Advice on my workout routine

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get bikini bod ready by July- doesnt sound too hard considering its still over 3 months away but I have been working out for the last 6 weeks and havent really seen a change and would love some advise.

I have never been an active person, never went to the gym etc but now i have a routine and love it, i have also been eating healthy about 5 days out of 7 which is a huge improvement on never..

my week looks like this;
Monday- Spin class
Tuesday- Body Pump
Wendesday- Yoga
Thursday- 20 mins cardio and 20 mins weights,
Friday- Rest
Sat and Sun- i dont go to the gym but am out and about walking around for hours.

sometimes i swap bodypump on Tuesdays for a thursday class but im just not seeing results.

Any advise on how to get flab off me and this body toned?

Thanks!

Replies

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Body pump is an awesome class. I would add some additional ab work to tone up. Also gotta throw in the sometimes cliche advice of drinking enough water. Good for you watching what you eat! Do you find you're eating processed foods or clean/whole/homemade foods? I've found that even if I'm meeting my calorie goal if I'm eating processed foods I stay bloated and it's harder to lose.
  • Greeo123
    Greeo123 Posts: 10
    i really enjoy body pump! and the Spin, just need to know what im doing is on the right track becuase i really want results!

i do try to eat clean food- so have eggs and banana for breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch and meat and vege for dinner, with raw almonds and berries for snacks.. i have definately upped the water intake too but havent seen many results..mostly because i will have a little naughty snack of chocolate or crisps, and let it relax in the weekend.

surely this all this working out and eating so much better should be working!! im just not seeing it, neither are the scales or the measuring tape!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Hmmm... How many calories are you eating? Might need to decrease or increase, play with it a little and see if it changes anything for you.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    I noticed the biggest change when I started hitting the weights. Don't be afraid to lift as much as you can. I dropped a lot of inches that way.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I noticed the biggest change when I started hitting the weights. Don't be afraid to lift as much as you can. I dropped a lot of inches that way.

this

you dont want too large a deficit if you are going for fat loss, and plenty of protein.
  • More cardio. You say you are walking around a lot on the weekends, which I assume means running errands. But are you getting your heart rate up? I would change it to 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes on the weights and add weights a couple more days a week as well. But that's just me. Every person is different. Maybe talk to a trainer?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to get bikini bod ready by July- doesnt sound too hard considering its still over 3 months away but I have been working out for the last 6 weeks and havent really seen a change and would love some advise.

I have never been an active person, never went to the gym etc but now i have a routine and love it, i have also been eating healthy about 5 days out of 7 which is a huge improvement on never..

my week looks like this;
    Monday- Spin class
    Tuesday- Body Pump
    Wendesday- Yoga
    Friday- Rest
    Sat and Sun- i dont go to the gym but am out and about walking around for hours.

sometimes i swap bodypump on Tuesdays for a thursday class but im just not seeing results.

Thanks!

The 3 pilars of exercise are strength training, cardio and flexibility. You've got:
    Monday: cardio
    Tuesday: cardio
    Wednesday: flexiblity
    Thursday: cardio, strength
    Friday: rest
    Weekend: active rest

Why do you rest on Friday before what is a fairly light weekend? I think you need more strength training and another day of stretching/flexiblity work. Personally, I'd do something more like this:
    Tuesday: strength
    Thursday: strength
    Friday: cardio
    Weekend: whatever, with some stretching at home.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    If you want tone. . .you need to lift the weights. Not sure about the body pump class, but if it uses weights, that's good. I'd add, at least one serious lifting day. . .maybe Sat or Sun. . .and make healthier choices a 7/7 day effort, not a 5/7 effort. That doesn't mean you don't enjoy the weekends, it just means you make better choices than having a free for all.

Hope you are happy with the results of your hard work by July!
  • Greeo123
    I try not to count them as much much anymore so i dont obsess about food all day long (not that it helps) but Its around 1200-1500 and im 5"9 so dont think im over eating- when im good! on a bad day i would probably maybe only go to 2000-2200. will add in some extra abs as you said earlier..

