enough...
    I will try next week to increase my calories intake,
    and see the difference :) !!!
    thank you for the replies
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I posted this thread a while back - many said it really helped them to understand as it can be confusing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide
  • princess_goal
    Options
    thank YOU :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

keep in mind your body needs time to adjust. Generally, a month is expected in order to see the difference. The thing you will probably immediately see is improvements in your workout performance, especially if you are weight training (which if you aren't, you should be as you will see the greatest body changes with weight training).
  • princess_goal
    Options

keep in mind your body needs time to adjust. Generally, a month is expected in order to see the difference. The thing you will probably immediately see is improvements in your workout performance, especially if you are weight training (which if you aren't, you should be as you will see the greatest body changes with weight training).

I do training, Jilian Michales 90days body revolution, + I have a mini gym at home, so my workouts are good.
    I will try to increase my calories intake next week and see the difference in how I feel and if it changes something on the scale.