Breakfast Ideas

Options
I usually have Kashi Go Lean Cereal, but it seems to have a lot of sugar. Any other ideas of healthy breakfasts that are easy and fast without all the sugar?

Replies

• StephRay24
    Options
    I usually have one of the following:

- Kashi Go Lean and Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Milk with Blueberries on top
    - 1 slice Whole Grain bread with 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 a grape fruit
    - Oatmeal! (this one's my favourite ... I make it with Unsweetened Chocolate almond milk and 1 tbsp peanut butter, it tastes like a Reese's) I'll top it with whatever fruit I have (I just had it with raspberries).

I'm a runner though, so my meals are a little carb-heavy to begin with. Hope I've helped!
  • mittens6395
    Options
    I will microwave 1/4 cup whole rolled oats with just enough water to cover them for 1 min. While its cooking I mix up a protein shake. Whole thing takes less than 3 min. Oatmeal - plain 0 sugar, protein shake - 1 sugar.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do the plain oatmeal with some peaches on top.
    I make up a bunch of low carb toriliias with scrambled eggs/whites and salsa or taco sauce, freeze and thaw one each morning in microwave.
  • DopeyDudleyDursley
    Options
    Which Kashi do you have? As one I have is the high fiber one and is a mix of like 10 grams fiber to 6 grams of sugar, which is really good ratio. However, if you are trying to really cut unnecessary sugars I would get some Fage Greek Style Yogurt, get yourself some flax seeds and some Better Stevia hazelnut extract. If you put a couple of drops in your yogurt, it will take away some of the "bitterness" and you will get a high protein, high fiber, low sugar start to your day. Throw some strawberries in there too if you like! :)
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love breakfasts I have either :

wholemeal toast with peanut butter and a banana
    fruit and greek yogurt
    spinach, banana, orange juice - mixed in blender
    protein shake
    porridge
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm an egg fanatic! Eggs scrambled, omelette style, poached you name it. I always have some toast with butter on the side or oatmeal with agave and walnuts.
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    I usually have a bowl of shredded wheat with milk and sliced banana on top, or a packet of cream of wheat, yogurt, and an apple.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have a small fruit salad, 2 hard boiled eggs then in a bit i eat an apple (fruit for the day)

then after I move on to meat and veggies
  • doctorwhome
    Options
    If you like eggs, try egg mugs. I don't know how I lived without them. I scramble an egg in a coffee mug, add frozen veggies, cheese, and veggie sausage and microwave for 90 seconds. It comes out the perfect size to put on a whole wheat english muffin...and I'm out the door.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    2 frozen waffles with some peanut butter and berries on top, 2 hardboiled eggs and wheat toast, oatmeal with berries and an egg, cereal and wheat toast are usually my go-to's. Ive always been the kind of person to eat breakfast and honestly I rather eat a 300-400 calorie breakfast than a 500 calorie dinner
  • sanric1503
    Options
    I make crustless "quiche". Half egg whites, half full eggs with any and all veggies I have in my fridge and turkey sausage crumbles.
    I bake in an 8x8 dish and cut into portions. Freeze individually and it's a really fast low calorie, high protein breakfast food!
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    I have a breakfast ultra shake every morning made with protein powder , flax seed ground, unsweetened coconut or almond milk, sprinkle of cinnamon and 1 tsp of bakers cocoa and a few ice cubes to thicken it and make it colder. This lasts me hunger wise for 4 hours til my next meal. I eat about 1/2 ounce of unsalted nuts on the side to satisfy my need to crunch on something.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Plain greek no fat no sugar yogurt. Add in your fruits of choice. I use fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries in season and frozen when not. You get sugar in the fruit of course but lots of other benefits. Protein, fiber, great taste, all good.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there :)

I am def. not a morning person and usually wake up the last possible minute before I have to get a shower, change and rush out the door. What works really great for me are green smoothies. I usually have some dark greens in the fridge already cleaned and stemmed so I add a handful to a blender then add a banana and either some fresh fruit like pineapple or mango (already peeled and chopped) if it's the winter or I don't have any fresh fruit handy then I grab a handful of frozen berries then I add some water and put it in a to go bottle.

This is not only a healthy, fast breakfast, but it keeps you full till lunch and it's packed for of vitamins and nutrients :)

Hope this helps!

PS* here is a link for some tasty recipes :)http://www.greenthickies.com/recipes/green-smoothie-recipes/
  • laurieblanco
    laurieblanco Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also eat the Kashi go lean but only 1/3 of a cup with 1/2 cup of Chobani greek vanilla yogurt...
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with yogurt/banana/milk or some type of fruit muffin....I usually get the Martha White kind (the orange cranberry is so so so good) just to mix it up a bit I make them in different shaped pans and sizes. Sometimes in the mini muffin pan or a shaped pan (like a cookie pan)...I know it sounds strange but sometimes just the differnet shapes and sizes makes them different....

Last week I had an english muffin--boiled egg--tomato---cheese (eat it open not like a sandwich)
    slice the egg and place on top of muffin, then 1 slice of tomato--top with chesse and bake/broil until cheese melts sprinkle with some olive oil
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    2 slices Ezekial bread (toasted)
    Topped with almond butter (good fats)
    cinnamon
    organic blue agave syrup for sweetness (sugar, but super low glycemic and you don't need much for it to be sweet)
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am a Quaker Oats lover. It's low in everything bad and high in everything good!

I will add blueberries, blackberries, a banana, raspberries, pineapple chunks, a little maple syrup, cinnamon, or a combo of these. It's an empty canvas and it's very filling. 1/2 cup plus some fruit is all I need to keep me full for the better part of the morning.
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt which I sweeten with a packet of Truvia and add fresh berries, either blueberries or strawberries and some crushed or sliced almonds. It's very delicious and filling. On cold days i like oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon and blueberries.
  • jay11284
    jay11284 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been having a very lean, filling, high-protein breakfast and I've had great results.

- Trader Joe's Brown Eggs Large (140 Cals - 12g Protein)

- Egg Beaters - Egg Whites (6 tablespoons) (50 Cals - 10g Protein)

- Morning Star Sausage Pattie (veggie) (80 Cals - 10g Protein)

- McCanns Quick & Easy Irish Oatmeal (150 Cals - 4g Protein)

- Black Coffee (5 Cals - 1g Protein)

TOTALS: Cals 425 Carbs 32 Fat 14 Protein 37 Fiber 4

I've made the switch to drinking black coffee ever since I got an Aeropress coffee maker. Eating this much protein in the morning leaves me feeling full for well into the morning. I have also been going to the gym after work 4-5 days a week so eating a breakfast that's high in protein is very important.