I knew yesterday was going to be bad

Options
I actually expected to gain 2 lbs on Sunday for easter and ended up losing .6 lbs
And I knew we were going to longhorn for dinner so I figured I would use that as my easter and enjoy my steak

But for some reason when I woke up yesterday I was STARVING which is not normal I am usually fine until about 1030ish and at that time I start to prepare my lunch but normally on days when I have big meals I just eat carrots in the afternoon as its low calorie and will tide me over but I had to eat normal lunch - Then I ate wayyy more at the restraunt then I anticipated and had a snack when I got home - And still went to bed craving stuff

I gained about a 1 lb - Woke up a little late so I know my weight was a little down because of not drinking in the night so maybe 1.5 lbs gained - I was prepared for the weight gain but sheesh woke up again today starving - This is the time in most of my diets I say to hell with it and eat what I want - But I refuse to do it I just need to get past this hurdle

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Could it be PMS? Or, since you're eating later at night, maybe your insulin is wacky, which can make you hungry first thing in the morning?

It could be the types of food you're eating too. If you're snacking on carbs/sugar at night, that can ramp up your cravings. The weight gain is probably due to sodium from the restaurant food.

Additionally, if you're working out more/harder, you might need to bump your calories a little bit.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your macros and micros? There may be some nutrient you're not getting enough of. I get really hungry when my iron levels are low.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look and get some idea of what you are doing? When I know I am going to be having a higher calorie day I do extra exercise to "earn" some extra calories and then I don't have to worry too much about it. And it sounds like you are weighing daily, if not more. That can be more harmful than helpful, our bodies can really fluctuate depending on where we are on our cycles, the amount of sodium we have consumed, etc
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Definantly over on the sodium was 1900 over - Although I usually go over on sodium anyways but not by that much

Would be great if it was PMS - My period has been wacky since I had my 2nd daughter - Turned out I have polycystic ovaries nothing to worry about dr said if I lose weight more then likely it will go away so anyways I have to take Provera to start my period But last month it actually started all on its own on the 1st so kinda sitting here anxious this month to see if it starts on its own and when but anyways thats a whole other store LOL

I have no clue what macros or micros are or how to check them
  • cubbies77
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can take a look and get some idea of what you are doing? When I know I am going to be having a higher calorie day I do extra exercise to "earn" some extra calories and then I don't have to worry too much about it. And it sounds like you are weighing daily, if not more. That can be more harmful than helpful, our bodies can really fluctuate depending on where we are on our cycles, the amount of sodium we have consumed, etc

This is true also. I'm up three pounds this week, but I know it's because I've been eating some pretty high-sodium food the past three days. My calories are on-track, so I know it's not fat-weight. I'm drinking extra water today and eating "cleaner" to try to flush it out. After doing this for about a year, I'm pretty accustomed to my body's daily fluctuations, but I know seeing that number go up can cause a bit of panic.

I'm sure it will go down if you focus on your macros (especially sodium) and drink your recommended amount of water.

FWIW, I started to have cravings again around the 30-pound mark, and once I hit 40, I let them take over until I'd gained ten pounds back. I spent all of January losing that "craving weight". :-P I think it's pretty natural for your body to say "enough already; gimme food" once you've been at this for a while. Don't let it get you down. I'm sure the scale will start moving again once you figure out what's making you hungry.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would try eating a protein based breakfast and see if that helps....I usually go with a turkey sausage link sauteed with some fresh spinach and egg whites with a little bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Usually have a piece of toast with that too.
  • cubbies77
    Options
    You know, I wondered, but I didn't want to ask. Since you have PCOS, you might want to ask your doctor to check you for insulin resistance. One of the chief symptoms is that constant hunger, even if you've just ate, and lots of hunger when you first wake up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance - check the list of symptoms

It can cause weight gain and make weight loss extremely slow/difficult, even when medicated and eating properly. I still struggle with hunger sometimes, especially if I don't keep my carbs in check, and I lose about 3-4 pounds per month instead of 8-10 like other obese people. I feel much better than I did before I took medication, though, and I'm glad we caught it before I became diabetic.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat too much or different than normal. I think that your body just craves more food and my mind loves the sweets or steak or whatever. I usually gain 3-4 lbs on scale (water weight) but I get right back on the wagon. i weigh myself everyday, log my food and exercise. I do this so I stop stuffing things into my mouth as I know I will have to face the scale in the morning.