Will definately try to add more weights too, i can tell that i can handle a little more than usual lately so will just keep upping and uppling.
  • sarahbagley
    sarahbagley Posts: 18 Member
    consistency is key. keep it up. stay below or equal to your recommended calorie intake and stay active like you've been. you will see results.
  • Greeo123
    If you want tone. . .you need to lift the weights. Not sure about the body pump class, but if it uses weights, that's good. I'd add, at least one serious lifting day. . .maybe Sat or Sun. . .and make healthier choices a 7/7 day effort, not a 5/7 effort. That doesn't mean you don't enjoy the weekends, it just means you make better choices than having a free for all.

Hope you are happy with the results of your hard work by July!

Thanks! At body pump i do use as much weight as i can handle.. and have noticed its getting easier so will up and up it.
    I definately need to add something in at the weekend i think- might also help me to make better choices food wise as well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I try not to count them as much much anymore so i dont obsess about food all day long (not that it helps) but Its around 1200-1500 and im 5"9 so dont think im over eating- when im good! on a bad day i would probably maybe only go to 2000-2200. will add in some extra abs as you said earlier..

Will definately try to add more weights too, i can tell that i can handle a little more than usual lately so will just keep upping and uppling.

Assuming your measurements are correct, you're definitely not OVEReating.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Lift heavy weights at least twice a week.
  • i really enjoy body pump! and the Spin, just need to know what im doing is on the right track becuase i really want results!

i do try to eat clean food- so have eggs and banana for breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch and meat and vege for dinner, with raw almonds and berries for snacks.. i have definately upped the water intake too but havent seen many results..mostly because i will have a little naughty snack of chocolate or crisps, and let it relax in the weekend.

surely this all this working out and eating so much better should be working!! im just not seeing it, neither are the scales or the measuring tape!

A couple snack ideas, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me, sugar free jello and pudding. Lightly salted rice cakes with natural peanut butter is a good one too. Not sdure what you're doing with your eggs, but my trainer had me eating 3 egg whites, with one whole egg and 1 tbsp of cheese for breakfast.
  • Greeo123
    consistency is key. keep it up. stay below or equal to your recommended calorie intake and stay active like you've been. you will see results.

Thanks! i sure hope so! i am not letting the lack of results de-motivate me as i know i will certainly see nothing if thats the case!
  • Greeo123
    i really enjoy body pump! and the Spin, just need to know what im doing is on the right track becuase i really want results!

A couple snack ideas, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me, sugar free jello and pudding. Lightly salted rice cakes with natural peanut butter is a good one too. Not sdure what you're doing with your eggs, but my trainer had me eating 3 egg whites, with one whole egg and 1 tbsp of cheese for breakfast.

i really look forward to my snacks, as i love rasberries and backberries and the nuts really fill me up, but i may have to mix it up!
    im just having 2 of them boiled or scrambled with a dash of milk.
  • Greeo123

Assuming your measurements are correct, you're definitely not OVEReating.

i dont think I am as im never over full and not feeling bloated. i just think the weekend days are ruining it all- even though they arent that bad!
    Will be adding more weights to the end of the week and hopefully that should work!
  • Greeo123
    Hi Guys,

my week looks like this;
    Monday- Spin class
    Tuesday- Body Pump
    Wendesday- Yoga
    Friday- Rest

Thanks!

The 3 pilars of exercise are strength training, cardio and flexibility. You've got:
    Tuesday: cardio
    Thursday: cardio, strength
    Friday: rest
    Weekend: active rest

Why do you rest on Friday before what is a fairly light weekend? I think you need more strength training and another day of stretching/flexiblity work. Personally, I'd do something more like this:
    Tuesday: strength
    Thursday: strength
    Friday: cardio
    Weekend: whatever, with some stretching at home.

Friday is usually a day where i go out after work so dont work out, i think making an effort to get up early and go in the morning might be worth a try, thanks!