Oatmeal

Options
charlesnapolitano
charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
Is there really a difference in Old fashion oats, steel cut oats and quick oats? I used old fashion oats in my slow cooker oatmeal recipe and cooked them from 9pm to 5am and it came out soupy. Can someone explain to me did I really need to use steel cut oats in it?

Replies

• imafitnesstrainerlara
    Options
    Nutritionally not much.
    Steel cut are the least processed, but they aren't really nutritionally superior to the old fashioned which are just rolled out.
    Quick oats if I'm not wrong are just rolled even thinner so they cook faster.
    As long as you stay away from the packets with all the added sugar all are great for you.

Texture is going to be the biggest difference. I can't imagine steel cut oats being any less soupy than the old-fashioned
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i uae quacker old fashioned whole oats. never tried steel cut.

i make these pancakes

2 cups oatmeal
    1 cup egg whites
    cinnamon
    water
    blend /cook medium heat . BAM ~! i use some syrup or fresh fruit to make them sweeter .
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats, or rolled oats, are flattened out to make them cook faster. Steel cut oats take a lot longer to cook because there is less contact surface between the grain and the liquid you cook it in. Quick oats are essentially pulverized to maximize the contact surface.

There is an inverse relation between cooking time and the food's glycemic index: the longer it takes to cook, the slower the food is to digest (=good, if you have insulin sensitivity issues).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally not much.
    Steel cut are the least processed, but they aren't really nutritionally superior to the old fashioned which are just rolled out.
    Quick oats if I'm not wrong are just rolled even thinner so they cook faster.
    As long as you stay away from the packets with all the added sugar all are great for you.

Texture is going to be the biggest difference. I can't imagine steel cut oats being any less soupy than the old-fashioned

Packet oats are quick oats with added sugar and flavorings. On everything else, see my other comment.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know it takes more liquid to cook steel cut oats.... maybe that is why your oatmeal was soupy...
    I LOVE steel cut.. to me they have more flavor and texture... almost nutty.
  • charlesnapolitano
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • juliamamann
    Options
    for the purposes of your recipe, what you need to know is that steel cut oats take longer to cook, which is why they work well in the slow cooker, and why rolled oats don't work (the cooking time is too quick). I use steel cut oats in the slow cooker and it works pretty well.

TIP: Only use steel cut oats and use a double boiler!!! they won't burn or overcook.
    Here is a website to show you how: http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html
  • brinley00
    Options
    I make my Steel Cut Oats in my Rice cooker. 2 cups oats to 4 cups water. That makes 8 servings I freeze and eat all week. I put frozen fruit on top and eat with a yogurt. It is just great and filling.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally not much different. Steel cut oats take much longer to cook since they are less processed (rolled and flattened). I think the texture is nicer too...more heft to it. I do mine in the slow cooker with almond milk instead of water. Yum.
  • charlesnapolitano
    Options
    for the purposes of your recipe, what you need to know is that steel cut oats take longer to cook, which is why they work well in the slow cooker, and why rolled oats don't work (the cooking time is too quick). I use steel cut oats in the slow cooker and it works pretty well.

TIP: Only use steel cut oats and use a double boiler!!! they won't burn or overcook.
    Here is a website to show you how: http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html

gonna try this too