Canadian gal - new to MFP, old hand at the struggle

Options
Only on day 3 of MFP, bound & determined to get SOME weight off. Faced with an aging body (OMG, I'm 52 and I sound like I'm 102!) but seriously, life can throw some complications at you, things are harder now than when I was younger. Nevertheless, I WILL start with a completely do-able 20 lb weight loss goal. I just want to be comfortable in my skin, you know?! It was only when I tracked my food the other day that I realized why my pants are so tight: I eat too much. I am active but will be increasing my activity level, seriously gotta watch my portions. Anyhow, if there are any other middle-aged ladies out there (I live in Atlantic Canada) new to this and looking for support, send me a friend request. I'm a WW lifetime member (obviously NOT at goal) but I just can't seem to go back to counting points, so I thought tracking calories would be a good start. I was only looking for a food-tracking app when I found MFP; I'm very impressed with the site and tools, and thought I'd try to connect to some other ladies struggling with their weight as well.

Replies

• WorkinNurse
    WorkinNurse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am a Canadian gal in Ontario still struggling with up and down and life and all of the above including menopause! Yikes! I am 55 and have also done WW and Atkins and Herbal Stuff and and and... It seems I do okay during the week (okay not this week... sigh) but the weekends are my nemesis. Nice to meet you! Would be glad to be your friend!
  • CarlottaGorda
    Options
    Oh yeah, so been there - WW, Atkins, cabbage soup, Slim Fast bars, prescription (Meridia), non-prescription (Dexatrim, Alli [yech[), PGX) ... I tried non-dairy, currently on a gluten-free kick (but my Mom is celiac, and sometimes wheat just leaves me feeling bloated and gross) .... I joke that my metabolism (as hurtin' as it was) "left me for a younger woman". I think my only saving grace is that I'm quite active.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I'm from the Canadian prairies - Saskatchewan. I signed up to MFP around Christmas because my daughter's PE teacher had them use it from January to March to track their food, so I decided to check it out. It's been a blessing!

I'll be 52 this summer, I'm about 5' 6.5" tall and started the year out at 176.5 pounds. I'm on medication for high blood pressure and am totally inactive. My exercise goal in MFP is zero, so any exercise I do is a bonus. With the help of MFP I'm now down to 148.5 pounds.

Funny you should mention gluten-free, as I just started reading a book called "Wheat Belly". It's been very enlightening & is making me think seriously about eliminating or at least significantly reducing my wheat & related gluten grains. My husband is a breadaholic & I think would benefit from a sharp reduction.

I hope you enjoy success with this app/web site. It's proven to be a great tool to me.

"The Dij" (a nickname from the olden days when "The Fonz" from Happy Days was so cool)
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hello Canadians! I am a Calgarian :) Always looking for new friends!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Not Canadian, I'm south of you lol....but feel free to add if you'd like. :smile:
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Morning hun, I just turned 49 and would love it if you sent me a friend request. I've been doing this my whole life and would be happy to give any advice you may ask.:flowerforyou:
  • TanyatheBrave
    Options
    I'm Canadian too and love to lend some encouragement and support! Add me if you like! :)