Need advice from runners!

Options
tjmist
tjmist Posts: 45 Member
I'm training for a half-marathon which is coming up on May 18th. I'm using the Hal Higdon training program which has me running 3 times a week (2 short runs 1 long run), doing weights twice a week, and cross training twice a week. Each week you gradually increase your mileage on your runs.

I'm about half way through the program, and the beginning was tough but not impossible! I got up to 7 miles in pretty good form, and now all of a sudden it's become so difficult!

I ran 4.5 miles yesterday which at this point in my training is considered a "short run" and I felt like I was going to die the entire time!

What happened!?!?! I went from running 10ks comfortably at a fast pace, to barely finishing 4.5 miles at a snails pace! Has this ever happened to anyone? Am I not stretching enough? I'm at such a loss since my training only gets harder from here on out. My next long run is 8 miles, and all I keep thinking is how can I do 8 if i can barely do 4.5???

Anyone with similar experiences or advice to offer please help!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    How much has your pace changed? It sounds like you're just getting fatigued, which is common. I've just started to slow my runs down (my half is only a week and a half away!) and yesterday's run was at a faster pace than I planned to do, because it felt easier. Felt like a little light bulb moment that running super slow actually is beneficial. I struggle with that and tend to do all my runs at a tempo pace.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Sonds like you are training 7 days a week...your body needs rest days and I am pretty sure it is telling you so. I had to lessen the frequency of my runs when i started weight training. If you are on a specific running training plan, then take two other days off from training each week and see how you feel in a week. Also, make sure you are eating enough food.
  • tjmist
    Options
    Up until last week I was running at a 9:50 pace per mile, which for me is pretty respectable. Last night I was up to like 11:00 mins per mile which is slower than I was when I started training! I don't know how it could be so different so quickly! The last 7 weeks I was running 5 to 7 miles at a time at a 9:50 / 10:00 per mile pace, and last night 4.5 miles felt like 26 miles! I'm hoping it's the weather, or I'm getting sick, otherwise I don't know how I'm going to be able to finish this training.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You total load will be a lot more over a week than you're used to for 10Ks. Try slowing right down, or taking walk breaks, both of which Higdon recommends. Getting round the distance is the most important thing, speed will come with the race and, more importantly, future races.
    :
    "Don't worry about how fast you run your regular workouts. Run at a comfortable pace. If you're training with a friend, the two of you should be able to hold a conversation. If you can't do that, you're running too fast. (For those wearing heart rate monitors, your target zone should be between 65 and 75 percent of your maximum pulse rate."

Also keep your cross training really easy - a gentle stroll or a swim just to ease out your limbs. Think of them as "active rest" days, not "get even fitter" days.

And do make sure you're eating enough and getting enough rest.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tjmist
    Options
    I'm definitely eating! I usually eat anywhere between 1,000-1,500 calories per day, I log everything as a guide but don't really stress if I go over or under etc.

I'm working out 6 days a week with 1 rest day, (one day the training program has us double up with running and strength training, if you noticed the numbers add up to 7)

Could it be not eating enough? That's usually not a problem for me haha but definitely something that's worth a shot! Thanks for all your help!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are using a heart rate monitor keep your easy and long runs at 75% max heart rate and below. Running them harder than that doesn't build fitness faster and just makes you tired.

Also, everyone has a bad run once in a while. There is nothing to worry about unless it continues for 2 or 3 runs. If that happens you need to reduce your workload until you recover. Slow the runs if you have been going too fast and add a rest day or two.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    The same thing has been happening to me. You might need to start having something with carbs in it in the middle of your long run. Like gatorade or a gel or something. The calorie deficit definitely has an affect on me as well. I lessen my deficit the day before and the day of my long run and it seems to help.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    As a heavy guy I'm who has done alot of running and finishing my first Full marathon last year I can tell you that Each day is different. MANY things could have affected your pace and the way you feel. Insufficient hydration, poor diet, diet style that makes you feel sluggish and heavy, fatigue/sleep, Lack of nutrition. All of these things can affect your run in this way.

Look at these things and evaluate if you are meeting your bodies needs for the intense training that you are putting it through. Remember...When training for a long distance. Hal Higdon says it isn't how fast you do the miles its that you do the miles. Get your runs in no matter the pace your body will come back around.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely eating! I usually eat anywhere between 1,000-1,500 calories per day, I log everything as a guide but don't really stress if I go over or under etc.

