Putting on weight, exercising a lot :(

Options
hi. I eat approx 1400 and exercise by walking anything up to 15 MILES a day.
this week, I put on 4lb more. I just can't understand what I am doing wrong.
I'm 5'5 ft and i'm 11stone 4lbs.
I've got my bloods checked and apart from high triglyceroids, everythings ok.

starting the Atkins diet yesterday as a last resort.

Replies

• kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Saw a documentary recently about just this topic and how overexercising can lead to weight gain - healthy amt of exercise is good but too much releases cortisol and that retains weight or even gains:

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/05/weight_loss_mistakes.php

Documentary was Hungry For Change....................
  • krucks
    krucks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When did you start your weight loss regimin? I know that I started recently, and along with incredibly sore muscles, I ended up gaining some weight. I was told to stick with it, and it would all balance out. as this is normal.
  • Misstakenart
    Options
    hi . thanks for your responses.
    I have just been in touch with my doctor and she is going to check my hormone levels as they weren't checked in my last blood tests.
    IT's so disheartening when I'm eating well and exercising so much.
    will let you know how i get on with the hormone testing and til then I'm going to continue Atkins diet x
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Have you been lifting weights too? As muscle weighs more than fat, thus even though sometimes you gain "weight" you are actually getting stronger! This is a main reason I only give some concern to what the scale says and focus more on how I feel based on how I look in the mirror.
  • Misstakenart
    Options
    not much... certainly not the 2 stone that I have put on in the last 3 months anyway! x
  • MrWiseMN
    MrWiseMN Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm not a big poster, but something just doesn't seem right about this thread. If you're consuming 1400 calories daily, and walking 15 miles daily, assuming you burn 100 calories per mile at minimum, you would have a -100 calorie intake daily. That's so incredibly low, you wouldn't have the energy to walk 15 miles daily, which at best, takes 3-4 hours for someone who is relatively fit.

I don't know or pretend to know your individual circumstance, but there is an old saying, "you'r body keeps an accurate diary, regardless of what you right down." Perhaps you should take a closer look at your actual daily calorie intake, and exercise results - be very conservative since everybody underestimates what they eat, and completely overestimates what they burn through exercise.

Having been there before myself, I completely get it. Best of luck!
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big poster, but something just doesn't seem right about this thread. If you're consuming 1400 calories daily, and walking 15 miles daily, assuming you burn 100 calories per mile at minimum, you would have a -100 calorie intake daily. That's so incredibly low, you wouldn't have the energy to walk 15 miles daily, which at best, takes 3-4 hours for someone who is relatively fit.

I don't know or pretend to know your individual circumstance, but there is an old saying, "you'r body keeps an accurate diary, regardless of what you right down." Perhaps you should take a closer look at your actual daily calorie intake, and exercise results - be very conservative since everybody underestimates what they eat, and completely overestimates what they burn through exercise.

Having been there before myself, I completely get it. Best of luck!

This absolutely all day long! Are you weighing your food? If not, how do you know you are only eating 1400 calories? 15 miles a day walking would be pretty spectacular, but if you're trying to do that on 1400 calories a day, something is not adding up...
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your diet too much right now to an extreme, but drop more calorie intake. Like many have said, based on what you are currently doing, your may have just hit a plateau and time to change caloric intake and change routine a bit.

We all forget that doing the same routine creates muscle memory...with that comes either no weight loss, harder to lose weight or weight gain. Change up your cardio and become creative and confuse your muscles. Lower your caloric intake by an extra hundred and don't forget to rest to allow muscles to heal.

If all your tests come clean, then look at changing up cardio..

GOOD LUCK.
  • JamesHalterman
    Options
    It sounds like you are not burning enough calories during your walks. Try doing a more intense cardio workout and stay with the 1400 Cal meal plan. Get your heart rate up during those workouts will help burn the calories.

Your friend in Fitness
    James:smile: