DO or DON'T Weight Yourself Everyday??

Options

Replies

• DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can weigh myself every morning without it driving me crazy...others can't. I only more"weigh in" once a week but I just like to keep an eye on it. I think if it doesn't drive you crazy then weigh whenever you want.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. I expect fluxuations but I think it keeps me more on top of my eating throughout the week. I don't track my weight on here until I see a significant change that stays consistent for 2 or more days in a row.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Daily. My weight fluctuates too much from day to day to just weigh weekly. Weighing daily helps to keep me accountable and to stop and upward swings before they get too out of control.
  • Sylwill
    Sylwill Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This depends solely on you. Do you know and understand what the number on the scale means? Do you know and understand natural weight fluctuations and why they occur? Do you understand that it is scientifically impossible to gain or lose a 1Lb or 5 Lbs or whatever of fat over night...do you understand the science of all of this?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, then you'll probably be fine weighing daily. If the thought of watching your weight fluctuate as much as 5 Lbs on a daily basis bothers you then I'd do weekly or even every couple of weeks. I like daily because I like to analyze data (which happens to be my job)...so I like having lots of data to work with and doing graphs and charts and whatnot....I understand all of the science behind this and I understand natural weight fluctuations, including those induced by my workouts...which happened to cause me t be up 6 Lbs today from yesterday :laugh: I understand these things, so they don't bother me.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    NO. Throw away the scale and get out the tape measure. Go by how your clothes fit. The scale is just too damn depressing.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    i check every day but only record me weight Wednesdays and Saturdays.
  • splendajoy
    splendajoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The ups and downs don't bother me, so I weigh daily, in the morning before I eat or get dressed. I do actually record every day, both so that I can see the trends (which again helps prevent me from freaking out over fluctuations) and to hold myself accountable.

But it is indeed a very personal thing.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking anything. I only count the losses.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day for a baseline weight. I retain water like a sponge. I'm tracking sodium too. If I've gone over my sodium I can almost guarentee I'm going to be up the next day. The trend is down though. :bigsmile:
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have decided to weigh myself every 10 days, and to take a new picture every ten days. I think It's going to be helpful for my mind set in the long run. It keeps me off the scale and taking the picture I think will help me notice little changes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Personally I weigh every morning so I can gauge what I believe I need to do for that day. I'm not hung up on the numbers nor the normal fluctuations.
    People who live and die by the scale shouldn't weigh every day because it screws with their confidence if they see a gain however slight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Every day, several times a day. Not because I'm obsessed,but because knowing that the number I see on the scale changes every hour or two depending on SO man different things makes me feel better.
    Yesterday I 'gained' 8 pounds. If I hadn't weighed myself a few hours before and seen a number I was more comfortable with, I probably would've had a heart attack

But then I decided to be reasonable. I said "HM, I woke up around 180 pounds, why would I be falling asleep at 188? Did I eat that many calories? Most certainly not! So if I wake up tomorrow at 186 I can probably continue to be calm!"

I record whenever I see a loss, usually once a week :]

Exact same thing. Weigh like crazy, record whenever you drop below your previous lowest.

I do this everyday....makes me crazy:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't care what I'm supposed to do. I weigh myself everyday. Sometimes several times a day. If I see a scale, I usually step on it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. I have only owned a scale for 2 weeks now and I weigh almost every day to get an overall idea. Then I "officially" weigh-in every Monday morning when I wake up. The number seems to be pretty representative of the real number and it doesn't bug me if there was 1 day earlier in the week when I weighed in at 1-2 lb less. I'd rather know that though.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Stop the obsession. Track your intake and burns, weigh once a month
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Once a week... otherwise I get frustrated by the bouncing up & down.
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on what you're aiming for but I think weighing myself every day would be mentally exhausting!

I personally weigh myself once a week. Every Friday morning before I have breakfast.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When I started I weighted 4 times a day. I know - can we say obsessed?

BUT, it turned out to be a way to gain rather useful information - I was able to get a handle on how much my weight varies from normal water/food/etc over the course of a day which helps me to not freak out if I "gain" a couple pounds from one day to the next since I know it is normal for my body. I found I gained about 5 pounds from morning to night so I know this window of error is nothing to freak out over since it is likely just water and I know I did not eat 17500 extra calories overnight!

Once I got a grip on that, I moved to once a day and then weekly. Now I am within 10 pounds and weight only monthly because it comes off much slower now.
  • ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You'll get lots of different answers but I weigh myself every day so that I can see the trend, I don't get hung up on if I'm up 3lbs one day and down 2lbs the next, it's the overall pattern that I like to be aware of.

If I only weigh myself once a week then I find that I have no idea about the overall trend ie, I don't know if I was weighing myself on a 'heavy' day or a 'light' day.

This is what works for me.

^^this :) plus i actually get discouraged if i wait and do it only once a week because i expect a loss...and if i dont get one it can bring me down.