Is it just an excuse?

Options
I started my weight loss journey last year the end of March 2012. I walked 3 miles a day and did a workout video in the afternoon. I love 30ds! I managed to lose 58lbs in a year, start weight of 240 and current 182. I live in WI and the winters are cold so I had to join a local gym to aid in my exercise. I finally mustered up enough courage to workout in the main cardio area, and have been doing that since January. I workout 5-6 days a week and usually 1-2 times a day. I now want to start lifting.I am reading NROLFW, I am terrified of stepping foot in the weight area of the gym. I have never lifted before and I don't know where to start. I think they have someone to show me everything, but I don't want to look stupid even asking for help. I asked for help with learning about the weight machines and the guy seemed annoyed with helping. I don't do well with new things, so I am having a really hard time with this. I don't know if deep down I am afraid of succeeding at my goals, or if I get to my goal I still won't be happy with myself. So frustrating!! Am I the only person that has issues like this, everyone else seems so confident at the gym but me :(

Replies

• dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    You should ask the trainers for an appointment on how to do proper form on weights and the strength will come in time.
  • 24redwine
    24redwine Posts: 43
    Options
    You can do quite a bit at home with free weights, push ups (modify if need), an exercise ball, etc. However, if someone's job at the gym is to help people, then ask for the help. Ignore the attitude and just be polite and appreciative. It won't take you more than a session or two to figure it out and you'll be a on your own. Keep this mantra in your head...."So what if ___ " and fill in the blank. Don't let thoughts about what other people think stop you from reaching your fitness and health goals. Good luck.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer for help, or GET THIS BOOK! It's awesome. http://www.amazon.com/The-Womens-Health-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295493/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Also, you will find that people at the gym are more than happy to help you and share what they know! I started kickboxing and I was super nervous about going but ALL of the people around me were helpful and super nice. Same is true weights at the gym! Do it! You will see a HUGE difference in your body and then down the road, you can help the newbie! :happy:
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    I had the same fears at first. One day I decided to jump in the pit and start working and I've been doing it ever since.

Honestly, everyone has their headphones on, watching the TV or working with a partner. No one is really paying attention nor do they care about much going on outside of their workout.

Remember all of us have been there before.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You should ask the trainers for an appointment on how to do proper form on weights and the strength will come in time.

^^THIS. And why do you go to the gym twice a day?
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey last year the end of March 2012. I walked 3 miles a day and did a workout video in the afternoon. I love 30ds! I managed to lose 58lbs in a year, start weight of 240 and current 182. I live in WI and the winters are cold so I had to join a local gym to aid in my exercise. I finally mustered up enough courage to workout in the main cardio area, and have been doing that since January. I workout 5-6 days a week and usually 1-2 times a day. I now want to start lifting.I am reading NROLFW, I am terrified of stepping foot in the weight area of the gym. I have never lifted before and I don't know where to start. I think they have someone to show me everything, but I don't want to look stupid even asking for help. I asked for help with learning about the weight machines and the guy seemed annoyed with helping. I don't do well with new things, so I am having a really hard time with this. I don't know if deep down I am afraid of succeeding at my goals, or if I get to my goal I still won't be happy with myself. So frustrating!! Am I the only person that has issues like this, everyone else seems so confident at the gym but me :(

You have made PHENOMENAL progress! Congratulations on how far you have come :)I think you shouldn't let any of that stuff stop you. Remember why you're doing this. If asking for help is what will help you reach your goals, then it's something you must do for yourself. The way I try to think about it when I'm afraid of not knowing as much about something as other people, or not doing as well at something as other people is: we all have to start somewhere. Even that obnoxious guy who seemed annoyed that you asked him for help wasn't born knowing how to use that machine. Someone had to help him at some point right? And the same thing with all those trainers. They had to learn what they know about fitness from someone else as well. Try to remember that the next time you feel afraid to ask for help :)
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    don't worry - most bros have terrible form or are doing lol isolation exercises anyway. Besides, everyone is too focused on their lifts, ipod, or staring at themselve in the mirror to really critique what you're doing.

I'd like to think most ppl who are lifting realize they were noobs once too and will just let ppl get on with their training.
  • ijavagypsy
    ijavagypsy Posts: 109
    Options
    You have made amazing progress! If a gym assistant is reluctant to assist you, he needs to get another job. Read, study, and accept the assistance that the other members offer you. Just don't hurt yourself!
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can get a pair of dumbbells for the cost of a months membership to one of those hostile, smelly gyms!
    Loads of good guides on youtube and dedicated bodybuilding sites for weight routines for newbies.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options

This could sound harsh, but trust me, I know the fear of looking stupid (and my buisnes not knowing the answer makes people question if you even belong), so don't take it that way:

You are afraid to ask for help because you don't want to look stupid, but right now you ARE stupid because you don't know. Ask and you will actually be LESS stupid because then you WILL know. So, you can A) stay fat and stupid, or B) get less fat and less stupid.

