Upper body aerobics

Options
I will be having surgery on my right foot in May, so my normal workout routine (high impact aerobics classes, running on the treadmill, using the step machine) will have to be put on hold for 2-6 months. However, it took me so long to stop being lazy and start working out; I don't want an excuse to go back to my old ways! Anyone have any suggestions for good, calorie burning upper body workouts (or any kind of workout I can do with a hurt foot)?

29588094.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too - I might have to have screws removed from my pelvis this year and will likely be banned from strenuous lower body activities for a while.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There are "arm bicycles" you can get, my husband has used them in physical therapy and they seemed to get his heart rate going decently, plus it's easy to do while watching TV. =) I like to spin poi sometimes for fun, which is spinning 2 balls on cords in different patterns like a dance, maybe google it and see if this is something you could do?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Google seated or chair workouts. Also, if all else fails, punch the air while seat. I know it sounds weird, but you can do jabs, hooks and upper cuts. If you really put energy behind it, you'll feel it, and you'll get your HR up.
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had major foot surgery a few years back and my doctor gave me a wet suit gear type device for my foot and encouraged me to go to the pool and to use it the very day after getting home! Getting in and out of the water on only one foot posed its challenges as I was not to bare any weight whatsoever on the foot. And for awhile couldn't use that foot to kick with obviously but swimming with one leg and two arms still gave me a good cardio workout. I can call the office and find out the name of the device if it turns out this is an option for you. I do remember it is pricey (in the $100 plus a little more price range if I remember accurately.)
  • shellbell8406
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I had thought about getting an arm bike to use. And I will have to look into the poi spinning, I've never heard of it before!

Any and all other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Never considered an arm bike. Great idea.
  • Fit2befitZ
    Fit2befitZ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I have any lower body injuries, I always revert to kickboxing punches! All kinds of them in a bit of a circuit. Keeps you going while recovery. I did this after back surgery and I kept my fitness level. Hope this helps!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Hey what surgery are you doing? I am having surgery on my right foot on Friday and a little nervouse about the exercise. I will be doing the arm bike a few days after the surgery. I have a sesamoid fracture.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Shadowboxing is great.

Also, check out this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/945523-can-t-walk-how-can-i-burn
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will be having surgery on my right foot in May, so my normal workout routine (high impact aerobics classes, running on the treadmill, using the step machine) will have to be put on hold for 2-6 months. However, it took me so long to stop being lazy and start working out; I don't want an excuse to go back to my old ways! Anyone have any suggestions for good, calorie burning upper body workouts (or any kind of workout I can do with a hurt foot)?

29588094.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I was scheduled to have surgery next week on my left foot and that was going to put my workout routine on hold as well. I decided to purchase a "battling rope". If you've never tried it, don't be fooled by the youtube vids or the concept. These ropes will kick your rear-end. I ended up have to reschedule my surgery but order the rope beforehand. It's been a nice addition to my current routine and will definitely come in handy when I'm temporarily not able to perform higher-impact workouts.
  • shellbell8406
    Options
    Hey what surgery are you doing? I am having surgery on my right foot on Friday and a little nervouse about the exercise. I will be doing the arm bike a few days after the surgery. I have a sesamoid fracture.

I am having a bunion removed. I've had it for as long as I can remember, with it bothering me from time to time, but this year (I think because I've been so much more active), it has gotten massively worse.

29588094.png
  • shellbell8406
    Options
    Bump...keep the ideas coming guys! :)

29588094.png