How to Stay On Track

Options
Alright people, it's confession time! I am a teacher and Spring Break was fun, but I ate just about everything in sight! I have completely gained back all of the weight I have lost! I was excited to come back to school and get back into my groove! I made a plan for myself and was following it to the "T". However, there was an unexpected dinner that came up, and since it wasn't a part of my plan, I started off with a normal sized meal, and then I had a little bit more, and then I had a little bit more, and the next thing I knew I had eaten waaay more than I was expecting to!

Any suggestions/tips on how to tell yourself "NO" when it comes to things that aren't a part of your plan. I mean I know that meals that aren't a part of your plan are going to come up, but how do you STOP after the first plate...I'm struggling to wrap my brain around it, and then I feel horrible about it and then it's the whole downward spiral effect.

Thoughts??

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    1) As much as possible, keep trigger foods out of your home. In time you'll be able to reincorporate them. Give yourself room while you're learning this.

2) Smaller plates, smaller portions. Give it 15 to 20 minutes before you go back for seconds.

3) Don't go hungry. Over eating is a lot more tempting when you're ravenous.

4) This is a learning process. You dropped the weight before. You can do it again.

5) You are looking at what happened and taking steps to work through it. That's a win!
  • afraser1991
    Options
    The one thing that has helped me has been my water intake. When I find out about that unexpected meal I drink a large glass of water about 30mins before we eat, then another glass for supper. This helps fill your stomach and allows you to eat less.

The other thing is I workout in the morning. The reason for that is I have found if I workout in the morning all day I’m thinking "if i eat this will it screw up what I’ve already done?" and it helps me think about what I’m about to eat rather than eat first think later.

Hope this helps :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    advice...?

Advice is like tricking you into thinking you want it... the truth is you have to want it. You have to want to be fit and healthy more than you want to take your next breath. I have been called obsessed... I call it dedication.

You have to be so focused that when that situation arrives..."Do I eat this ice cream and cake for this retirement party?" That you dont even think about it you know that an apple is the better choice.

You have to want it and ask yourself every day how bad you want it? What are you going to do today to take what you want?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    1) As much as possible, keep trigger foods out of your home. In time you'll be able to reincorporate them. Give yourself room while you're learning this.

2) Smaller plates, smaller portions. Give it 15 to 20 minutes before you go back for seconds.

3) Don't go hungry. Over eating is a lot more tempting when you're ravenous.

4) This is a learning process. You dropped the weight before. You can do it again.

5) You are looking at what happened and taking steps to work through it. That's a win!
    Good advice there. #2 and #3 are HUGE for me. In fact, keeping myself from getting to ravenous makes dealing with 1 and 2 much easier.
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me also over Spring break..then Easter hit..and so did the ham that was turned into pea soup= a big swollen belly of sodium:( Back at it full swing I'm so over the soup! Focus focus:)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try to focus on socializing with the people around you instead of going back for more food. I sometimes am so busy talking, I forget about wanting seconds. And as has been pointed out before, try to wait the 15 to 20 minutes before you decide to go back.
  • spodo17
    spodo17 Posts: 2
    Options
    These are awesome tips that I just needed to be reminded of! Thank you!
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i try to eat slower. i heard every meal should take 20 minutes to finish so your body knows when you're getting full. if you eat fast, you're more likely to eat more.