And congrats on your phenomenal progress, you rock my socks!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Go for it, ask the questions, often what we fear isn't as bad as we made it out to be. I love to lift, and if I still had a gym membership I would be right there with all those muscle bound guys. Right now I have to be satisfied with what I can get from resistance bands, and they do help, but nothing beats the feeling of lifting heavy weights. At my gym the trainer is a real tool, and a pain to deal with ... what can I say the good ol' boy network at work there. Buddies with the director since they were in little league he isn't leaving and he has a bad attitude. So I do get it, what I did find though is most of those muscle bound guys are really willing to help too. Once they saw I was sincere in my workouts they accepted me into their group. I promise you it wasn't because I'm sexy LOL, I wish I was but too much extra on this body to work my female wiles :wink: yet. Several great books out there that will help, quite a number of youtube videos that will help, and even the tool of a trainer at my gym helped. Remember it is the trainer's job to help you, so be nice, really enthusiastic and you might actually help them learn something as you learn something.

You are awesome keep on keeping on.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents so please no one flame me for this:

(1) Don't bother with the trainers unless you are at a serious power lifting or body building gym, and instead, finish your book (good stuff) and study the lifting videos on bodybuilding.com or youtube.com so you learn proper form. If you need someone to help you then research and study the available trainers and hire one willing to teach you how to squat and deadlift. If they refuse, then walk away. If they want to teach you how to use machines, walk away. OR, go ask one of the bigger dudes after he finishes his squats (to make sure he squats) to help you. 9/10 he will help you.

(2) Ignore everyone else in the gym and focus on you. Everyone was new once. If it helps, listen to your music while lifting.

Good luck!
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    First you look great
    2nd do they have any body pump classes or weight classes at your gym..
    If they do not ask for a tour of the weight program.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options

1. Fantastic results so far, good for you!
    2. You look stupider NOT asking for help and not using your gym membership to it's full extent. The people who work there will be more than glad to help you. It's their job and most trainers enjoy, duh, training people, including how to use the weights.
    3. Loads of people are lacking in confidence, they just don't show it. Probably people look at you and think the same, "Wow, she's lost a load of weight, she's so cool! I bet she knows what she's doing". Go in, big smile and ask the questions you need. You'll look confident enough of yourself that you are ok asking for help.
  • juliahoelzel
    juliahoelzel Posts: 13 Member
    Options

^^THIS. And why do you go to the gym twice a day?

I only go once a day. I do a video at home while my kids are napping in the afternoon, and then I head to the gym around 8pm. I have to break up my time, I get about 30-40 minutes in in the afternoon and usually 45minutes in the evening.

Thank you for all the advice. I will have to check out the videos online about proper form and technique. Jillian's videos so far have helped me learn proper form for a lot of things, so I bet I can find the rest of the info online. I will do my best to suck it up and stop being afraid, thanks for all the advice and kind words!
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:
    - Find a personal trainer to teach you some exercises or show you around.
    - Try to find out when the "quieter" times are and go when there's less people around
    - Go with a friend who's into fitness or willing to show you a few things. Or even just a friend who's willing to work out with you.
    - Research, research, research your exercises! There are lots of books, magazines and videos that will show you what to do.
    - Practice at home - you can get some lower-weight dumbbells for cheap or use cans or water bottles. It might not be the ideal weight but you can practice your form until you gain the confidence to use dumbbells in the gym.
    - Listen to music - sometimes I get into a "zone" listening to my iPod that I hardly notice who's around me or what they're doing
    - Find a gym that's smaller, more friendly or "women only"

Surprisingly what helped me was Youtube. If I had a list of exercises I looked up a video for each one and watched. You have to be VERY careful because people don't need credentials to post a Youtube video (so you'll get a lot of hacks who don't have proper form/technique) BUT at least I got an idea of what the exercise should have looked or what I was supposed to be doing.

Or just dive in with both feet, face your fears and rock the weight section! I understand that terrifying feeling but I've come to prefer weight-lifting over cardio. It's worth the plunge. Good luck!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Look up the exercises from NROLFW and go to bodybuilding.com and they have fantastic instructional videos. I would watch them from my phone at the gym so i could make sure i was doing it properly. I just put my headphones in and turned the music up really loud and drowned out everyone there
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Take NROL4W along with you and book a trainer session (or short series of). Be specific that that's the program you want to do and that you want to be shown how to do the lifts correctly.

If it helps try to go to the gym when you know it will be quieter as that may be less intimidating for you.

After a few weeks it will become second nature to you. Lifting will boost your confidence and make you feel awesome.