Get back to it!!!
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    #1 Advice: stop weighing every day! STOP RIGHT NOW! If i logged my weight every day it would look like a toddler drawing a line in an earthquake. Pick one day a week and weigh then and ONLY then. Your body will fluctuate by up to 5-6 POUNDS just in water weight--for you to have actually gained a pound, you would have had to eat 3500 calories OVER your MAINTENANCE, so likely 4000 calories OVER your daily goal! UNLIKELY. :) Especially with a wonky cycle, your body can go nutso.

Try weighing Friday mornings only. Your body will have bounced back from any weekend discrepancies.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times during the day no way I could ever stop doing that - for me personally it helps me keep myself in check

However my official login day is Mondays because I want to have the total after Sunday as that is my Family day and not always are we on track for that day so I figured if I have my Sunday weight then I will know my true weight loss for the week - I used to weigh on Friday but would get made if I gained a pound back by Monday

I actually just had pap and everything checked and everything is actually normal right now according to the doctor

I can't eat breakfast often because it causes me to be hungry during the day and I know most people say eat breakfast most important meal of the day but as we all know by now everyones body is different and my body does better not eating breakfast

Just gonna hop back on the wagon and shake my boots off - I have tried to be smart about this and when I start feeling crazy to just have a free day and eat what i want to avoid falling off
  • cubbies77
    Options
    Did your doctor do a blood test or just a pap? Insulin resistance is tested through blood work. They take a draw after you fast for 12 hours, then they have you eat a specific list of foods, and then you go back two hours later for another draw. It can't be diagnosed by sight or a pap.

How does weighing multiple times per day help keep you in check? Most of that weight is food and liquid. If your weight goes up, are you going to stop eating/drinking to keep the scale balanced? That doesn't make any sense.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Several times a day? That's just asking for crazy self hate. I weigh daily, but only because I don't freak out over minor up and down. This week alone (and its only Wed) I've been up and down 4-5 lbs. It's not a big deal...and its water and TMI but poop and whatever else.

If you weigh yourself all day long, that's not doing you any good at all. You are just weighing your last glass of water and apple. It's going to encourage you to drink less water and not eat all your calories and that's just bad juju.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself every day? Women's weight fluctuates naturally, anywhere from 2-8 pounds in a single day, even when we are not trying to lose weight.. Put that lying scale away and stop stressing yourself out unnecessarily. Just weigh in in once a week or less.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I weigh every day to stop myself from suffing things into my mouth. I stop and think - how will I feel in the morning?? I know weight can fluctuate 3-4 lbs in one day so I don't get pissed but... I do think before I cram stuff into mouth.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day to stop myself from suffing things into my mouth. I stop and think - how will I feel in the morning?? I know weight can fluctuate 3-4 lbs in one day so I don't get pissed but... I do think before I cram stuff into mouth.

Im just curious.....If you are weighing yourself everyday knowing weight can fluctuate several pounds a day how can you possibly know what your true weight is?
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I don't really care about "true" weight. When I was losing,I wanted to make sure my trend was downward. Now that I am maintaining, I want to make sure it is constant (+/- 1 to 2 lbs). I use my scale number as a motivation and data tool, not an absolute. How my clothes fit is an absolute!! I weigh different on every scale on go on.
  • cubbies77
    Options
    I don't really care about "true" weight. When I was losing,I wanted to make sure my trend was downward. Now that I am maintaining, I want to make sure it is constant (+/- 1 to 2 lbs). I use my scale number as a motivation and data tool, not an absolute. How my clothes fit is an absolute!! I weigh different on every scale on go on.

This makes sense. A friend is mine is maintaining at 130, and she weighs every day to make sure she stays between 130-132.