Peanut Butter vs. Protein Powder

Options
This is just something I have been thinking about lately. I have started craving peanut butter the last few weeks. I will eat about two tablespoons a day with either a banana or an apple. I have basically substituted this for my protein powder after workout shake. However, I am wondering how healthy peanut butter is compared to getting my protein intake from protein powder. My body has gotten "tired" of the protein powder. To be fair the thought of ingesting protein powder these days makes me cringe, that is how tired of it I am. However, what I have noticed recently is that I have been gaining weight (fat, not muscle) since I started eating peanut butter, and that is a problem for me. I am not sure if peanut butter is the culprit, but it lines up. I am trying to make the decision as to whether or not I should cut peanut butter out again and try something else. I work out with heavy cardio (boxing on a bag and circuit work) at least four times a week.

Now I know there are differences in fat, salt, and sugars when comparing the two. However, I am interested in your thoughts on peanut butter, whether you eat it or not, why or why not, etc. I usually eat the all natural creamy type where you mix in the oil. Thanks a lot.

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    unless you're GROSSLY underestimating the peanut butter you eat after you workout, (and if you did your body would be telling you to stop eating peanut butter) then i think you're either eating more calories elsewhere than you think or just retaining water.

I don't think the peanut butter is enough to be the culprit for you in and of itself.

As far as my thoughts on peanut butter goes, there's not enough addetives in even the no stir brands using hydrogenated oils (where studies show NO significant/measureable amounts of trans fat) to be concerened. 100% without question get what you like the taste of best.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I use one of those no-added-anything peanut butters. Its great but I have to keep it measured as its 500kcals per 100g ! so try to eat no more than 10g in a sitting!
  • Juppess
    Juppess Posts: 1
    Options
    Hiya :)

The problem with peanut butter is that it is swimming in oil. The only reason I'm saying this is because I left a bottle to sit for a month or so and it separated (this is normal according to the label). I actually managed to pour away pure oil!

I prefer to take Sculptress instead of plain protein shakes as they are more filling.

I wonder if your craving for peanut butter could be that you're lacking in salt?

Anyway, congrats on your weightloss xx
  • _noob_
    Options

The problem with peanut butter is that it is swimming in oil. The only reason I'm saying this is because I left a bottle to sit for a month or so and it separated (this is normal according to the label). I actually managed to pour away pure oil!

any other peanut butter eaters read this and cringe as badly as I did?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    unless you're GROSSLY underestimating the peanut butter you eat after you workout, (and if you did your body would be telling you to stop eating peanut butter) then i think you're either eating more calories elsewhere than you think or just retaining water.

I don't think the peanut butter is enough to be the culprit for you in and of itself.

As far as my thoughts on peanut butter goes, there's not enough addetives in even the no stir brands using hydrogenated oils (where studies show NO significant/measureable amounts of trans fat) to be concerened. 100% without question get what you like the taste of best.

^^ This. No single food in your diet is going to suddenly put fat on you unless you are eating at a calorie surplus. That, and protein powder isn't some magical food. If you can get your protein from regular food sources, I'd go with that. I only use powder when I can't get sufficient protein for the day or just feel like a shake.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I eat peanut butter almost every day but I do weigh it out. I'm not a lover of ingesting protein powder myself but you may want to try making a mug cake from it. I have been doing it and its so much easier to eat it in a few bites rather than sink a shake that you can't really stomach. In a mug I put a scoop of whey(I have used vanilla and chocolate varieties but prefer vanilla), add a tbsp water, tbsp or 2 milk, tbsp egg white, tbsp stevia and a little baking powder. I add cocoa, about half a teaspoon of to the vanilla one to make it chocolatey. Mix it well with a fork til the lumps go. Timing is rather important as this cooks super fast in the micro. I personally do 10 sec, see how it is and maybe another 10-15 secs. It will dry out if you over cook it and basically have the texture of a sponge. You can in fact add peanut butter to this mix or anything else you want, maybe pb on the top once its done. It should be gooey looking rather than dry.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

oooooo icky! oil . . . smh
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else concerned about the amount of protein? The type of "natural" peanut butter I use has 3g of protein per tbsp. The whey protein powder I use has 26g of protein per serving.

Unless you're having 8 tbsp of peanut butter per serving you're missing out on the protein your body needs after a workout (I'm assuming that's what you're using the protein powder for).

If you're comparing one vs. the other -- the protein powder wins hands-down in my opinion.

I know you're sick of it but maybe trying a new brand or flavour might help or mixing it with something :)
  • _noob_
    Options
    Is anyone else concerned about the amount of protein? The type of "natural" peanut butter I use has 3g of protein per tbsp. The whey protein powder I use has 26g of protein per serving.

if the powder was half her protein everyday then yeah, that could be a HUGE problem. Assuming she gets protein elsewhere, no big deal IMO.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    You could try PB2 (or chocloate PB2) to cut down on the fat and calories of Peanut butter while still getting the protein. Beware- It IS a powdered product though, you mix it with water or add it to milk.
  • jlmarcin
    jlmarcin Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I think my weight gain must have been mostly water, and not really the peanut butter consumption. I weighed in today and actually lost five pounds! I am still going to keep track of everything to make sure.

However, I will definitely take into consideration everything everyone said. That mug cake sounds like a great sub for a shake. also, looking back, there are some days i was subbing half my protein intake per day with protein powder. It is because I do not eat most meat, but beans and fish. I think I need to add in more protein rich foods. I guess I need to try tofu again. I was always so terrible with cooking that.

Have a great weekend!
    Jennifer
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

SO much cringing.