I'm working out 6 days a week with 1 rest day, (one day the training program has us double up with running and strength training, if you noticed the numbers add up to 7)

Could it be not eating enough? That's usually not a problem for me haha but definitely something that's worth a shot! Thanks for all your help!
    Definitely not eating enough! That's barely enough to function if you lie in bed all day. You're burning at least 800 on your longer runs and you should eat them back or you won't have the energy to do the next run.You don't have to eat them all on that day, just up your daily average over the week.

I ate 2,500 calories or more on long run days when I was marathon training!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Have you raced a 5k? Your pace for easy & long runs should be at least 90 seconds slower than your 5k race pace. If your 5k race pace was not at least 8:20 or faster then you are training too fast and the excess tiredness is expected.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of distance running and sometimes you just have "off" runs. Sometimes you are tired, maybe didn't eat right, etc. Last year I did the Marine Corp Marathon and felt awful from mile 10 until the finish. I felt like I was running so hard but my pace was really slow. The following weekend I ran the Savannah Marathon and felt fantastic.
  • tjmist
    Options
    I really haven't been trying to run fast or race myself, my comfortable conversational pace is around 10:00 per mile or so, and on my good runs I've noticed that without trying I've gotten faster to hit below 10:00 per mile.

I have a 10k race this Saturday which is really the first time I was planing on pushing to go my fastest to see what I can do.

I'm planning on taking it easy this week in preparation for Saturday and hopefully that is all my body needs to recover.

Thank you for all of the advice! I'm still pretty new at running and was getting so excited about my progress thus far, I guess it was bound to slow down eventually!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You're underfuelled. You'll run better if you eat enough.
  • sconnaghan
    sconnaghan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does your program incorporate a recovery week. Once every 4 weeks or so you should scale back your running program, no long, speed or tempo runs, to just have easy runs (guessing 3-4 miles at 10:30/ for 3 or 4 days based on what you posted). This is to allow for literally "recovery". If you look at even insanity they include something similar.

Otherwise look towards nutrition, Juliemamann already mentioned adding in gatorade or gels (I like the Gu Chomps) during your runs which will help. Unless you have fat stored to burn, which judging from your pic you don't, you will need to have some intake calories during longer runs as well as up your total carbs daily. The last obvious thing to check is basic hydration. If you can weigh yourself before and after a run, whatever you lose - drink (~1lb = 1 bottle of water).

Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Definitely not eating enough! That's barely enough to function if you lie in bed all day. You're burning at least 800 on your longer runs and you should eat them back or you won't have the energy to do the next run.You don't have to eat them all on that day, just up your daily average over the week.

I ate 2,500 calories or more on long run days when I was marathon training!

Agree. I eat up to 2700 calories on long run days, depending on how much I burned. 1500 is NOT enough for that kind of work.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Holy Crap....Add 500 calls to that to start see how you feel
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I'm using the Hal Higdon plan for my first half on May 12, and I love it. Love the balance of long/short runs, strength and cross-training. For whatever reason, I had a terrible run two Saturdays ago - really winded, felt like my legs were made of cement, I was just miserable. And I can relate to the stress when you think about how much more training we have to go. This past weekend's run was SO much better. I'm chalking up that bad run to just a bad day. Hope we don't have too many more of those! Good luck to you!
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you eating something during your runs? Sounds to me like you're bonking out. I can't do more than 4 miles without bonking. Get some shotblocks, gatorade,slices of fruit or honey to eat every 30 minutes or so. I would also say that even 1500 calories is way below what you need on long run days, so eat up!

This is a good page that explains bonking: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_wellness/tno_nutritionarticle_12.asp
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    Not every run will be the ideal run. You're pushing yourself to a half in a month in a half, so you'll need to keep up your training, but part of that will require rest. If you push yourself too hard, you risk injury and that will throw a wrench in your plans.

Also, sounds like you aren't eating enough. You're not running to lose weight right now, you are training. Also I find hydration plays a big part in how I feel when running.

You don't need to actually reach 13.1 prior to the race miles to complete a half. I've heard the training done a month prior to a race has little impact on performance the day of. My longest run prior to a half was 9 miles. I actually didn't run at all in the month between my 9 mile run and the half I ran, because I injured my knee. I did other cardio work, but I honestly didn't expect to finish the half because I was not running. It turned out to be not that bad. However my pace was 11:15, where my 5k pace is <9.