Anyone here learn Martial Arts?

Options
dirtyd89
dirtyd89 Posts: 170
I'm a basic instructor in Filipino Martial Arts (Escrima/Kali/Arnis).
I've also took a few Korean Tang So Do classes.
I really want to learn Muay Thai Kick Boxing and perhaps Krav Maga.

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I got an orange belt in KiDo’Kyo Moo Kwan, a Korean martial art very similar to Thai kwon do, but had to stop going due to having too much on my plate with my divorce. If my ex wife starts exercising her mid week visitation with the kids again, I think I am going to start taking bjj, muay thai, and krav magra.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Im currently a Kravist(Krav Maga), and I'm just getting into Combat Submission Wrestling. Fun stuff. There is a unique kali group near where I live and im considering them. It's called atienza kali. Seems more effective than the inosanto stuff, as they really get into using knives as projectiles, and multiple opponent, as well as working as a group.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bit of everything.

Underage: Capoeira (before I left the Bahamas) American Freestyle Karate (earned my deputy Shodan between 1991 and 1997), Wrestling

Adulthood: Kyokushin Karate, Jujutsu/Judo, Wing Chun.

Looking to get back into (knockdown) Karate, either Kyokushin/Shin-Kyokushin, Daido Juku/Kudo, Enshin, Shidokan, or Ashihara Karate or perhaps an RBSD, like Keysi Fighting Method.
  • chandjm
    chandjm Posts: 16
    Options
    Currently a 2nd degree in Tang Soo Do. About one year from my 3rd degree pre-test. Have also trained in Judo, Escrima and Hapkido.
  • dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I suck at it, but I was forced to learn by my Uncle who owns an MMA gym and trained in Korea. I like it, but I was always the only girl so I felt uncomfortable and quit
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I just got my 15-year pin at my Al Bender's Kung Fu Academy of New Jersey. Martial arts are a BIG part of my losing weight and getting healthier. I love doing kung fu, but I was really only mediocre. As I lost weight, however, my kung fu got better. This made me want to put more into it, which helped me lose more weight... It was great!
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Took Tae Kwon-Do to brown belt in Toronto. Moved away because of work..the new schools wanted me to start over at white belt, and that was the end of my Tae Kwon-Do. Outside of that it was a good experience and a fantastic work-out. Non stop for and entire hour.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Filipino Martial Arts are cool! I have had a few Kali classes in my Jeet Kune Do school. Very cool!

I also study Capoeira.
  • slhill14
    slhill14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I practiced a Korean martial art called Kook Sul Won. I trained for over 2 years and reached the giddy hights of red belt.
    My divorce in 2008 and my move to Buckinghamshire ended my opportunity to take things further; but the love of marital arts will never die.
    Suzanne Hill
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Trained in Judo and Karate as a child. Tae Kwon Do as a teen. Boxing, Muay Thai, Judo and freestyle wrestling as an adult.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am trained in the martial arts of black girl arm windmill fighting.
  • Pumpin_Insulin_N_Iron
    Options
    I'm training in Goju Ryu Karate. I'm ranked 2nd Kyu -brown with two black stripes. I should be ready to test for 1st Dan later this year.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I am currently learning Tae Kwon Do. I would love to learn Krav Maga and Aikido someday as well.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am currently learning Tae Kwon Do. I would love to learn Krav Maga and Aikido someday as well.
    Aikido will take you years. Krav Maga is an EXCELLENT choice. In all the street fights I got into as a kid, if I had known this art back then, I would have never lost. I cant say the same for the kungfu and the brazilian ju jitsu i tried. I was usually jumped by 2 or more people, and submitting one on the ground would have gotten me kicked and stomped in the head. But this Krav stuff makes you a brilliant fighter. Not because its a magic art, but because it increases your gross motor awareness and strategy.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    MMA since 2008. Not a fighter, but involved in the industry and train with fighters.

BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, submission wrestling, etc.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Kali is great. Always wanted to train that. There were lots of guys who did that where I trained Muay Thai years ago. But yeah, Muay Thai, BJJ, submission grappling.
  • Cpt_Kirk_2013
    Cpt_Kirk_2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a 1st degree black belt in Songahm Taekwondo and would recommend it to anyone. Great cardio workout after a long day!
  • Greg9965
    Greg9965 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am trained in the martial arts of black girl arm windmill fighting.
    Awesome! I've seen alot of that :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    yep. hand to hand military special forces, internal and external kung fu styles, take downs, submissions, locking, controlling, breaking, all the fun stuff. And weapons. I love weapons. Especially the flexible ones since not many people know how to defend against a whip, rope, chain or dart.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I am def going to join an MMA gym when I reach a bit better level of fitness.

A friend of mine is a fighter and I went to his gym the other day - and it was good times as I puked after their warm up LOL I can't believe how hard those dudes train.